washing machine help:(

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2006, 01:32 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing machine help:(

OK sorry in advance for the potential sillyness,

But i am currently moving out with my girlfriend into a rented flat and it has come the time to buy a washing machine...

I have not a bad budget for this looking at about £300 for a new washer/dryer
I need a washer dryer due to the fact that the kitchen is simply not big enough for separates...

anyway my query is that i have been told that washer/dryers do vairey with regards to the way it gets rid of the air? (again apologies for the dumbness)
we will need to get one which 'vents' back into the machine itself?
i have been sort of been told this but does anyone know any more about these things maybe just the name of a feature to look for???....

thanks for your help

Last edited by petey; 17 May 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 17 May 2006, 01:33 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

ask your GF she will know, they learn this stuff at an early age
Old 17 May 2006, 01:37 PM
petey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lpski1
ask your GF she will know, they learn this stuff at an early age
lol i wish she did mate, but i seem to be having to educate myself about these things (not the most riviting subject!)
Old 17 May 2006, 01:47 PM
watto52
Scooby Regular

you not thaught about asking someone who sells them?
currys comet or even a local electrical center. I always find if i ask at a shop when looking, i get a decent result.
Old 17 May 2006, 01:50 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Gridlock Monkey sells these, he's your man
Old 17 May 2006, 02:32 PM
Karl 227
BANNED

You should be looking for a twin tub, dual cycle, vortex systematic, top loading, nylon bearing hub motion machine, the best ones are made by Miele and are all side loading with copper bushes and single tub
Old 17 May 2006, 03:11 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

washer dryer.... you want one that condences (sp) the hot air and turns it into cold water that drains through the waste pipe. think most have this now. other option is a hot air pipe that you have to trail to either a vent or hang out the window (classy)

ammount of fecking washing my missus seems to go through i am thinking of putting a meter on there and charging thames water for my contribution to their resevouir.

Trending Topics

Old 17 May 2006, 03:17 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petey
anyway my query is that i have been told that washer/dryers do vairey with regards to the way it gets rid of the air?
My missus tells me that there are condensor and vent-to-atmosphere types. If you don't have or plan to make a hole in the wall for the exhaust, you'll need the condensor model which means you have to empty the water collection tray after each cycle.

I am told the VTA type lets out a hissing "pppsssct" sound at each stage of the cycle which you'll tire of within a couple of weeks.

Suresh
Old 17 May 2006, 03:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What he says. One needs an external pipe for the vent, the other (condenser) doesn't.

But NOTE; the condensing ones use a lot of extra (metered!) water as they dribble water across the condenser to keep it cool. That's what I was told when I looked 6 yrs ago, anyway. Just to warn you.
Old 17 May 2006, 03:26 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a washer/dryer, a Hotpoint WD420. I chose this as it was cheapish, and more importantly will wash and dry the same sized load - 5kgs. Most will only dry half the maximum wash load, but this will wash 5kgs and dry 5kgs.

I bought mine from Curry's online for £313. There are other places that are cheaper I'm sure, but I got a 5% discount on top of that through my CC.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:10 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No.1: for Gods sake don't buy a Hotpoint - they are truly awful. We've just bought a Miele Washer and a Siemans Tumble Dryer - between them they cost over £1000, but come with a 10 year & 5 year (respectively) manufacturer parts and labour warranty. If you buy something at this price the assistants tend to get more 'honest' and boy do they slag off Hotpoint! One guy actually said he was embarrassed to sell them.

No.2: Washer tumble dryers don't usually condense or vent to air, they tend to pump out down the waste water pipe.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Had a cheap and cheerful condensing washer dryer that worked reasonably well. Now have a Bosch one that is awful (for drying). We'll be getting a dedicated tumble dryer out in the out house in due course, they seem to be faster and more effective. It's all very well going with the A energy efficiency rating, but when it takes hours to dry a couple of towels you do start to ask if it's worth it.
Old 17 May 2006, 04:21 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by OllyK
Had a cheap and cheerful condensing washer dryer that worked reasonably well. Now have a Bosch one that is awful (for drying). We'll be getting a dedicated tumble dryer out in the out house in due course, they seem to be faster and more effective. It's all very well going with the A energy efficiency rating, but when it takes hours to dry a couple of towels you do start to ask if it's worth it.
plus all your clothes are creased to buggery and take hours to iron!
Old 17 May 2006, 05:22 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Just pop down to the stream with a washboard and hang them on the trees
Old 17 May 2006, 06:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What's a washing machine ?????????????????

Just do what I do. Pay someone else to do it for you. Clothes all washed, dried, and ironed, and you won't have to come home on a night and start doing woman's work !!!! Leaving you plenty of time to do anything better than washing clothes.
Old 17 May 2006, 07:36 PM
computerangel
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Sorry.

All Washer Dryers are condensing, they utilise the waste pipe to get rid of the all the water. I'll be honest you will br very hard pushed to get a reasonable W/d for £300. Don't forget that there are 2 machines in one box, one motor one set of bearings. You have to take out half the load to dry properly, That is why it takes nearly six hours to wash & dry a full load.
And the old saying that "You only get what you pay for". However, the better brands, e.g Bosch, Siemens, Miele, still won't last that same as dedicated Washer & Dryer, but if space is a problem then, you have no choice but to purchase a W/D.

Good Luck, any queries e-mail me.
Old 17 May 2006, 07:57 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

10: Buy the cheapest washer in the shop, and the cheapest drier, chuck the drier in the shed or something.

20: when they break after 4 ?? years, GOTO line 10.

Old 17 May 2006, 09:15 PM
Wonder Wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by petey
OK sorry in advance for the potential sillyness,

But i am currently moving out with my girlfriend into a rented flat and it has come the time to buy a washing machine...

I have not a bad budget for this looking at about £300 for a new washer/dryer
I need a washer dryer due to the fact that the kitchen is simply not big enough for separates...

anyway my query is that i have been told that washer/dryers do vairey with regards to the way it gets rid of the air? (again apologies for the dumbness)
we will need to get one which 'vents' back into the machine itself?
i have been sort of been told this but does anyone know any more about these things maybe just the name of a feature to look for???....

thanks for your help
Ask your Mum

HTH's
Old 17 May 2006, 09:32 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

My Indesit w/d seems ok and was under £300 just under 3 years ago. Not as good as my mum's 10 year old AEG seperate washer and dryer though, but is quicker and uses less energy. I live in a flat and barely use the dryer, if I had a garden I wouldn't need it at all.
Old 18 May 2006, 08:28 AM
petey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for the response guys.

I think this gives me a better idea of what to look for
unfortunatly i am very limited for space i have no garden or shed we might be able to put a small line up but the missus will probably want that for her 'hard to dry stuff'! think we will just have to chance a £300 w/d maybe an indesit...