Inland Revenue tax man any advice for PAYE employee

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2006, 08:41 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Inland Revenue tax man any advice for PAYE employee

Greetings All,

Just after a bit of advice, I am currently employed and have been for the last 10 years. I have always paid tax PAYE and bucket loads of it too ! Anyway last year I got a self assesment out of the blue for 2003 and 2004. I have no other employment or income so was confused why I should get this. I filled them both in and submitted as I believe you have to do this. I got a bill of £1 and -£1 on the other so I thought all is hunky dory.

4 Months later I get a letter stating they are opening a tax enquiry and what more information P60, bank statements, cheque books etc. Have sent them most of this but am woundering why this has happened ? Also what powers do they have with regard to accessing personal financial information ? Got a tax return for 2005 to top it all off (haven't even got my P60 yet). Have they got nothing better to do ?
Old 04 May 2006, 08:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for starters I wouldn't have sent my bank statement, and cheque books to anyone, no matter if there the government or not. Why would the Tax man ask for your cheque book? Bank statement which have your account numbers on them? Doesn't sound right to me.

If I was you, the first thing I'd do is call your bank in the morning and tell them what's happened. Ask them not to accept withdrawals from your account unless they have your permission. Better still, swap bank accounts, and quick. Get them to cancel all your cheques from that book.

Next thing I'd do, is have a word with your employers accountant, as he is the one that works out your tax/National insurance contributions. How are you supposed to know if he has made a mistake? Also, phone the Tax office and get them to explain the situation, as to why they are investigating you.

It all sounds VERY dodgy to me. Phone the bank in the morning !!!!
Old 04 May 2006, 08:54 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by banny sti
Greetings All,

Just after a bit of advice, I am currently employed and have been for the last 10 years. I have always paid tax PAYE and bucket loads of it too ! Anyway last year I got a self assesment out of the blue for 2003 and 2004. I have no other employment or income so was confused why I should get this. I filled them both in and submitted as I believe you have to do this. I got a bill of £1 and -£1 on the other so I thought all is hunky dory.

4 Months later I get a letter stating they are opening a tax enquiry and what more information P60, bank statements, cheque books etc. Have sent them most of this but am woundering why this has happened ? Also what powers do they have with regard to accessing personal financial information ? Got a tax return for 2005 to top it all off (haven't even got my P60 yet). Have they got nothing better to do ?

Ah good old Inland Revenue they can get blood out of a stone yet couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery!
Old 04 May 2006, 09:00 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

There are numerous reasons why you were sent one in the first place.....none sinister.

There are also numerous reasons why you are now being investigated (again, none very sinister)

You have two simple options, comply with the IR or (even better) give them a call and chat to the bloke doing the investigation. Tell him your concerned and have never been through anything like this before and he will put you at ease i'm sure. Since self assesment started the IR has gottten VERY good at dealing with the public on these issues....because they have to now they need you to help them do the job.

You should find them quite easy to deal with....i have had plenty of discussions with them where i was missing info they wanted or had claimed something i shouldnt have (in their opinion) and it was always sorted very amicably.

Rhino

ps- someone with your bank account details can no more steal your money than someone that knows your car reg can drive your car without the key!
Old 04 May 2006, 10:17 PM
Greatnorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino
ps- someone with your bank account details can no more steal your money than someone that knows your car reg can drive your car without the key!
...unless he's a 14 year philippine boy with the internet
Old 04 May 2006, 10:20 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

They do select entirely random people for investigation to keep us all on our toes. As advised above - ring them and once you're through they're usually very helpful.

I sometimes wonder how we all avoided fraud when we merrily sent cheques to all and sundry with our names, account numbers, sort code and example signatures.....
Old 04 May 2006, 11:08 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have to do as they say ? Do they have similar powers as the police.
Old 04 May 2006, 11:31 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

They do not have similar powers to the police they have similar powers to GOD.

Andy