Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dreams - the bed company

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2006, 07:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreams - the bed company

I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow to have lunch with the sales director with a view to possibly joining the firm.

Anyone had experiences with them as either an employee or as a customer? If so, how have you found them? What's public perception like?

Any feedback welcome, constructive or other wise.

http://www.google.co.uk/pagead/iclk?...on%3Dview_page

Thanks

James
Old 06 May 2006, 07:54 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Yep bought several beds from them - always found them to be very good and reliable, beds good also. No problems here.

What job are you going for then?

J
Old 06 May 2006, 07:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many stores ... they ALWAYS have a SALE on!!

Beds are expensive, too expensive.

Pete
Old 06 May 2006, 08:03 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo

What job are you going for then?

J
Thanks for the response. I've not actually applied for a specific job but was invited to speak with the firm via one of their store managers. I may well be involved with the opening of new stores - perhaps rolling out training, recruitment, maybe even sales management. I'll find out tomorrow

Last edited by JTaylor; 06 May 2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06 May 2006, 08:04 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
DFS style? Do you feel they lack integrity Pete? We don't have any stores down here in Plymouth so it's difficult to get a feel. Would you say the Beds lack quality?
Old 06 May 2006, 08:12 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

James

Glad to see you are getting sorted on the job front mate

as luck would have it, I live in High Wycombe, where their head office is.
Apart from personal experience of their beds, mattress's etc, I dont know anything about thge company per se..but i do now that they have had or are in the midst of a big expansion program...

but the best thing, if you do come up to Wycombe for an interview, you c an always stay over
Old 06 May 2006, 08:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
DFS style? Do you feel they lack integrity Pete? We don't have any stores down here in Plymouth so it's difficult to get a feel. Would you say the Beds lack quality?
Yes, the balloons outside and other bollox that turn people right off!!

Quality beds are there - but at expensive prices .....

They play tricks like getting Silentnight (say) to name a bed another name just for them ..... so, the customer has no way of comparison - but I know that they are 20% overpriced hiding behind 'unique' names!

Pete
Old 06 May 2006, 08:31 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

You can ask him if its true that over the past 6 to 12 months they have had there credit rating downgraded several times, aswell having there credit terms extended from 30 then to 60 now 90????
Old 06 May 2006, 08:36 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
James

Glad to see you are getting sorted on the job front mate

as luck would have it, I live in High Wycombe, where their head office is.
Apart from personal experience of their beds, mattress's etc, I dont know anything about thge company per se..but i do now that they have had or are in the midst of a big expansion program...

but the best thing, if you do come up to Wycombe for an interview, you c an always stay over
Thanks for the comments Chris. I've been doing other short contract jobs but from what I understand Dreams offer good packages to the right people. I'll be based in and around Cardiff (assuming I take the job) initially but may well spend some time up in sunny Wycombe. We can have a sleep over and drink beer and everything . Cardiffs only 20mins from Castle Coombe too .

Originally Posted by PSLewis

Yes, the balloons outside and other bollox that turn people right off!!

Quality beds are there - but at expensive prices .....

They play tricks like getting Silentnight (say) to name a bed another name just for them ..... so, the customer has no way of comparison - but I know that they are 20% overpriced hiding behind 'unique' names!

Pete
That's a shame . Still, as Chris and their website state they're growing rapidly so it may be a case of selling out, swallowing my pride and taking advantage of the opportunity. I'll pass your comments on when the coffee's brought out should I decide it's not for me .
Old 06 May 2006, 08:44 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
You can ask him if its true that over the past 6 to 12 months they have had there credit rating downgraded several times, aswell having there credit terms extended from 30 then to 60 now 90????
What does this mean dude? Talk to me.
Old 06 May 2006, 09:05 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I hope you don't decide whether or not to take a job on the say so of some random people off the internet
Old 06 May 2006, 09:12 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine owns a bed company and thats what he told me, but I dont know the full facts, something like they used to have a AA credit rating but then had it downgraded because they sent out letters saying they were now paying in 90 days instead of 7 to 30 days to all of there suppliers. Could just be hearsay in the bed business but it could also have something to do with there rapid expansion?

In my opinion anyone who expands that fast is asking for trouble but if i was in your postion I would try and get in and "ride" the wave as long as possible!

The perks of companys expanding this fast are normally pretty good as well!
Old 06 May 2006, 09:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon
A friend of mine owns a bed company and thats what he told me, but I dont know the full facts, something like they used to have a AA credit rating but then had it downgraded because they sent out letters saying they were now paying in 90 days instead of 7 to 30 days to all of there suppliers. Could just be hearsay in the bed business but it could also have something to do with there rapid expansion?

In my opinion anyone who expands that fast is asking for trouble but if i was in your postion I would try and get in and "ride" the wave as long as possible!

The perks of companys expanding this fast are normally pretty good as well!
Interesting. I must admit, they do seem to be growing very rapidly, but with no capital investment I'm not too concerned. As you say, it may be a good time to get on board.

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I hope you don't decide whether or not to take a job on the say so of some random people off the internet
I shan't cancel lunch just yet Clare .
Old 06 May 2006, 09:24 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Pete

Come on Pete it's called marketing mate! Having worked in the bedding industry for sixteen years both in manufacturing and retail I have seen many sides to this industry both good and bad. I have no experience with Dreams but would recommend anyone to go into the bedding trade as it is a rewarding and lucrative proposition, providing you have the motivation to succeed. Out of interest Pete what would you call too expensive?

Maz
Old 07 May 2006, 01:05 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

As with any job offer, don't decide straight away, best to sleep on it!

I'll get my coat.
Old 07 May 2006, 09:25 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=513356

Post 21
Old 07 May 2006, 09:29 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Cardiffs only 20mins from Castle Coombe too .
By Jet plane it is.
Old 07 May 2006, 09:42 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
By Jet plane it is.
You get to Coombe by jet too? It's the only way to travel....

Last edited by JTaylor; 07 May 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07 May 2006, 09:51 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

lol
Old 07 May 2006, 10:48 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

They didnt fair too well on Watch Dog ...... I wouldnt buy from them.
Old 07 May 2006, 07:57 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
They didnt fair too well on Watch Dog ...... I wouldnt buy from them.
Ok, cheers. Just got back actually and have been offered a fairly good package. Three months on the shop floor "graduating" and then something a bit different thereafter.

Did a search, DREAMS and WATCHDOG and couldn't find anything. What was the bad publicity?
Old 07 May 2006, 10:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Looks like we we'll be seeing you soon then

Chip
Old 07 May 2006, 10:40 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

There was a thread on here about Dreams a while ago

The company definately featured on Watchdog - something about beds not being delivered for months and months...

There is something on the Watchdog website - but it doesn't seem to be working atm..This is the link from Google.

BBC - Watchdog - Dreams plc beds
Dreams plc is the UK's leading beds company. It has more than 100 stores, ... So Watchdog dreamed up a way to get the message across to the company. ...
www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/home/home_20051206.shtml - 29k
Old 07 May 2006, 10:42 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Found it

Something on there about them going bankrupt?? Haven't seen or heard anything in the press and their head office (local to us) still seems to be up and running http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=dreams
Old 07 May 2006, 10:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

We ordered a matress from then Xmas before last. One of the viscose jobbies. Excellent service, delivered on the originally agreed date, guys brought it in, unpacked it and put on the bed frame for me. Couldn't fault them.
Old 07 May 2006, 10:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
We ordered a matress from then Xmas before last. One of the viscose jobbies. Excellent service, delivered on the originally agreed date, guys brought it in, unpacked it and put on the bed frame for me. Couldn't fault them.
Apparently Watchdog has had hunderds of complaints about them..you must have been lucky
Old 07 May 2006, 10:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Out of interest Pete what would you call too expensive?
Maz
I have just today bought an Electric Recliner Chair which had a list price of £1095, I haggled it down significantly. The point being that I have got a quality item for everday item money.

And thats how I live my life, find the BEST - then haggle like billy to get the price down ....... so, I would consider a bed with a price tag of £1200 about right for my needs - if I can use my haggling to get it for around £800 then I would pay that.

When I say they are expensive - I mean that they price up identical beds (which have unique names to confuse the punters) at higher prices than the bed can be had elsewhere without haggling.

Pete
Old 07 May 2006, 11:00 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

I have just today bought an Electric Recliner Chair which had a list price of £1095, I haggled it down significantly. The point being that I have got a quality item for everday item money.

And thats how I live my life, find the BEST - then haggle like billy to get the price down ....... so, I would consider a bed with a price tag of £1200 about right for my needs - if I can use my haggling to get it for around £800 then I would pay that.

When I say they are expensive - I mean that they price up identical beds (which have unique names to confuse the punters) at higher prices than the bed can be had elsewhere without haggling.

Pete
It is very easy to confuse punters on things like beds. Unless you work in the trade you won't know what springs are used, which fillings are used etc. Here in the north a good comfortable bed in a double should cost no more than £500. That would incorporate pocket springs and memory foam. The best way to arm yourself is to get a copy of the bed buyers guide leaflet, produced by the National Bed Federation. This gives information on all aspects of mattresses and divan beds.
Old 07 May 2006, 11:00 PM
tyron.c
Scooby Regular

Being in the same industry (furniture) I hear they work the staff real hard, hence why they are always advertising for staff. From what ive seen they pay well!
Old 08 May 2006, 12:37 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Looks like we we'll be seeing you soon then

Chip
Probably Geoff

Didn't know there had been the issues with customer service, thanks for the insight. The guy I spoke with today talked of strict compliancy procedures and the outfit seemed professional. I guess rapidly expanding businesses are going to make mistakes; it's just a shame that someone has had to be put out by that. It'll be interesting to see first hand what the customer experience consists of and I'll speak to enough people to get an objective account of how the business has performed to date. The balloons will have to go

Quick Reply: Dreams - the bed company