Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Could Gordon Brown be UK PM?
Yes. He's a UK MP and is as entitled as any other UK MP to be PM.
14.13%
No. He's a Jock and they have their own Parliament.
85.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Should Gordon Brown be Prime Minister?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2006, 09:20 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Gordon Brown be Prime Minister?

If I can remember how to set up a poll I will do, however the question is -

Tony is looking tired and is presiding over a failing administration. NHS, education, immigration, Iraq, prison system, all in crisis and the Deputy Prime Minister won't fall on his sword. Nobody could blame Tony for thinking "enough is enough" and between his wife's income and what he could make on the international lecture circuit there are easier ways to pay the mortgage.

If he stands down and Gordon Brown takes over, I am interested in how English voters (and particularly English Labour voters - I realise that apart from Pete Lewis, there probably aren't too many of them on Scoobynet ) will view this.

The poll choices will be -

Gordon Brown is a Member of Parliament for a constituency that is represented in the UK Parliament at Westminster therefore has as much right as any other UK MP to be Prime Minister.

Gordon Brown is a Jock. They have their own Parliament therfore he shouldn't be Prime Minister (even though he represents a UK Parliamentary seat).
Old 03 June 2006, 09:21 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

are you on drugs
Old 03 June 2006, 09:22 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

No. Serious question.
Old 03 June 2006, 09:23 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I don't want any labour minister to be Prime Minister. Period.
Old 03 June 2006, 09:26 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Tony Blair is a tosser and so is everyone else in the labour party too, they are either sleeping around on their wives or blind! or letting illegal and criminal refugees into this country to offend again get him off is what i think!!!
Old 03 June 2006, 09:34 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Perhaps I should have included a third option of "He's a devious **** and that's enough to rule him out of contention for eternity".

My real point was that because he represents a Scottish constituency (and because every time you hear a Cabinet spokesman open their mouth they seem to have a Scottish accent) does this count against him assuming that GB is Labour leader at the next General Election?

Trending Topics

Old 03 June 2006, 09:37 PM
SlimJ_2005
Scooby Regular

NO!

I would like to see someone that has setup and run a successful business, someone like Richard Branson. At least this person will hopefully know how to keep the country running and spend our taxes correctly!

Could Blair or Brown actually run there own businesses?
Old 03 June 2006, 10:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are BOTH doing superb jobs in their own right ........ the economy is better than it EVER was under the Tories.

We are all extremely wealthy now so it amazes me why idiots on here want to change a winning formula?

Labour will win again ...... in 4 years time - so, get used to it and stop bloody crying about it all the time!! The majority has spoken and you are in the minority!

Get off your lazy ***** and stop waiting for the Government of the day to spoon feed you - you bloody kiddies!!

Pete
Old 03 June 2006, 10:04 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

who extremly wealthy? im fookin skint. im a single bloke with a mortgage, and struggle to pay the high council tax bill , fuel bils etc.
so where dis you get that **** from?
Old 03 June 2006, 10:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by watto52
who extremly wealthy? im fookin skint. im a single bloke with a mortgage, and struggle to pay the high council tax bill , fuel bils etc.
so where dis you get that **** from?
This is your post on another thread:-

"i put 38k in an halifax account last year with no problems at all.
mind you i spent it within 8 months"

Now, you are either lying on the other thread or you are wealthy ......... either way you come across as a right wally!!

Pete
Old 03 June 2006, 10:15 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
This is your post on another thread:-

"i put 38k in an halifax account last year with no problems at all.
mind you i spent it within 8 months"

Now, you are either lying on the other thread or you are wealthy ......... either way you come across as a right wally!!

Pete
yeah, i went thru a divorce and sold the house for that. its not come from the goverment at all. Yes i was a fool to waste it but now im back to earth, im finding it difficult to get by.
Seems i have to get married to get by and im certainly not doing that.
Old 03 June 2006, 10:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by watto52
yeah, i went thru a divorce and sold the house for that. its not come from the goverment at all. Yes i was a fool to waste it but now im back to earth, im finding it difficult to get by.
Seems i have to get married to get by and im certainly not doing that.
The government created the conditions for you to profit from a house sale, so I think you should be grateful.

They are not responsible for your marraige break-up .... unless you are the husband of Prescotts secretary?

Hope you get settled soon!

Pete
Old 03 June 2006, 10:23 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

The government created the conditions for you to profit from a house sale, so I think you should be grateful.

They are not responsible for your marraige break-up .... unless you are the husband of Prescotts secretary?

Hope you get settled soon!

Pete
cheers pete, i know i did spend it like it grew on trees but its still hard to get by. Mind you, having a ****e job dont help. I work for a bus company owned by a tight fisted scot.
Old 03 June 2006, 10:24 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

They are BOTH doing superb jobs in their own right ........ the economy is better than it EVER was under the Tories.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah
Pete - will you please answer my question. Does Gordon Brown being an MP for a Scottish constituency cause you any problems as Scotland has its own Parliament? Yes or No will suffice.
Old 03 June 2006, 10:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
Pete - will you please answer my question. Does Gordon Brown being an MP for a Scottish constituency cause you any problems as Scotland has its own Parliament? Yes or No will suffice.
DON'T CARE!

Pete
Old 03 June 2006, 10:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Who cares who is in, I hate Labour
Old 03 June 2006, 10:39 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

DON'T CARE!

Pete
it should to pete because scottish mp's vote on things that matter in england and wales.
Old 03 June 2006, 10:53 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Sorry, can't let pissy pants go to bed without commenting on this load of bollocks.

Originally Posted by pissy pants lewis
No, the economy is in a more and more fragile shape everyday, supported by people 'releasing equity' from their overpriced property in an unseasonably long period of low interest rates. Rates are set to rise soon, as inflation is on the up, fueled largely by oil prices. This will hit the high street, and people will reach the limit of being able to serve the enormous level of debt they're taking on. Haven't you seen the graph of bankruptcies recently?

We are all extremely wealthy now so it amazes me why idiots on here want to change a winning formula?
"We" are not. The wealth is an illusion of smoke and mirrors. Property prices on the whole make people 'feel' richer, despite the fact that money doesn't exist unless they sell their house and downsize, or go and live in a carboard box.

Labour will win again ...... in 4 years time - so, get used to it and stop bloody crying about it all the time!!
Don't bet on it. Seen any opinion polls recently? Labour are trailling actually and if you want to put your money where your mouth is I'd quite like to wager that the electorate will be kicking the incumbant out in 4 years time.

The majority has spoken and you are in the minority!
Which majority is that then. In the last election in England more people voted Tory than Labour. It's just due to the boundary shifts many years ago that Tony and his cronies undertook that gave an advantage to their consituencies, meaning that despite gaining less votes, they had more seats. And I'd barely count 25% of the electorate the 'majority' in any sense of the word.

Get off your lazy ***** and stop waiting for the Government of the day to spoon feed you - you bloody kiddies!!
Most of us here do. In the last 10 years since college I've been out of work for just 1 day, despite going through redundancy etc.

Pete
Old 03 June 2006, 10:59 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

The Scottish Parliament has no power over the most important aspects of government in Scotland.
Scottish soldiers are sent by the British Government to fight in Iraq etc, Taxes are decided by the British Government etc etc etc.
So until each Parliament totally controls its own country the the status quo will continue and Scottish MP's will continue to vote on matters concerning Britain(not England)
Oh and I would'nt let Gordon Brown run a raffle
Old 03 June 2006, 11:06 PM
chunky_lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
As a "Jock" I can sympathise with your viewpoint. Problem is, as usual, Labour do a half assed job with devolved powers. MSPs can vote on certain issues that affect Scotland but not others, it's a parliament with one hand tied behind it's back - Scottish MPs therefore have to have a voice in Westminster on certain issues. Devolution is a bone thrown to the nationalists but it's a failure. Do the thing 100% or not at all.

As for whether Gordon Brown is Scottish or not shouldn't matter - would it make a difference to you if he was MP for an English or Welsh seat? Makes no difference to me if an MSP is English / Welsh / Irish or whatever.
Old 04 June 2006, 12:51 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

FPMSL!

This is the first poll I have seen which has had 100% for one option! Or it did at the point of posting this.

Just a side note, as much as I hate the Conservatives, Labour came to power when the economy turned and have rode a growing economy which has lasted by house owners further borrowing on their house equity and thus sustaining an otherwise dwindling economy. Now that fuel prices, Gas etc have rockeketed let's see how well they will do now. The unit I work for now (part of a large public quoted co.) has managed to push through 60%+ price increases without challenge from customers as they can no longer hold off transport, utilities and general global usage increases pushing up prices.
Old 04 June 2006, 02:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I would not want Gordon Brown to be Prime Minister. But not for his nationality, but because his ability in the position he has held so far, has been nothing more than fueling the degredation of the UK economy. Yet he ignores it and massages figures, pretending everything is ok. For want of a better word, he's just plainly incompetent.

As for his nationality. Well, it would be nice if the government's focus was decentralised and taken away from the confines of the M25
Old 04 June 2006, 02:15 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

No.

Other reasons are stated above but to add to that,he looks shifty and will prove shifty.

HTH

Old 04 June 2006, 07:19 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SD

Which majority is that then. In the last election in England more people voted Tory than Labour. It's just due to the boundary shifts many years ago that Tony and his cronies undertook that gave an advantage to their consituencies, meaning that despite gaining less votes, they had more seats.
The average IQ in the UK is 100. My guess the average SN IQ comes it quite a bit lower than that , judging by the standard of posts on this thread.

An article about Tory gains from boundary changes

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...7/ai_n14631082
Old 04 June 2006, 07:45 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

He shouldn't become PM, but not because he's Scottish. He's a dour, miserable non-personality. I don't want that kind of person representing me on the world stage.
Old 04 June 2006, 07:57 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

When i think about Flash Gordon i see him as a git, not a Scottish git but a git.

Not really thought too much about his heritage as i do not find it an issue.

He is still a git though and in some ways i want him to be prime minister so he can reap what he has sown but really i do not think he deserves the job.
Old 04 June 2006, 07:59 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
The average IQ in the UK is 100. My guess the average SN IQ comes it quite a bit lower than that , judging by the standard of posts on this thread.

An article about Tory gains from boundary changes

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...7/ai_n14631082

Yet still you keep coming back - nice to see someone prepared to help the hard of thinking/'special needs' SN'ers
Old 04 June 2006, 09:10 AM
Bram
Scooby Regular

I leave one thought for the electors on SN and I Quote: "Society has always seemed to demand a little more from human beings than it will get in practice" George Orwell
Old 04 June 2006, 09:44 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

The majority has spoken and you are in the minority!

Pete
Since when did 1 in 4 equate to a majority.

Fact of the matter is that more ppl in England voted for Conservative than Labour in the last election.

Chip

Quick Reply: Should Gordon Brown be Prime Minister?