salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

me too. its been awhile now
Old 23 April 2006, 04:20 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pass his work everyday and used to see him often.

I've not seen him since he was sentenced so he may be still inside or no longer working for his Dad.

Cheers
Lee
Old 23 April 2006, 05:00 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

think he got 5yrs tho Lee!!
Old 23 April 2006, 07:04 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

he'll do 2 1/2 max if hes been good
Old 23 April 2006, 07:11 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

What happened to the guy? Did a search and no mention
Old 23 April 2006, 07:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Rude to a Moderator.......
Old 23 April 2006, 08:08 PM
swiftnick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Rude to a Moderator.......
Lesson for us all there then
Old 23 April 2006, 08:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Never heard of him.

Chip
Old 23 April 2006, 08:40 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

IIRC he got sent down for allegedly being involved in a race where someone else in another car lost control, crashed, and died. Though there was much dispute as to his actual involvement, or whether he was there at all.
Old 23 April 2006, 08:42 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by James Neill
What happened to the guy? Did a search and no mention
If you read thru' some of the search results you will find out some stuff. Curiousity got the better of me but do not want to post what I found in case it is wrong.

Sort of linked - was he the dude who had the black mini vtec with 14" x 7" tyres that was featured in Miniworld a couple of years back ??
Old 24 April 2006, 05:16 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewanrw

If you read thru' some of the search results you will find out some stuff. Curiousity got the better of me but do not want to post what I found in case it is wrong.

Sort of linked - was he the dude who had the black mini vtec with 14" x 7" tyres that was featured in Miniworld a couple of years back ??

Darren is one of the nicest guys you could meet, he used to own lots of cars including the vtech mini.
His main car years ago was a modified 22B type UK which is why he used scoobynet. Later he had a Porsche GT2 and a Lambo Gallardo.

There was an accident in Mansfield, a 911 and a motorcyle were racing and the biker lost control and died, the 911 didn't stop.
Darren was charged a year after the accident after a witness came forward but it was later found out the witness has a friend/relative who also owns a 911.

Bottom line is Darren got 5 years and he still insists it wasn't him.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 April 2006, 07:16 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

apparently he raced a guy on a Ducati who over took him and (i think it said in the Nottm Evening Post) the guy on the bike hit a car head on coming the other way, Darren said he knew nothing about it.

Witness at the time said he heard/sore a car like Darrens on the same road!
2 and 2 were put together

Old 24 April 2006, 08:43 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
apparently he raced a guy on a Ducati who over took him and (i think it said in the Nottm Evening Post) the guy on the bike hit a car head on coming the other way, Darren said he knew nothing about it.

Witness at the time said he heard/sore a car like Darrens on the same road!
2 and 2 were put together

I do not know the facts of the case, but convict him him just because his car is similar to one seen on that road seems a dreadful miscarriage of justice. I do not want to start a debate but surely there must be more to it. They must have had to prove he was there and driving dangerously. If not then it could be any one of us at any time in the same situation

For the grace of God go i
Had several 'runs' with bikes sometimes we even MAY have exceeded the speed limit but fortunately no problems. One of the best was down country lanes between Bisecter and Stony Stratford

Last edited by The Zohan; 24 April 2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 24 April 2006, 08:55 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

There would need to be corroborating evidence to put him away for five years.

Beyond reasonable doubt is the criteria - and a car similar to his on the same road by a witness a year later is not enough!

No disrepect to Darren who I don't know but 95% of the incarcerated are 'innocent'.
Old 24 April 2006, 09:09 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

He got that mini off a friend of mine. Damn it was quick! Sorry to hear about his situation

Last edited by RichB; 24 April 2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 24 April 2006, 03:29 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
There would need to be corroborating evidence to put him away for five years.
The late comming eye witness said it was a black GT2, there was less than 5 in the country at that time and only one in the Midlands.
The other four owners could prove where they were on the day, Darren freely admitted he was in Mansfield at the time (It's where he lived).
After the trial another witness came forward and said the 911 he saw was blue and not a GT2.
There were roumers of an appeal at which point Darrens legal teams asked scoobynet to delete all the threads at that time.

There was never any contact between the Porsche and the Ducati. If you race a bike and he looses it then be prepared for a causing death by dangerous driving charge.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited by logiclee; 24 April 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 24 April 2006, 03:40 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by logiclee
The late comming eye witness said it was a black GT2, there was less than 5 in the country at that time and only one in the Midlands.
The other four owners could prove where they were on the day, Darren freely admitted he was in Mansfield at the time (It's where he lived).
After the trial another witness came forward and said the 911 he saw was blue and not a GT2.
There were roumers of an appeal at which point Darrens legal teams asked scoobynet to delete all the threads at that time.

There was never any contact between the Porsche and the Ducati. If you race a bike and he looses it then be prepared for a causing death by dangerous driving charge.

Cheers
Lee
Sorry - but if that's ALL the evidence then Darren needs a NEW legal team or we need a new criminal justice system .
Old 24 April 2006, 03:54 PM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Sorry - but if that's ALL the evidence then Darren needs a NEW legal team or we need a new criminal justice system .
Sounds like it!!!
Old 24 April 2006, 03:58 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Agreed.

I cannot believe someone of his apparent means cannot hire a decent legal team that could demontstrate that one dark 911 could be mistaken for a other dark 911.

Or that the late arriving witness who saw his GT2 was not a credible one.

I sense an incredble amount of naievety here - either from the person convicted of the crime, or from all those who believe he is innocent.

I also find it strange, given the huge number of comments that he was, in fact, innocent, that his family and friends have not pulled together, hired the best legal team money can buy and are fighting for his release.

You don't run cars like that without having a decent amount of finaincial clout.

As for the other post trial witness who said the car was blue (and hence not his) I cannot believe his evidence was not taken into account.

This whole thing makes no sense whatsoever, unless of course you run with the scenario that maybe it was DC911 who was involved with the Ducatti.
Old 24 April 2006, 04:03 PM
Reality
BANNED

I also thought that the differences between a 911 and the GT2 were mostly under the bonnet (could be wrong - I'm no Porsche expert).

Unless the witness was the Product Development manager for Porsche how would you know a 911 v GT2 from a car that was racing a Ducati (presumably doing some sort of speed).

Old 24 April 2006, 04:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Exactly - unless you are very close to the car and could read the badge, you'd never know it was a GT2. At a distance it could be a Turbo or a C4S, but you'd have to be a Porsche fan to spot the differences.
Old 24 April 2006, 04:42 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One does wonder if the witness was asked if they could offer conclusive proof that it was a GT2 and not another 911 model, as stated above, you'd need to know about the cars to know exactly what it was. Even if it was identified by the bodykit/wing as a GT2, it does not mean it is one, could have been a C4 with a GT2 bodykit and wing on it.
Old 24 April 2006, 04:53 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

putting aside for a moment whether it was his car or not, why was 'he' seen to be responsible for the other persons death? Surely the only crime 'he' is guilty of is speeding/driving without due care etc?

The other driver chose to participate in a race and therefore is responsible for his own actions? How can darren/whoever be held responsible for someone else choosing to race and losing control?

There was another such incident near here recently and I just dont get the law on this
Old 24 April 2006, 04:58 PM
Reality
BANNED

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
putting aside for a moment whether it was his car or not, why was 'he' seen to be responsible for the other persons death? Surely the only crime 'he' is guilty of is speeding/driving without due care etc?

The other driver chose to participate in a race and therefore is responsible for his own actions? How can darren/whoever be held responsible for someone else choosing to race and losing control?

There was another such incident near here recently and I just dont get the law on this
If you're racing someone you are jointly responsible for anything that happens as a result of that race. Not sure if this is the law but it seems reasonable enough to me.
Old 24 April 2006, 05:11 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

i think if, between them, they cause damage to another person/property fine, they share responsibility but i dont see why they should be responsible for eachother....

just my opinion....
Old 24 April 2006, 05:37 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Exactly - unless you are very close to the car and could read the badge, you'd never know it was a GT2.
I think the witness went further as he knew Darrens car as did a lot of car people around Mansfield so he probably placed Darrren at the scene.

Remember Darren wasn't actually charged for nearly a year after the accident.

Cheers
Lee
Old 24 April 2006, 06:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It is also VERY subjective.

Last year I was driving across the moors in an isolated part of the country and a on a long straight I overtook a long stream of cars. I had plenty of visibilty and could easily and safely clear the cars.

There was a bike behind me who followed me past the cars and then passed me and went away out of sight.

Two corners later he had hit a car head on overtaking another car. We stopped and he died at the scene within minutes.

It worried me at the time that some Maestro driving Mr Sensible could have said we were racing (we weren't) simply because we were doing over 50mph and daring to overtake him. To Mr Sensible a 911 and a bike going briskly - i.e. faster than his sight-seeing pace must be racing.

On the basis of the above conviction all I need is a couple of neds to turn up at the Police station and I am away for five years...

...or is there more to the conviction we are not aware of?

Last edited by Trout; 24 April 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 24 April 2006, 07:41 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Yeah, its the same guy. Read the article about him and his mini and seemeed pretty sound. Tough break with the 5 years and all that tho'.

ewan

Quick Reply: hows DC911 doing?