Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Back to the floor !

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2006, 07:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back to the floor !

Well, I started working for Woolworths recently in the IT department, somebody mentioned that all new starters on management grades which is me (funny as I dont have any staff to manage, maybe just managing myself is enough) have to do a day in a Woolies shop doing the shop girl/boy thing, so tommorow I will be 'working' at an undisclosed South Manchester branch of Woolworths, and I thought they were pulling my leg.

My retired father in law (who likes taking the ****/winding me up and livels local to the store) is going to pay a visit to gloat, I will have a word with the secuirty guard and forewarn him, perhaps to contrive a 'Can you come with me sir, until the Police arrive' situation !

ANyone else done this kind of thing, apparently at CHristmas is may happen again as its all hands to the pump.
Old 04 June 2006, 08:41 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think its a great idea
Old 04 June 2006, 08:53 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

What's up Jacko ? Too high and mighty to face Joe Public ? It'll do you good. Go in there with the right attitude and SMILE at the customers. After all............ if it wasn't for them..........you wouldn't have a job.
Enjoy !
Yve
Old 04 June 2006, 09:12 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Heh, so when you're tweaking the till hardware, or the website stuff and break it, you'll know what its like to be at the sharp end

J
Old 04 June 2006, 09:35 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

get me a big bar of toberlone will ya
Old 04 June 2006, 09:57 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

When my wife joined DHL as a UNIX admin she had to spend a day riding along with a delivery van.
Old 05 June 2006, 09:06 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I used to be a manager at O2 who worked in projects and when the poo hit the fan and the queues used to be at all time highs they used to demand that folk like me went a "call snatched"... This means just reduce the queues by taking complainants names and numbers and promising them a call back within 24 hours...
I and many others did all manner of things to try and get out of it and I was very successful in skiving from my responsibilties...
Its no bad thing to go back to the floor and SEE what goes on there, maybe to even muck in if the mood takes you, but I came from the floor and had worked up, I knew the problems they have and had worked hard to get up and away from it so when they came knocking at my door, I wasnt in

Trending Topics

Old 05 June 2006, 09:29 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

J4cko, good for you mate

doesn't hurt one bit, and i'm sure you'll have a laugh...

if there is any pick'n'mix going, put me down for a bag!!!!

Dazza
Old 05 June 2006, 03:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you just observe? Sounds odd to put you into a job, however "menial", with no training whatsoever.
Old 05 June 2006, 03:25 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Sounds pretty similar to what Phones 4U did to their I.T Staff. But you could end up anywhere in the country even on a Staurday, and not get paid for it.
Old 05 June 2006, 03:44 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Happened to me when I was managing the IT department of a national chain of web cafes. Ended up working airside at Gatwick - what a scream that was!
Old 05 June 2006, 03:49 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
'working' at an undisclosed South Manchester branch of Woolworths, and I thought they were pulling my leg.
Which one is it - there could be a mini meet for the Machester SNetters .

ps - they did this when I worked for Hertz 20 years ago.

Marble Arch Car rental outlet was fooking fantastic - the birds

Last edited by Reality; 05 June 2006 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05 June 2006, 04:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Surely you'd have trained to be a monkey in the first place? Degrading if you ask me.
Old 05 June 2006, 04:12 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Which one is it - there could be a mini meet for the Machester SNetters .

ps - they did this when I worked for Hertz 20 years ago.

Marble Arch Car rental outlet was fooking fantastic - the birds

Having a guess i'd say Stockport branch
Old 05 June 2006, 04:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pity a few others in managerial positions dont have to do this. Maybe then they'd realise what its like to be at the sharp end of things.

Chip
Old 05 June 2006, 05:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Or maybe they know what it's like, and are smart enough to choose managerial positions instead?
Old 05 June 2006, 05:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

they do this at nissan in sunderland with all the office staff

quite funny tbh

they have to do a shift or a week (cant remember but i sway towards a week) on the factory floor building the cars so they know what its like, obviously they dont get heavy jobs, but its still pretty funny seeing them run around like headless chickens

i can remember a quite fit young blonde coming down for some work and she was assigned to "fletch the letch"
he told me "im going to make her sweat until her fanny looks like a waterfall"

felt a little sorry for her TBH
Old 05 June 2006, 05:21 PM
King RA
BANNED

Well, I started working for Woolworths recently in the IT department, somebody mentioned that all new starters on management grades which is me (funny as I dont have any staff to manage, maybe just managing myself is enough) have to do a day in a Woolies shop doing the shop girl/boy thing, so tommorow I will be 'working' at an undisclosed South Manchester branch of Woolworths, and I thought they were pulling my leg.

My retired father in law (who likes taking the ****/winding me up and livels local to the store) is going to pay a visit to gloat, I will have a word with the secuirty guard and forewarn him, perhaps to contrive a 'Can you come with me sir, until the Police arrive' situation !

ANyone else done this kind of thing, apparently at CHristmas is may happen again as its all hands to the pump.
I work in the EUK IT department.
Old 05 June 2006, 06:24 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I'm glad i am IT manager in a place without a shop LOL I'd change job if that was the case
Old 05 June 2006, 07:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It was Altrincham and its been quite interesting, just there as an observer on the Public bit but mucked in for a bit in the warehouse and putting stuff on shelves (a lot more technical that you might at first suspect).

'Surely you'd have trained to be a monkey in the first place? Degrading if you ask me.'

Spoon, why would you call it degrading ? its what thousands of people have to do every day, I am not too proud to do anything (legal, within reason), its an experience, a change from the day job, experiences are what make you a more interesting and broad minded person. Anyway, I suspect that JJB sports got all the Monkeys based on my last (ever) visit.

I have to say that all the staff I spoke to were extremely loyal, hard working and proffessional, every query from a member of the public was dealt with in a courteous friendly manner. I think they give a lot for the money they get paid unlike a lot of the over paid, self important prima donnas we see on here sometimes.

King RA, where are you based ?
Old 05 June 2006, 07:09 PM
King RA
BANNED

It was Altrincham and its been quite interesting, just there as an observer on the Public bit but mucked in for a bit in the warehouse and putting stuff on shelves (a lot more technical that you might at first suspect).

'Surely you'd have trained to be a monkey in the first place? Degrading if you ask me.'

Spoon, why would you call it degrading ? its what thousands of people have to do every day, I am not too proud to do anything (legal, within reason), its an experience, a change from the day job, experiences are what make you a more interesting and broad minded person. Anyway, I suspect that JJB sports got all the Monkeys based on my last (ever) visit.

I have to say that all the staff I spoke to were extremely loyal, hard working and proffessional, every query from a member of the public was dealt with in a courteous friendly manner. I think they give a lot for the money they get paid unlike a lot of the over paid, self important prima donnas we see on here sometimes.

King RA, where are you based ?
Hayes, used to work in operations so spoke to your lot a fair bit, now do desktop support.
Old 05 June 2006, 07:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Woolies always seem to have quite loyal staff for some reason.
Old 05 June 2006, 08:01 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exactly, thousands of monkeys have to because they can't raise their game. The key point here is if you are happy to do it then fine, there isn't a problem.

I couldn't even work for somebody else, so to be told I had to do what you have to do, after training for a 'higher' position, is equal to having your entire arsé populated with polyps.
Old 05 June 2006, 08:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Spoon, it really isnt a case of being happy to do it, its having to do it, no matter what your situation, all bar a few fortunate persons have to work for a living.

I quite like the cat mentality, turn up whilst you get fed, if its no good anymore move on.
Old 05 June 2006, 08:23 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I quite like the cat mentality, turn up whilst you get fed, if its no good anymore move on.
J4cko, maybe that's it, I don't like cats either.
Old 05 June 2006, 08:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I thought thtat would be exacltly where you are coming from, not really anything to do with liking felines
Old 05 June 2006, 08:32 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

Originally Posted by GaryCat
When my wife joined DHL as a UNIX admin she had to spend a day riding along with a delivery van.

mmm....that old line!
Old 05 June 2006, 08:35 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I thought thtat would be exacltly where you are coming from, not really anything to do with liking felines
The sarcasm was rife.

Let me know how you get on.