Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloody so-called Kings of the Road

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2006, 10:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bloody so-called Kings of the Road

MrsREV got hit tonight by a artic HGV tonight on her way home from work. She was joining a roundabout at the end of a motorway slip road, started to go when a car came round the roundabout fast, so she stopped. The artic driver didn't see her stop and hit her at low speed (not sure how fast). Superficially, it looks like very little damage to her car (Forester) although it definately needs a new bumper.

Now, I can forgive accidents, we all make mistakes but this tw@t jumped out of his cab and started spouting off that it was her fault because she'd started to go and then "changed her mind". At this point she phoned me in tears so I told her to call the cops and tell them she was scared of him (which she was). I then jumped in the car to go and be with her.

Luckily the police told her straight that it wasn't her fault.

Bloody "professional" driver acting like a retard. The guy needs to grow a set of ***** and admit he fooked up, IMHO. Basically, he didn't allow enough braking room and didn't consider that she may not move off which when you're driving 38 tonnes of truck is unforgiveable. He also proceeded to tell her there was nothing wrong with her car

I was glad it was my turn to pick the baby up from nursery and he wasn't in the car.
Old 08 May 2006, 10:32 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

At least no one injured main thing!!
Old 08 May 2006, 10:43 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope the Missus is ok Rev

She should press charges !!!!
Old 08 May 2006, 11:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LegacySTi
At least no one injured main thing!!
Well, she is suffering with a sore neck, shoulders and arms. We spent most of the night in Minor Injuries while they checked her out and dosed her up on co-codamol and ibuprofen.

We're not "Claims Direct" kind of people but I think we'll be claiming for this as she's genuinely in a lot of pain.

I'm also annoyed because we're supposed to be selling the Forester and in the last 10 days someone's dropped a motorbike on it (denting the front wing) and now someone's driven up it's chuff
Old 08 May 2006, 11:19 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Had a close one today myself and I was the passenger in a Scoob for a change. Actually it's getting more frequent doing the nav thing.

We were behind a 38 tonne Co-Op lorry when he signalled left while on a good straight bit of NSL A Class tarmac. My friend went to overtake and then this womble put on his o/s indicator. Time to rein it back in.

So called "Professional Drivers". However, I did notice the lack of an "Am I driving safely?" number on the trailer. If it had been there I would have 'phoned it in.

Could have been bad.

Bah!

K.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:24 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your the superstitious type then there's still something else to come. Glad to hear the MRS isnt hurt too bad. I see it every day, drivers not paying attention at round abouts.

Was stationery a while ago, in the work van, and some f*cker in a truck drove into the back of it. Shame the C*nt was going slow at the time.
Old 08 May 2006, 11:25 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
If your the superstitious type then there's still something else to come.
Nope, somone rear ended the Mother-in-law the week before last. That's the 3 sorted hopefully
Old 08 May 2006, 11:39 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ken 275
Had a close one today myself and I was the passenger in a Scoob for a change. Actually it's getting more frequent doing the nav thing.

We were behind a 38 tonne Co-Op lorry when he signalled left while on a good straight bit of NSL A Class tarmac. My friend went to overtake and then this womble put on his o/s indicator. Time to rein it back in.

So called "Professional Drivers". However, I did notice the lack of an "Am I driving safely?" number on the trailer. If it had been there I would have 'phoned it in.

Could have been bad.

Bah!

K.
Well sorry Ken but I think the truck driver was indicating sensibly...
You can't just swing the truck left at a junction, he probably saw you try to overtake and stuck the other indicator on so as to tell you he has to swing out to get in...... as you should of realised..

Andy
Old 08 May 2006, 11:57 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
as you should of realised.. Andy
should have

How many more times?
Old 08 May 2006, 11:59 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

**** off

Andy
Old 09 May 2006, 12:05 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Professional Driver = someone who gets paid to drive. Doesn't make them any better or worse than "non-professional" drivers.

Sorry to hear bout it - this chap should certainly have paid more attention - hope wife better soon
Old 09 May 2006, 02:46 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your bad news. You always strike me as being alright so I actually am sorry . Hope it turns out ok.

J
Old 09 May 2006, 06:16 AM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

Basically, he didn't allow enough braking room
not having a go mate

but this just goes to show that when some muppet over takes a wagon and takes all the braking space up this is what happens but at a fast, speed to me everyday then people wounder why i blast the horn or flash them

rant over lol

and yes the wagon driver was in the wrong (from a wagon driver)
Old 09 May 2006, 06:38 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Professional Driver = someone who gets paid to drive. Doesn't make them any better or worse than "non-professional" drivers.
But it should, IMHO. I'm good at my job, they should be good at theirs
Old 09 May 2006, 06:40 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-si
not having a go mate

but this just goes to show that when some muppet over takes a wagon and takes all the braking space up this is what happens but at a fast, speed to me everyday then people wounder why i blast the horn or flash them

rant over lol

and yes the wagon driver was in the wrong (from a wagon driver)
I know what you mean, I have a full appreciation of how long a fully laden truck takes to stop and self-preservation means I don't carve them up.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. MrsREV is very achey this morning, told her to stay in bed with her pain killers.

I'm shocked how little damage there appears to be on the car. I've had a good look underneath and can't see any obvious damage, just a deformed back bumper and even that isn't immediately obvious. I think I made the right choice ditching her old Renault Clio for the Forester

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 09 May 2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09 May 2006, 08:26 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about it. Hope she's ok.

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
We're not "Claims Direct" kind of people but I think we'll be claiming
LOL
Old 09 May 2006, 09:22 AM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

We're not "Claims Direct" kind of people but I think we'll be claiming for this as she's genuinely in a lot of pain.
So your not
Old 09 May 2006, 10:51 AM
sociopath
BANNED

The wagon driver was in the wrong but you just want to claim to get some kind of revenge except you are shooting yourself (and the rest of us) in the foot. Cheers for the higher premiums!

Oh and your missus sounds like she's putting it on big time. Have a word!
Old 09 May 2006, 10:58 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I have rear ended someone too in the way that the wagon driver seems to have done. My fault entirely for not being observant enough. Was at a roundabout behind a white bmw, there's a big gap in the traffic anough for us both to get away. Then for some reason, the Bmw pulls away then stops while I'm merrily looking at oncoming traffic assuming the bloke has carried on. Low impact crash as I just realised before I hit him. Was a bit annoyed as if the bloke was driving correctly I wouldn't have hit him. That's no excuse for jumping out of a cab being the big man though.

Haven't made the same mistake now as I never assume that the car in front has pulled out and continued even if there was a massive gap in the traffic.
Old 09 May 2006, 11:06 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Well sorry Ken but I think the truck driver was indicating sensibly...
You can't just swing the truck left at a junction, he probably saw you try to overtake and stuck the other indicator on so as to tell you he has to swing out to get in...... as you should of realised..

Andy

He already said it was on a straight NSL road, where did you get that junction from?
Old 09 May 2006, 12:34 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I have rear ended someone too in the way that the wagon driver seems to have done. My fault entirely for not being observant enough. Was at a roundabout behind a white bmw, there's a big gap in the traffic anough for us both to get away. Then for some reason, the Bmw pulls away then stops while I'm merrily looking at oncoming traffic assuming the bloke has carried on. Low impact crash as I just realised before I hit him. Was a bit annoyed as if the bloke was driving correctly I wouldn't have hit him.
This is why i have no sympathy for your wife.I rate hesitant drivers in the same league as middle lane mongos,non-indicators and very slooow drivers!These are the people the government should be clamping down on,but cameras dont detect rolling roadblocks!Although the law says he is in the wrong,which he is,i still cant help feel he,s getting shafted for someone elses bad driving .As for getting out and giving it "the big man" did he really or did he just get out and show his frustration at being caught out by a poor driver??
Old 09 May 2006, 12:38 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
This is why i have no sympathy for your wife.I rate hesitant drivers in the same league as middle lane mongos,non-indicators and very slooow drivers!These are the people the government should be clamping down on,but cameras dont detect rolling roadblocks!Although the law says he is in the wrong,which he is,i still cant help feel he,s getting shafted for someone elses bad driving .As for getting out and giving it "the big man" did he really or did he just get out and show his frustration at being caught out by a poor driver??
So she should have pulled out in front of the driver that was coming around the roundabout quickly despite the fact that the law is "give way to traffic already on the roundabout"? I think it's you that's the poor driver.
Old 09 May 2006, 12:41 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

They are known as 'Knights' of the road and not 'Kings', (who would be in their counting house, counting out their money).
Old 09 May 2006, 12:44 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
They are known as 'Knights' of the road and not 'Kings', (who would be in their counting house, counting out their money).
Well this one wasn't particularly gallant.

Who are the Kings of The Road then? I thought the RAC were the Knights?
Old 09 May 2006, 12:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Well this one wasn't particularly gallant.

Who are the Kings of The Road then? I thought the RAC were the Knights?
He just couldn't handle his embarrassment very well, which does appear often the case when people make mistakes. He also thought he had a very strong case against your wife's indecision. However, he hit your wife, he is deemed wrong in law.

The Kings aren't on the road, I thought. Oh and the RAC are a breakdown company.
Old 09 May 2006, 01:06 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete1977
Surely if the truck driver should have been looking where he was going? Not everyone has the confidence in their car to pull out onto a roundabout when they see a previously hidden car come into view, and apparently at some speed. Shouldn't the waggon driver hang back and wait for the car in front to move off first?
Hesitation like this is in a completely different league to non-indicating etc - it's a reaction, rather than a concious decision to do or not do something.

If anything, I hate the 'look once' brigade who take a casual single glance at a juntion before pulling off, with no idea of how fast traffic is moving.
Old 09 May 2006, 01:10 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Also, bear in mind that when she stopped again, she couldn't even see the truck in her rear view mirror, he hit her a few seconds later despite the fact she was stopped with her brakes on (automatic being held on the brakes).
Old 09 May 2006, 02:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good to see that MrsREV was supported, not very nice to get shouted at by a bloke who was in the wrong anyway and was doubtless trying to cover it up by bullying her.

Hope she feels better soon.

Les
Old 09 May 2006, 02:56 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

i got hit by an artic a few months back and the guy tried to drive away. I blocked off the road and pulled..... er helped him from the cab, ripped off his ID badge and called the police. They said they werent interested as no one was hurt, so I lodged a complaint with them. As for the driver, he too said it was my fault - but hes clear now as to who was at fault.

Now the damn insurances want to settle 50/50. No chance - how can an artic in a lane marked 'left only' ignoring all the road signs - come to a roundabout and go straight on and hit me who was on the roundabout already - say it was my fault. Never mind the 'driving away' bit?

Malcolm of Brookfield - BEWARE!! Bunch of todger rodgers!
Old 09 May 2006, 06:54 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad

He already said it was on a straight NSL road, where did you get that junction from?
Well he was indicating to turn somewhere..

Andy

Quick Reply: Bloody so-called Kings of the Road