Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pioneer plasma TV's?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2006, 11:39 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer plasma TV's?

I know there is lots of threads on picking a TV but want to ask some direct questions to people that have experience of the pioneer plasmas or who are in the business

Im looking at New TV’s, 43” is about perfect for the room. I have been advised that for that size I would be a lot better off with a quality plasma rather than an LCD and the Pioneers seem to get top ratings in all the mags. Luckily I have a mate that works for them so can get a discount so I would be silly to go for anything else.

Which one though? All are within my budget

PDP 436SXE
PDP 436RXE
PDP 436XDE
PDP 436FDE

My main requirements are for the best quality pictures and colours I can get. The latter 2 are ‘pure vision’ (whatever that is) and they also come with a media receiver. The SXE and RXE are quoted as ‘all in’, so I presume all the functions you get on the media receiver for the other 2 are in built?

The XDE seems the highest speced’, but the SXE and RXE are new TV’s this year. But TBH when I read the specs its all gobbledygook

Im not overly fussed about having the best sound (Pioneers are not noted for this anyway I believe?) and a massive home entertainment system with all the associated wires and speakers as I want the room to remain sparse.

Pros and cons of the different models anyone?
Old 24 May 2006, 02:29 PM
Scooby Regular

[quote=p1mark]
Which one though? All are within my budget

PDP 436SXE
PDP 436RXE
PDP 436XDE
PDP 436FDE
/quote]

Hi there

I have one and I must say the Pioneer picture is stunning, as is the look of the plasma screen itself (it doesn't look like a computer monitor).

Anyway, there are subtle but important differences.

The XDE and FDE are the original ones - neither includes speakers as standard, although it's a simple and neat option to add. I did, and they sound and look superb. They both have a media box (see below). The main difference is that that the FDE has fewer connections (could be a pain if you need multiple HDMI connections) and NO freeview.

The newer ones - the SXE and RXE are more "integrated" - in that they have in built speakers. The difference is freeview - the SXE has integrated freeview, the RXE does not. Neither has a media box, so connections are more limited.

Now then, the "media" box. This is great, as you can plug everything into the box, with only a couple of leads going to the screen (plus power), which you can chase into the wall if you mount it. If you didn't have a media box, you'd have to faf about behind the screen itself everytime you got some new equipment or lead. In addition, you also get a "home gallery" feature - you can plug in your card from you digital camera and it displays them in a galary for you, zoomable, etc, etc. I use it all the time to show friends and family my pics - really cool

So for me, it would be an easy choice - get the XDE with the bolt on speakers (which can go on the side of the screen, or underneath, as per the pics on the pioneer website HERE) You can hide the media box in a cupboard, as it's controlled from the infrared receiver on the screen itself - lovely.

Good luck!
Old 24 May 2006, 03:30 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Great info there mate

I have seen the pioneer site, whats the diference in pic quality between the newer and older sets, as the older ones are 'pure vision' - or is this just marketing speak?

Whatever i get will be wall mounted, but the room its in is not even built yet, so i have an oppurtunity to put whatever i require hidden, chased and plastered in the wall.

Whichever i go for, it will be a pre-requisite (from the mrs ) that no cables or anything can be seen anywhere.

Sounds as though the new ones may be a ball ache connecting video cameras etc in.

The cables from the media box to the TV, do they have scart type ends or smaller bullet type? I was thinking of actually putting a 3" diameter tube in the wall so that services can still be removed easily, but scart cables i thinkwill just have to be plastered over direct?
Old 24 May 2006, 03:33 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

If i go this route, i will require one 240V socket at TV height for the screen, and a multiple one at skirting board height for media reciever / DVD / sky etc?

Kust trying to plan the room the neatest way i can.
Old 24 May 2006, 06:44 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
If i go this route, i will require one 240V socket at TV height for the screen, and a multiple one at skirting board height for media reciever / DVD / sky etc?

Kust trying to plan the room the neatest way i can.
Don't worry! The power lead from the TV is a good couple of metres long - all my stuff - DVD, Recorder, Plasma, etc, etc. is plugged into the same area. I have the plasma power cable and the "control" cables (two cables which send video/sound to the plasma from the media box) all chased into the wall, so it looks like the screen is "floating" on the wall - very neat. I'd still have the media box even if I was having the plasma on the supplied stand, as it has more connectivity and the slot for media cards.
Old 24 May 2006, 09:22 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

I'm at this point as well because my Panasonic Plasma is going back to John lewis on Friday for a refund because of the crap picture.
Been to the local Audio shop and seen the Pioneer screens with which I'm very impressed, the XDE is the top of the range with a digital multimedia box, the FDE has a separate box but not digital, the SXE and RXE have inbuilt tuners and speakers and are known to have a slightly inferior picture because of this.
I have decided to go for the PDP-506 XDE because of the digi multimedia box and better picture, also I dont need the add on speakers because I use the surround sound speaker system.
It is being installed on Saturday along with the certified calibration Disc setup which takes 2-3 hours tailored to the room with day and night switching.

Mog
Old 24 May 2006, 11:48 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Got the previous model 505XDE. Excelent picture quality

Love the fact that all the connections go into the media box with only two leads going to the screen. The only difference between the 505 and the newer 506 was the addition of an extra HDMI connector. Mine only has one.

The XDE model also has the freeview tuner built in. Didn't want the integrated speakers, used my original BOSE ones through the Pioneer
AX5AVI amp

Still have the original speakers which mount to any of Pioneers 50" screens unopened in the box if anyone is interested.

Mounted ours on the wall and sprayed a piece of pipe cover gloss balck to match the screen. Hey presto it appears to be mounted on a single stand and the cables are run inside

RobP

Last edited by RobP; 24 May 2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 25 May 2006, 07:06 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Have a 37" Panasonic Plasma and its great, no problems and the picture quality is excellent. At 37" its not too big either.
Old 25 May 2006, 07:49 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys. much appreciated.

I have pretty much decided i will go for an XDE, and will go and check out a demo this weekend.

Was speaking to the builders last night (room its in is in an extension they are doing at the mo) and they said no probs - in fact they have done it before - in chasing a 3" pipe with 90 deg ends into the wall before plastering, that i can feed the wiring down.

That way its easy for me to change if i want to as opposed to having to replaster or add anything.

One more question, the optional speakers - do they have to bolt on or can they be used remotely?

Waiting for a price back from my mate, but the best internet prices i have found are £1859 for TV (miles cheaper than any where else ) £150 for the wall mounting bracket and £180 for the speakers.

Most places seem to be selling the TV alone for about £2300
Old 25 May 2006, 08:42 AM
Scooby Regular

On the speakers - they are supplied with a relatively short speaker cable - the cable connects into the back of the TV, not the media box. You could extend it quite easily mind you if you wanted to place them well away from the TV. However, it would sound odd - best to have left and right front speakers near to the TV.

The speakers themselves are supplied with brackets, which can be used in two positions - they can clamp the speakers right next to the TV, for a flush/integrated look, or hold them about a cm away, for a "floating" look. Either way, I'd suggest getting them.

I also have a HI-FI surround sound setup which is stunning for movies, but a faf when all you want to do is listen to the news!!! For day to day watching, speakers built into the TV are much easier (esp. if you have kids - I don't want my kids touching my amp!) .... but having both options is the best of course, as movies with surround sound and a big tv is just the best!!!
Old 25 May 2006, 09:45 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Top stuff again 645 - i always planned to have whatever i choose connected to my Amp anyway for use with movies etc, but agree with you on the messing around just normal day to day viewing.

Wherabouts in the country are you mate? if possible i would be interested in listening and looking at one in a home as oppossed to a showroom.
Old 25 May 2006, 10:17 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

p1mark, have a look at the Pioneer PDP buying info in HERE including the advice about buying from John Lewis. JL will price-match any proper store (not just net based) who has the same set in stock and within a certain distance of one of their stores and throw in a free 5 year guarantee. Just click on the contact details of your cheapest net supplier to find their address and use their postcode in JL store locator to see how close they are. If they fit the criteria and have the set in stock place an order at the relevent JL store with the agreed price-match and then a few days later ring and ask to collect it at your local JL.
Old 25 May 2006, 11:57 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

P1mark

If you end up going for the TV and want the speakers to match it let me know.

Still have them brand new in the box. never even opened them.

Would let them go for £100 versus the £180 you have been quoted.

RobP
Old 26 May 2006, 07:13 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Thats a great offer Rob, and i will almost certainly take you up on the offer. Bear with me for a week or so
Old 26 May 2006, 12:18 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Just re read the thread and realised that you were looking for a 43" screen. The speakers I have were for my 50" screen so unless you change your mind on the size they will be too big

RobP
Old 26 May 2006, 06:40 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Where have you seen the XDE for £1850?!

Costco sell this model for "450, with side speakers and pedestal stand, also 3 year warranty.
Old 26 May 2006, 09:26 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

XDE

I've got a 506 and a 436 and they're both awesome. Ive got mine set into the wall, or rather I studded the wall out to be flush with the front of the screen. Not a cable in sight.

If you're doing that sort of install then the XDE (or FDE) is the way to go as there is a pair of dedicated cables to the media box, then everything else plugs into that - much neater

I run mine with seperate amps & surround speakers, so I actually wanted just the panels.

I'm in Peterborough if you want to take a look.

Al
Old 27 May 2006, 12:52 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Rob P - Im gutted - 50" will be to big for me though.

Alistair, that is a kind offer and i am only just dow the A47 in Leicester. YHPM!

DJ140 - ignore me im a prat. i did think it was a lot cheaper myself then just went to get the link for you and its one of the lesser specced models, the RXE.

http://www.digisaurus.co.uk/site/pro...od=368#Details

cheapest XDE i have found is £2190, without speakers. just waiting for a price from my mate who works at pioneer.
Old 28 May 2006, 08:57 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Mark - YHM

......and 50" isn't that big as you'll see
Old 28 May 2006, 09:28 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

P1mark

50" you know it makes sense

You could always explain the reason for the 50" was to get the speakers cheap

RobP
Old 28 May 2006, 09:39 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

The viewing distance will be in the 13 to 14 ft range so i think a 50" will be a bit big.

Going to look at Alistairs tommorow, and it would be rude not to have a look at his big one (!!!!!!!) as well so you never know
Old 28 May 2006, 09:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mog
I'm at this point as well because my Panasonic Plasma is going back to John lewis on Friday for a refund because of the crap picture.
Been to the local Audio shop and seen the Pioneer screens with which I'm very impressed, the XDE is the top of the range with a digital multimedia box, the FDE has a separate box but not digital, the SXE and RXE have inbuilt tuners and speakers and are known to have a slightly inferior picture because of this.
I have decided to go for the PDP-506 XDE because of the digi multimedia box and better picture, also I dont need the add on speakers because I use the surround sound speaker system.
It is being installed on Saturday along with the certified calibration Disc setup which takes 2-3 hours tailored to the room with day and night switching.

Mog
who does the setting up?? and how do they know what the night setting for your room would be??? do you get to keep the disc as well, and most important, how much does it cost?

Mart
Old 29 May 2006, 12:09 AM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
who does the setting up?? and how do they know what the night setting for your room would be??? do you get to keep the disc as well, and most important, how much does it cost?

Mart
Got the Pioneer 50" XDE yesterday and OMG what a differance to the Panasonic, thankyou for John Lewis in being reasonable about refunding my money from the Panasonic and a even bigger thankyou to Audio T for sorting and setting up the Pioneer.

Mart

Audio T set the Tv up as they have a trained engineer and he spent nearly all day with me and did the night settings in a darkened room, the disc is there's and they did this free of charge as they supplied the TV and a Denon 3920 DVD Player, they normally charge £200-300 for this service.

ISF Calibration

The ISF C3 (Custom Calibration Configuration) feature allows your plasma panel to be optimised for your viewing environment. Via optional service, a trained professional can precisely calibrate your plasma panel with customised levels of contrast, tint, colour level and other parameters.

Once calibration is completed, the ISF display modes are enabled and the settings are locked to eliminate any accidental changes.

Two settings are available to match your actual viewing conditions: one for bright daytime light conditions and one for evening situations when artificial lights are dimmed. All of the original display modes are still selectable and user adjustable with no effect on the ISF calibrated settings. ISF C3 is designed for professional picture perfect calibration.

Mog
Old 29 May 2006, 10:20 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Just found this excellent thread on AV forums which seems to give everything you could possible want to know about Pioneer plasmas and setting them up etc

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323983

Only read the first page and it goes on for 11 pages

RobP
Old 30 May 2006, 06:51 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Yeah i have ben looking at that thread Rob. some great info, some of which worried me a tad TBH (moans about the quality of the pic on sky and a slight hesitation on live sports and fast moving action etc).

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so i took up Alistairs invite of a lookee see at his set up last night.

Such is Alistairs and his lovely wife Julie's hospitatility that my wife and i arrived there at 7pm and did not get back till 1am this morning (Mrs pi$$ed ). top fella and once again thanks .

Anyway, His set up has to be seen to believed, . I will let him explain if he so wishes but basically he has a 43" and a 50" XDE, not to mention a projector screen and all sorts of other electrical shenanigans.

The TV's themselves - Alistair's was just running off a normal sky+ feed and the piture quality was far in excess of any other plasmas manufacturers i have seen in a showroom, great looking free standing on the wall as well. Alistairs 50" was set up in a room no bigger than the room i intend to put mine in (maybe 13' foot viewing distance) and i agree with him that this is plenty far enough away.

TBH the picture was still superb at even 1/2 that distance!

The TV's are that superb looking with just the thin black surround (Ali was runing surround sound through an amp not using the add on speakers), That it did not dominate the room at all.

The Mrs who was distinctly frosty to anything big, or seperate speakers, was just so blown away by the full set up that she has pretty much given me free reign to do as i please, so it looks like i will shortly be spunking 3.5K on a 50" XDE and a few other sound related goodies.

As Alistair says, im in a position (with the building going on) to easily put cables into the wall or behind studding easily and cheaply, so i may as well put some stuff in ready for a projector in the future as well. His big screen and the sound on a DVD was simply jaw dropping.

Dont think i will quite need the 140 cables running through the wall that he has for all his other toys though! .

Once again Ali, thank you very much
Old 30 May 2006, 06:53 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

He may be a bit too modest and self effacing, but im hoping Alistair will put some pics up of his TV,projector,lighting set up with an explanation!

Last edited by p1mark; 30 May 2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 30 May 2006, 07:37 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Aargh all this talk of new TV's is dangerous. I told myself I would wait until my old CRT packs in as nothing wrong with it but this thread is not helping

Simon.

Last edited by P1Fanatic; 30 May 2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 30 May 2006, 07:45 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

My advice to you Simon would be dont ask questions on the internet and take up kind invitations to visit strangers and look at their own set up.

Definetly avoid taking your lady, who will inevitably look around the rest of the house and hold you to ransom i.e "you can have the TV you want but i would like something like that..........thats great, can we?..........That should not be to expensive darling.......you are not getting any unless.......etc etc....."
Old 30 May 2006, 08:18 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Glad you liked it Mark.

Here's some photo's for anyone else that's interested.

43" for the kitchen, wouldn't want to get carried away

50" for the lounge and an 8 foot projector screen....

Projector & rear speakers

and the kit cupboard that powers it all -

Al
Old 17 October 2006, 07:46 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Thought i would bring this back from the grave now its nearly complete.

Ended up with a pioneer 50" XDE plasma. wall mounted it and then built a stud to come flush with the screen and leave a small gap around the outside for ventilation and removal. Seeing Alistairs set up in the flesh made me want to do this. Bit of work involved but it looks part of the room even for such a big TV

All the cables to everything are either in the stud or behind plasterboard in the case of the rear speakers.

Applogies for the poor pictures.

This is the one with the separate media box, so anythhing i add on in the future, or all ancilliaries (digi camera/video, PC, PS2, Karaoke) etc. just plugs straight into it so no more ripping walls to bits. Sky and PS2 are on top.

Gone for a full 5.1 system, with a Denon 1920 upscaling DVD/CD player, a Denon 1906 Reciever, Wharfedale fronts, Mission centre and rears, and a paradigm sub. Before anyone says it, its not a carpet, but old curtains taped onto the floor while i am still making a mess in some of the other rooms

The TV has the optional side speakers so i dont have the messing around with the amp to watch normal TV.

It comes to a few quid, but the listening and watching experience is 100 times that of a normal TV. It really does make the hairs on the back of your neck stick up if you are watching a film with great sound, or a footy match etc....

While i was on with this, a gut from another car forum PM'd me asking if i wanted a new Sony Bravia LCD at a frankly silly price. Could not resist, and thats now in the bedroom. Again, i have hidden all the cables. this is a 32"

Quick Reply: Pioneer plasma TV's?