Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone on here work for the Inland Revenue?

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2006, 07:48 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone on here work for the Inland Revenue?

PM me if you want to remain anonymous LOL

Basically I would like to know why every year for the last 5 years I seem to have underpaid by some 370 quid, only to either pay it by cheque/credit card etc or to have it taken out of my tax code

This seems to happen everytime I submit a self assesment, (only to claim my mileage relief, so only 3 boxes to fill in, other than P60 info

Ive phoned the tax office and they dont have a clue, ive now been referred to the legal department, who claim they dont have a clue either and are now investigating as to why my self assesment gets ammended

I spoke to the inspector of taxes who again doesnt know why, so I have asked them to complete a full investigation on me for the last 5 years, to try and get to the bottom of it, but it takes weeks apparently

So was wondering if anyone knew why you always get an underpayment every year, despite me claiming back some 1200 overpayment every year too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add

This overpayment also seems to be deducted from the amount I recieve via the self assesment, but yet they still insist every year I have underpaid by 374 pounds, and they take it off me every year too (btw I am on a standard tax code)

Steve
Old 02 May 2006, 07:50 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'cos I've been attaching my self assessment forms to yours and you're paying my shortfall. Just write the bloody cheque, Monkeh
Old 02 May 2006, 07:51 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL Rev, the thing is, I pay it every year, like I said, either through my tax code or by a cheque etc

even the tax office and legal department dont know why it happens
Old 02 May 2006, 08:41 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Hmm frickin IR they want stringing up, law of the land is innocent until proven guilty, o no not the IR, guilty until proven innocent. Its quite sickening to know people have commited suicide because of their blunders.

T Blair
Old 03 May 2006, 08:11 AM
Reality
BANNED

**Just a guess **

You have underpaid in a year previously. You have paid the money each year buy they have never cleared the original "debt".

I had something similar for years on my self assessment - it was for £2.80 - but it was an over payment - it just seemed to carry on forever.

One year I asked them to pay it cos they annoyed me .

Getting them to Investigate your case could lead nowhere fast - might be better to get an accountant to have a quick shifty - they should be able to tell you what's the problem in a couple of minutes - IR could be 20 years !
Old 03 May 2006, 09:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

As above - an accountant should be able to figure it out in no time. I am still trying to get the IR to sort out stuff from 1997. Also, every year they tell me that I haven't evey paid an NI contributions. Every year I call them up. Every year they check the computer and tell me it is an error on the computer. Every year they ask me to send all of my P60's so they can fix the error. Every year they send it back with a letter stating the error has been fixed. - Now I send the previous years letters back with the P60's
Old 03 May 2006, 09:37 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I'd like to know how I ended up having £0 tax rebate last tax year, despite being PAYE all year for the same firm