Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2006, 05:30 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Insurance

Now I may be missing something here so some advice would be good.

I own a coach house.

This is a detacahed building (except someones garage is attached at the back), it consists of 4 garages utility room and a hallway on the ground floor. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and an open plan living room/kitchen on the first floor. It's brand new, brick walls etc.

3 of the 4 garages are leased to other houses in the development. As a result I can claim back 30% of the building insurance premium from the plots that use the garages.

Seems simple enough. I got insured etc. The solicitor requird a copy of the policy. He came back saying it needed to state that the garages were covered by the policy. This is the confusing bit, I'm insuring the building I own the free hold so surely the garages form part of the building? Spoke to the insurers and they have said the garahes are not covered and and my premium is now going up by ... £255! to insure the fround floor of my property. The total premium is over £600.

As a check I did some online quotes and the premium is about £180 give or take. Can't believe because 3 of the garages are let out the policy would be 3 times higher. I accept it will be slightly higher as more people use the garages so have more chance of damaging them.

It seems like the insurers think I'm insuring a seperate building or something. This isn't helped by the fact the solicitors advised the garages should be insured for 90k! Despite explaining this I can't get them to understand it's a single freehold detached 2 bedroom property. 600 quid takes the pi55.

Anyone had/has a similar property?
Old 05 June 2006, 05:36 PM
King RA
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never had this problem, no..