Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fifth Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2006, 11:02 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifth Gear

Was tonights episode a repeat - it seemed very dated. Bad news to be on just after the repeat of Top Gear.

It was so DULL - Britain's best small car - great!

Anyway a couple of interesting moments. Main one was a Mr Dull with a garage to only dream of.

TWO(!) Koeniggseggggiesingsssgggggggss
A Carrera GT he had not even driven
Zonda F
F40
Bentleys
Rollers

He supplied spare parts to planes - what like bales of coke?!

Also a preview of next week - Reasonable stars in Expensively Priced Cars (wonder where that name came from).

Plato gets to play with Girls Aloud and one of them seems to crash a Ferrari into the back of a 911 in the pit area

This post was far more exciting than the programme itself - and this post has now got so dull I have fallen asleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppp............ ..............................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzz
Old 08 May 2006, 11:22 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Mr Dull.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:22 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Amazing that a man with such a personality can be so successful.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:26 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

to be honest I like both top gear and 5th gear and at the moment I think they contrast well against each other.

being a petrolhead I like all things car related.......except that vroom **** on sky 1
Old 08 May 2006, 11:34 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
to be honest I like both top gear and 5th gear and at the moment I think they contrast well against each other.

being a petrolhead I like all things car related.......except that vroom **** on sky 1
I disagree. I'm a petrol head and like all things car related including Top Gear and that Vroom **** on Sky 1 but I can't watch 5th Gear, it sends me to sleep.
Old 09 May 2006, 12:11 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scarey
top gear and 5th gear and at the moment I think they contrast well against each other
...I agree.

One is a well crafted example of deconstructing the medium and so making it better.

One is a shameless copy and an extremely poor one that does not understand the importance of dialogue, interplay and most of all it's audience.

And no matter how shapely Vicky's ankles are - and they are shapely - it does not a one hour programme make. It is like that awful Irish car review programme they have on Discovery when there is nothing else left in the bottom of the barrel.

So a great contrast

Not seen Vroom.
Old 09 May 2006, 06:43 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Vroom Vroom = Brainiac for cars
Old 09 May 2006, 08:03 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

5th Gear was pretty crap - I watched about 30mins, but turned off after that.

The bit was Tiff in the GT40 replica was pretty good, but the rest was boring.

They should go back to a 30min show - they dont seem to be able to keep it going for 1hour (well 45mins without ads).

Edit: hang on, didnt they have girls aloud on it?!! If so i'll catch tonights repeat!!

Last edited by Petem95; 09 May 2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:39 AM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

With no adverts and if they stopped continually telling us what was on later they would have a 20 min show. I like most of it but it's not in Topgears league I'm afraid. Having said that Tiff and Plato are far better drivers than any of the Topgear presenters.

The dull guy is a bloke I know quite well having seen him at many Goodwood trackdays. Peter Sewell - he supplies all the parts for BA and Virgin to name a few - so he is SERIOUSLY rich (as you saw). But he has given me rides in his Lambos (he has 2 Diablos) and he is a great guy - really unassuming.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:49 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Think of these car shows as newspapers; 5th gear being the Daily Telegraph, full of useful facts, and sensible reporting from people who know their stuff. Top Gear being the Mail, overhyped unrealistic reports from journalists who (with the exception of JC((just)) have no specialty in this field. Then there is vroom vroom which is like the front page of the Daily Sport, a simple mans read for the poorest and most inbred of the working class - complete and utter sh1te

In short for me, 5th gear is the only one that actually present facts about normal cars, by reporters who know about cars and I for one prefer it about all others
Old 09 May 2006, 09:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Vroom Vroom = Brainiac for cars

Words fail me as to how completely sh1te in every single respect this program is!!!

Testing a car by how far away you can hear the stereo??? AND I only got that far becuase of some tasty looking sort in a low cut top was bouncing about putting make up on.

The rest of it is cringe heaven. Not even the luverly Lisa Rogers makes up for its crapness.
Old 09 May 2006, 10:42 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Its not even 45 mins minus the ads. How much of the show is showing whats coming up, or whats after the break or going through the competition 7 times......... Absolute drivel, TG kicks that and that Vroom bollux into touch.
Old 09 May 2006, 11:01 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Top Gear is superb entertainment based strongly around cars, whereas Fifth Gear still tries to be factual whilst attempting to also be as entertaining as possible.
I would like to see a little bit of fact in TG, even if it was just a quick 5 minute group test (Focus v Golf v Astra or Octavia v Mondeo v Vectra etc) each week in amongst the silliness and supercars. Let's face it, was there a single part of last weekends show that was actually going to help you decide your next car purchase ?
5G on the other hand need to make a decision on which direction they're going to go. They can't follow TG as the presenters simply don't have the charisma to interact as successfully or humorously. They do however have significantly better driving ability, and I could watch Tiff drive sideways for the full show although that could get boring if they did it every week. A balance needs to be found where each show has a hint of fantasy exotica being thrashed, a dash of sensibility and fact to aid the common man in his quest for a decent car, a big dollop of fun and enough charisma to carry the poorer bits. One big problem I feel they have is the conflict of the drivers. Tiff comes across as the old hand, calmly overshadowing the young upstart Plato with the terrier like (in more ways than one) VBH constantly yapping at their heels about her abilities as she yanks off another handbrake and squeals like a stuck pig. Personally I'd ditch her in favour of the fat bloke (Tom ?) as he is always much more incisive, witty and entertaining than her, as well as having bigger t!ts.
Old 09 May 2006, 11:43 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The Ford GT40 replica looked and sounded awesome though

Last edited by Daz34; 09 May 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09 May 2006, 11:45 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Daz34
The F40 replica looked and sounded awesome though
Would that be the GT40 replica
Old 09 May 2006, 11:46 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

So were girls aloud on it or not?!!!!
Old 09 May 2006, 12:00 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Girls aloud next week!
Old 09 May 2006, 12:22 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Fifth gear should be revamped again:-
Limit programme to 30mins with 1 advert break (Advert break after only a few mins from start is very "American tv")
Get rid of the daft crash testing
When testing super minis why bother taking them around a track as they are clearly not designed for that! Open the boot, lets see the interiors (that goes for all motors) as we only seem to find out how fast they go around a track. ie we don't learn a lot about the cars featured. That comment applies to Top Gear too

Rename programme to 6th Gear - as many cars now have 6!

Nick
Old 09 May 2006, 12:27 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Rename programme to 6th Gear - as many cars now have 6!

Nick
Does that mean a move to Channel 6 then?
Old 09 May 2006, 01:00 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy-C
Does that mean a move to Channel 6 then?
Good point Andy. Never occured the term "5th" was taken from the channel it was broadcast from.

It's no wonder I can't find Top Gear as I keep looking on the "Top" channel
Old 09 May 2006, 01:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Words fail me as to how completely sh1te in every single respect this program is!!!

Testing a car by how far away you can hear the stereo??? AND I only got that far becuase of some tasty looking sort in a low cut top was bouncing about putting make up on.

The rest of it is cringe heaven. Not even the luverly Lisa Rogers makes up for its crapness.
Sometimes you just need to let your brain idle in neutral. Vroom Vroom fills this void perfectly.

I love the fact that they test acceleration on whether they can pull a tablecloth off without knocking the stuff over. It's pure genius.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:03 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Sometimes you just need to let your brain idle in neutral. Vroom Vroom fills this void perfectly.

I love the fact that they test acceleration on whether they can pull a tablecloth off without knocking the stuff over. It's pure genius.
I must admit that I have watched a whole episode. This was the breaking point for my GF. "This is utter Sh1te!" she exclaimed and stomped out the room.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:09 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I must admit that I have watched a whole episode. This was the breaking point for my GF. "This is utter Sh1te!" she exclaimed and stomped out the room.
Was she on about the programme, or had you cooked up a romanic dinner?

Old 09 May 2006, 05:14 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I honestly fell asleep 10 mins into 5th gear - best small cheap & nasty car that you can buy with the change in your pocket - what a load of old cobblers. I mean put that in the middle somewhere but not at the start, its an instant turn off. I would rather watch Top Gear twice than that rubbish.
I bet TG is destroying them in the ratings.

R.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:17 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Vroom Vroom is ****ing **** ****ing hate that piece of **** bull**** program.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:35 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Vroom Vroom is ****ing **** ****ing hate that piece of **** bull**** program.
totally agree but 5th gear isn't far behind !! i watched the top gear repeat last night and then 5th gear , the difference was astonishing !! i could watch top gear all night but couldn't wait for the adverts during 5th gear , i think i'm going to give it a miss from now on. it's utter tripe !
Old 09 May 2006, 05:39 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

5th gear is more indepth with cars and does get boring. Topgear is written script which exaggerates about a cars bad points to entertain us. Vroom Vroom is a car clown show.

"Now were going to see how well the astra VXR rides by putting a blonde in the seat trying to do her make up whilst it goes over bumps"

Utter ****e.
Old 09 May 2006, 05:40 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

The series of 5th gear is even worse than last series when they tried to copy the 3 presenters in the studio format of TG.
At least we're treated to at least one shot per episode of that cardboard cutout of VBH in the white mini....
Old 09 May 2006, 06:15 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Think of these car shows as newspapers; 5th gear being the Daily Telegraph, full of useful facts, and sensible reporting from people who know their stuff. Top Gear being the Mail, overhyped unrealistic reports from journalists who (with the exception of JC((just)) have no specialty in this field. Then there is vroom vroom which is like the front page of the Daily Sport, a simple mans read for the poorest and most inbred of the working class - complete and utter sh1te

In short for me, 5th gear is the only one that actually present facts about normal cars, by reporters who know about cars and I for one prefer it about all others
I am finding it hard to imagine what 5th Gear has in common with the Daily Telegraph!

The DT may not be my cup of tea - but it has depth, wit, usually an excuse for a posh totty pic in there somewhere - a broad intellect and a wide readership.

Indeed I am failing to imagine a publication that is like 5th Gear. It's a bit like one of those magazines that you collect weekly - it promises much, delivers an awful lot in the first episode and then spends each episode telling what has been, what's coming and what is on next week. All in the while what it actually gives you is one more unidentifiable part of the model you are building in four hundred weekly installments. Interminable, promising a lot and delivering so little, so slowly you think you have died and visited Purgatory.

So, yes there are facts, they are just not worth waiting for - except perhaps watching Plato try and get his leg over Girls Aloud!

Top Gear does not need facts - it is entertainment that involves cars. If you need to decide whether to buy a Kia or a VW or a Toyota there are oodles of magazines to help you do that - including Top Gear Magazine itself. Anything else would be a waste of Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Rannoch
Old 09 May 2006, 06:39 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch

He supplied spare parts to planes - what like bales of coke?!
Some drug dealers are turning to supplying dodgy aircraft parts.
Apparantly, its more lucrative.
astraboy.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear