Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Breaking the Holiday monopoly.

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2006, 12:25 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking the Holiday monopoly.

I'm sick and tired of being told when I can take my child out of school for a family holiday. The stress that my wife has to go through competing with other people in her office for high-demand weeks of the year; the premium you have to pay to go on holiday in half-term at the same time as everyone else. And then we are told that there might be legislation to fine people for taking their child out of school for holidays in term-time.

My seven-year old is in the top classes for all his academic disciplines, he gets home support that is second to none in the homework that he's set...

Why the **** can't he go on holiday when WE decide to go? Apart from exam weeks, ANY week would be ok, bearing in mind that most kids lose weeks *****-nilly to "stomach-bugs" etc all the time.

I'm taking a stand. When we decide to go on holiday next year, I shall write to the school telling them when we are going (which will be outside the peak period) and detail all my reasons for doing so.

Bolshie **** mode ON!
Old 09 June 2006, 12:37 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The schools I work in, you are allowed upto 10 days holiday in term time per year

guess you need a different school, or have words on them changing their policy
Old 09 June 2006, 12:38 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

whats the big deal...just take him out of school and go, i do.
Old 09 June 2006, 12:40 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
whats the big deal...just take him out of school and go, i do.
Yes, I agree. It's just that we've always tried to follow the rules and work with the school as well as being good parents.

No more of that.
Old 09 June 2006, 01:12 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

yo con, me da' tuk may ot of skool an tuk me rand the wuld to some lurvly placez.

Day do me any arm day it r kid?

Seriously, we never bothered adhereing to "school holidays". Just booked as and when it suited us, obviously avoiding important things like the main exams, of course

All that was needed to be done, was to fill in a holdiday form. Which I had to hand to the deputy, and it used to be ME who got the bollocking from the Deputy head for a decision made by my parents that I played no part in, yet I get put through hell over it.

I've always said teachers had no sense of sensible reasoning.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 June 2006 at 01:16 AM. Reason: "Just" three times, perhaps I should've stayed in school :rolleyes:
Old 09 June 2006, 07:31 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am lucky in that respect as i am allowed to take my daughter out of school at anytime for a holiday

in fact i feel like taking another soon
Old 09 June 2006, 07:56 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i am lucky in that respect as i am allowed to take my daughter out of school at anytime for a holiday

in fact i feel like taking another soon
Do you want to see if you can work your magic on my boss, and come and get me out of work for a holiday too

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2006, 08:02 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I'm sick and tired of being told when I can take my child out of school for a family holiday. The stress that my wife has to go through competing with other people in her office for high-demand weeks of the year; the premium you have to pay to go on holiday in half-term at the same time as everyone else. And then we are told that there might be legislation to fine people for taking their child out of school for holidays in term-time.

My seven-year old is in the top classes for all his academic disciplines, he gets home support that is second to none in the homework that he's set...

Why the **** can't he go on holiday when WE decide to go? Apart from exam weeks, ANY week would be ok, bearing in mind that most kids lose weeks *****-nilly to "stomach-bugs" etc all the time.

I'm taking a stand. When we decide to go on holiday next year, I shall write to the school telling them when we are going (which will be outside the peak period) and detail all my reasons for doing so.

Bolshie **** mode ON!
Now if you were a REAL man BP none of this would be an issue. Your wife would be able to stay home and raise your children - home schooling them in the important lessons in life whilst, at the same time, baking delightful, healthy and nutritious meals which would be ready on the table when you got home from a long day in the office.

In addition you would have an immaculately well kept home and, if she's a proper wife, fabulous clothing woven from hemp and stitched together by her own fair hands.

Mischevious wind up mode ON!
Old 09 June 2006, 08:07 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4618639.stm

"Parents who still fail to get their children to school could face fines of up to £2,500 or three months in prison. "
Old 09 June 2006, 08:38 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Do you want to see if you can work your magic on my boss, and come and get me out of work for a holiday too
as my daughter has disabilities, taking her on holiday during peak season is very difficult, thats why we have more freedom than normal

i hate holibobs where there are squillions of kids anyway
Old 09 June 2006, 08:42 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4618639.stm

"Parents who still fail to get their children to school could face fines of up to £2,500 or three months in prison. "
Problem solved then Bubba! It's only £50 for a 'first offence' which is bound to be less than the premuim you'd pay the holiday company alone! So for the reduced stress, cheaper holiday and for getting one-up on the school, £50 is a bargain!
Old 09 June 2006, 08:43 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

LOL - always a positive
Old 09 June 2006, 08:44 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Serves you right for having kids

Simply put them up for adoption and then you can take your holidays when you want with no premium

Seems obvious to me
Old 09 June 2006, 08:52 AM
Jackcat
Scooby Newbie

Angry kids and holidays...

I am going to get flamed for this probably, but I want a holiday where I dont have kids running around everywhere, thats why i go away during term times, but more and more irresponsible parents are taking their kids out of school.

Kids get over 13 weeks a year holiday - surely you could just stick to holidaying in those times, rather than a) whinging and b) annoying those who dont want kids ruining their holidays

Bring on the flames....!!
Old 09 June 2006, 09:02 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jackcat
I am going to get flamed for this probably, but I want a holiday where I dont have kids running around everywhere, thats why i go away during term times, but more and more irresponsible parents are taking their kids out of school.

Kids get over 13 weeks a year holiday - surely you could just stick to holidaying in those times, rather than a) whinging and b) annoying those who dont want kids ruining their holidays

if school holidays were the cheepest time to travel you would have your wish

i am one of those parents who takes my daughter on holiday when its term time and there are no other kids.........bliss
Old 09 June 2006, 09:04 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Old 09 June 2006, 09:07 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Smacks of elitism this one
Old 09 June 2006, 10:01 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by Jackcat

Who needs to flame you? If i want the sort of holiday you describe i leave my kids here and pay to go somewhere that families dont go.....if i want to take the kids i go in school time and ruin your week.

I have no problem with that so no need to flame you....of course your problem seems to be just that....tuff!
Old 09 June 2006, 10:12 AM
sociopath
BANNED

I thought it had already been established that The Smug Wino is a bad parent and his kids are precocious brats?

Therefore no need to keep reminding us!