Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Animal Activists at it again *sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2006, 04:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Animal Activists at it again *sigh*

Oh look the animal terrorists, sorry, activists are at it again.

Seems they are issuing threats where personal details will be posted on the internet unless investors sell their shares.

I do wonder if these people would actually submit themselves as test subjects to save the lives of the furry creatures they seem to care so much about?

This whole animal testing thing has been covered before, but it did make me wonder if the drugs I use were tested on animals and I'm trying to find that out. Part of the reason is that if they were then it could mean that withouth the drugs I would be less healthy than I am now, or possibly not even living. I wonder if any of the terrorists take drugs that were tested on animals, would that not be just a tad ironic if they did.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:07 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

From what I can gather, reading science journals such as Nature, even if the specific drugs you, or I, take weren't tested on animals it is likely that the knowledge of the mechanism of their operation was gained through animal testing. So I would guess it would be hard to find a drug that didn't see animal testing feature somewhere in its development.

The fact is that there are always people who can't see the benefits of the modern world and who want to force us to live in the stone age. If it isn't modern drugs they object to it will be something else.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

From what they said on the news this morning, they're targeting OAP's.

Really hard that is !!!!!!

I work for a Construction company, and we stay well clear of anything to do with animals/testing etc. We're not having some **** pour paint over my cars, just cos we stick a roof on a building. ******* W@nkers.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
The fact is that there are always people who can't see the benefits of the modern world and who want to force us to live in the stone age. If it isn't modern drugs they object to it will be something else.
What the government should do, is find out who they are, and if they fall ill, get involved in a road crash, heart attack, cancer etc, deny them any drugs, as they have been tested on animals.

Watch the ******* change their minds then !!
Old 09 May 2006, 06:00 PM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

Remember the guinea pig farm in the midlands whose aunt's remains were stolen from the graveyard?

Well that guy used to own a farm for chickens, til his son died of cancer.
So he converted the battery pens into pens for guinea pigs.
My mum's partner's Mum lives next door to the son of the farm in a village in the midlands, and he asked for police protection. So they put him some shutters up.
Yet they gave that Abu Hamza round the clock protection from snipers etc.
This country sometimes makes me so sick I could vomit on the flag! And I'm a soldier! The farm is being shut down now, but you used to be able to go along the A515 between Draycott and Lichfield and they had blocked the road. Protesting. Many times they had to get the **** out of my way coz they knew I wouldn't stop for em! Ba$tards the lot of em! And the coppers never helped either.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:14 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

You know, I thought all these new anti terrorism laws we have these days were supposed to stop this crap. I thought we could just bung them in jail for a month.

(not supporting the new laws, but will be nice to see if it really is anti terrorism and not just anti muslim)
Old 09 May 2006, 08:46 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

A dentist I used to know told me of a patient who came in for a filling. Her jacket was plastered with animal rights badges so he just got the drill out and went to start on her teeth.

"Don't I get an anaesthetic", asked the crusty.
"It's been tested on animals, so I didn't think you'd want it.", said the dentist.

She took the anaesthetic.

Principled? My ****!

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2006, 08:51 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

It is certainly interesting that when one old bloke speaks out against the party at the party conference then the anti-terrorism laws swing into action. It is also interesting that the same laws were used as an excuse to stop, question and search nearly 5,000 motorists in a 3 month period in Hampshire despite there being no arrests for any terrorist related offence in the county in that time.

However, when a group of people wage a war of terror upon those involved in improving the lot of the "man in the street" there seems to be nothing the authorities are able to do about it.

I would have thought that the vast majority of the electorate, to whom the Government should answer, would view the first two examples as a bad use of anti-terrorist law and the latter example as a good potential use for the anti-terrorist law.
Old 10 May 2006, 12:33 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Used to sympathise with these ******* when I was a teen but now I'd cave their heads in with a coal shovel.

Got an inside knowledge of the pharma industry and also now my life depends on a drug that probably stems from animal testing.

Anyway, the law of the land demands animal testiing before drugs go into people so go and fecking winge at Blair if you want someone to lash out t
Old 10 May 2006, 01:19 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

I dont support the extremists and most of their actions but actually some of their arguments are valid.

CRUELTY
Ive been inside HLS (one of the largest testing centres in the UK) and there is NO quality of life for these animals. NO daylight NO fresh air NO affection NO attention NO exercise...

Legislation is supposed to be there to protect anaimal welfare but it doesnt. HLS has been fined £hundreds of thousands over the years for exactly this.

QUANTITY
We do not need the volume of animal testing that goes on in this country and the rest of the world. If the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury and Coop can source beauty, health and cleaning products with NO animal testing on the product or the ingredients so can GlaxoSmithkline.

RELIABILITY
It is well documented that animal testing can be misleading. An animal's response to a drug can be very different to a human's.

Successful alternatives include test tube studies on human tissue cultures, statistics and computer models.

The stress that animals endure in labs can affect experiments, making the results meaningless.

The recent cases of the students who were hospitalised were extreme but not uncommon.

BOTTOM LINE
It comes down to money. The industry accepts that animal testing is not necessary on a medical basis but they argue is necessary on a financial basis. Computer models are argued to be more reliable than animal testing but apparently cost more and dont keep people in jobs.

You dont have to be an extremist to be opposed to animal testing and yes, where there is currently no alternative, I will use drugs that are tested on animals; not as a hypercrite but on the same principle that I pay tax - I have no choice.

--- edited to remove two million or so typos... still some left? thought so

Last edited by brumdaisy; 10 May 2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10 May 2006, 01:35 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Do they still have the LD50 test.

This used to be a requirement and it was as described. What was the Lethal Dose to kill 50% of the sample group of rabbits/mice/rats.

This was done for all sorts of products - not just pharma!