Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New ebay scam

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2006, 12:08 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ebay scam

New to me anyway.

Got an authentic looking ebay mail from some guy saying:

"Hi, the payment was transfered 2 weeks ago to your account...and I did't receive any answer from you...??? The item is on the way? Please respond me asap. I will report you to eBay..."

the item had been deleted when I searched for it, and the user name was invalid, and the message although looking authentic came from ebay@message.com

www.message.com

I wonder exactly what they expect to achieve? What's their leverage?

Ed
Old 31 May 2006, 08:28 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

One that seems to be catching a lot of people out nowadays are the fake "Second chance offer" emails. Basically, a scammer watches a high-priced item being bid on (laptop etc) and waits until the auction has ended. They then send a real-looking second-chance-offer email (often through ebay so it comes from ebayseller@ebay.com or something similar), offering you a second chance to buy the item. You'll notice one key difference though - it doesn't appear in "my eBay" and there is no option to click "buy it now" in the email which all second chance offers have. Apart from those differences, the email is constructed, branded and identical in appearance to genuine emails from ebay.

Instead they ask for the usual, cash, Western Union, PayPal payment. This is because the original winner has actually won the auction, paid and usually received the item. The scammers simply hang off the back of genuine auctions to stitch people up. Kind of like someone selling fake Rolexes in a Rolex shop when the shop workers aren't looking!

I was first offered one of these second chance offers around 3 months ago now so I'm sure most people are well aware of them by now, but it doesn't hurt to remind folks.
Old 31 May 2006, 08:30 AM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

I had strange one the other day, I was outbid and was the 2nd highest bidder, when the auction ended i got a e-mail from a different user offering me the same item at my last price all i had to do was pay-pal the money ASAP !!!! "DELETE"
Old 31 May 2006, 08:31 AM
penfold118
Scooby Regular

Smile Beat me to it

Originally Posted by mad_dr
One that seems to be catching a lot of people out nowadays are the fake "Second chance offer" emails. Basically, a scammer watches a high-priced item being bid on (laptop etc) and waits until the auction has ended. They then send a real-looking second-chance-offer email (often through ebay so it comes from ebayseller@ebay.com or something similar), offering you a second chance to buy the item. You'll notice one key difference though - it doesn't appear in "my eBay" and there is no option to click "buy it now" in the email which all second chance offers have. Apart from those differences, the email is constructed, branded and identical in appearance to genuine emails from ebay.

Instead they ask for the usual, cash, Western Union, PayPal payment. This is because the original winner has actually won the auction, paid and usually received the item. The scammers simply hang off the back of genuine auctions to stitch people up. Kind of like someone selling fake Rolexes in a Rolex shop when the shop workers aren't looking!

I was first offered one of these second chance offers around 3 months ago now so I'm sure most people are well aware of them by now, but it doesn't hurt to remind folks.

So thats what happend to me !!!
Old 31 May 2006, 03:40 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by penfold118
So thats what happend to me !!!
And me.Very convincing it was too.The only thing was the user id was different but he said he was doing it for his girlfreind.
Scoobynet put me right.