Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Costco - returns policy suggest can return item ANYTIME for full refund for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2006, 09:42 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Costco - returns policy suggest can return item ANYTIME for full refund for no reason

Is it true that Costco UK have a returns policy where you can take anything you buy back at any time for no reason for a full refund??
(excluding computers which are limited to 6 months).

Seems to be that so long as you remain a member, they have an "unconditional" guarantee that you can get a refund on any item you buy at any time (even if not faulty).

Does this mean that, in theory, you could get a new tv/washing machine/fridge every 12 months or so?

Surely not?!?!
Old 15 April 2006, 10:34 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Yup I've heard this too... although not tried it

yet
Old 15 April 2006, 11:07 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Taken stuff back before (both by choice & faulty) with zero resistance, they use you membership card to verify purchase so I'm sure a repeat offender would get identified (Although three years & three dishwashers later......)

D
Old 16 April 2006, 09:05 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Nice big plasma for the World Cup anybody?
Old 16 April 2006, 10:00 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Nice big plasma for the World Cup anybody?
You may laugh, but this is apparently what DOES happen in the USA on Superbowl weekend - everyone buys their huge tellys and takes them back the next week, no questions asked.

Seems a good deal for £29/year
Old 16 April 2006, 10:10 AM
richiewong
Twatful

MMMMM Costco
Old 16 April 2006, 10:12 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Have to say, compared to Currys/Comet/Dixons etc, at least the tv's are setup with a decent signal feed - all seemed to have HD feeds running from a media server....which shows off the tellys very well indeed.

Trending Topics

Old 16 April 2006, 10:27 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

You also get a free 3 year guarantee with the TV's
Old 16 April 2006, 03:34 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep its true, my other halfs parents shop there all the time, they've taken back tellys fridges after a year absolutely no problem at all!

One thing I would say is if you're going to costco make sure you have something in mind to buy, the number of times Ive been to the one in Watford just for a 'look' thats ended up with me parting with a load of cash!

Gary
Old 17 April 2006, 12:33 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
You also get a free 3 year guarantee with the TV's
Very true mate - but to add to that; you actually get an EVERLASTING guarantee! :O As long as you remain a member on your original card, if the TV goes wrong AFTER 3 years, they immediately refund the full purchase price! No faffing around. Crazy but true.

All our TV's have come from there for some time now! Might be worth mentioning that sometimes they get stock from their European stores and are Benelux/French models (a bit like this: which should be this in the UK: ) so it's important to know the model numbers etc before you visit.

Last edited by mad_dr; 17 April 2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: To add the piccies
Old 17 April 2006, 10:59 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Hey thats my bedroom TV on the right, guess where from
Old 17 April 2006, 02:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

costco's returns policy is excellent, we returned a damaged washing machine to them 15months after buying it and they refunded me the cash you dont have to argue with them either as they happily refund your money!!!
Old 17 April 2006, 03:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Hmm, certainly worth knowing!
Old 17 April 2006, 03:19 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Where are the stores?
Old 17 April 2006, 03:34 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Costco UK Locations
Aberdeen
Birmingham
Bristol
Chingford
Derby
Edinburgh
Gateshead
Glasgow
Haydock
Leeds
Liverpool
Manchester
Milton Keynes
Oldham
Reading
Thurrock
Watford
Magna Park (depot)
Home Office

www.costco.co.uk

isn't seach a wonderful thing
Old 17 April 2006, 04:15 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Talking

When you do it right yes. (i got the .com site)
Old 17 April 2006, 04:23 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Is the stuff competatively priced and do you need to join to look round?
Old 17 April 2006, 04:30 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by paulr
Usually much cheaper then the high street and often internet prices

You need to be a member to join either as a trade member or as an individual, such as public sector worker, armed forces etc.

About £30 a year membership but worth it.
Old 17 April 2006, 08:52 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Mostly v good prices but I would advise if you know what you are after have a look around before you go just to check.
Old 17 April 2006, 09:18 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

can confirm they take almost anything back
The misses took back a kettle which was leaking over a year later and had it replaced brand new gratis
Old 18 April 2006, 08:57 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

As has been said - usually cheaper because it's a cash and carry so you're paying a bulk price for a single item. For instance, the last TV we bought from them was a 26" Samsung (like in my picture above). It was a brand new UK model - just been released and quite highly sought after (there were threads on the AVForums of places that had them in stock - people were going quite a distance to get them). Retail price was £749 in the high street if you were lucky enough to get one. Online places were doing them for £599 and even now, 6 months later Play are doing them for £599. We paid £575 with 2 free scart cables, the lifetime guarantee.

PLUS - the best bit is, the salesguy was a legend. Firstly, there weren't any boxes around so it looked like they were out of stock. "No problem" he says and trots off to have a hunt round the warehouse. We go off to the restaurant for some 70p Coke and a hot dog. He comes back around 15 minutes later and says "Success - there are 6 in the warehouse - they only came in yesterday so they're not on the shelves yet. Would you like to see one?" He then goes off to get it and returns a couple of minutes later. We asked to see the set itself. "No problem" he says and opens the box (carefully) and shows us the set. Looks great so we ask if he can get it out of the box. "Sure" he says and proceeds to get it out of the box and set it all up. We asked him to hook it up to different sources, etc. Again - no problem. This guy couldn't do enough. Then - to top it all off, we decided we wanted it but the remote control was nasty so cheekily, we asked him if we could swap the remote for one of the far nicer looking ones from a larger Samsung. "No Problem"...

What more could I ask for? Nowt.
Old 18 April 2006, 09:04 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mad_dr
As has been said - usually cheaper because it's a cash and carry so you're paying a bulk price for a single item. For instance, the last TV we bought from them was a 26" Samsung (like in my picture above). It was a brand new UK model - just been released and quite highly sought after (there were threads on the AVForums of places that had them in stock - people were going quite a distance to get them). Retail price was £749 in the high street if you were lucky enough to get one. Online places were doing them for £599 and even now, 6 months later Play are doing them for £599. We paid £575 with 2 free scart cables, the lifetime guarantee.

PLUS - the best bit is, the salesguy was a legend. Firstly, there weren't any boxes around so it looked like they were out of stock. "No problem" he says and trots off to have a hunt round the warehouse. We go off to the restaurant for some 70p Coke and a hot dog. He comes back around 15 minutes later and says "Success - there are 6 in the warehouse - they only came in yesterday so they're not on the shelves yet. Would you like to see one?" He then goes off to get it and returns a couple of minutes later. We asked to see the set itself. "No problem" he says and opens the box (carefully) and shows us the set. Looks great so we ask if he can get it out of the box. "Sure" he says and proceeds to get it out of the box and set it all up. We asked him to hook it up to different sources, etc. Again - no problem. This guy couldn't do enough. Then - to top it all off, we decided we wanted it but the remote control was nasty so cheekily, we asked him if we could swap the remote for one of the far nicer looking ones from a larger Samsung. "No Problem"...

What more could I ask for? Nowt.
You sound like a right pain in the ***!
Old 18 April 2006, 09:58 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Best thing is to go and check (for TV's) what they have in stock and then look at the same spec on-line. Have done this a few times, and found the same spec on-line for cheaper including delivery. Not everything is cheaper - given that Costco work on buying in bulk to help save money. TV's sell less than toilet rolls hence there will be a difference. Always worth it and with delivery on some of the big mumma TV's, it can save a lot of hassle.

Their returns policy is great though... never had an issue so full respect to them...
Old 18 April 2006, 10:29 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
TV's sell less than toilet rolls hence there will be a difference.
TVs will be more expensive than toilet rolls ? Well I never !
Old 18 April 2006, 12:21 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You sound like a right pain in the ***!
Heh heh - I am when it comes to spending the best part of £600 It was mainly because when I arrived, they also had the 32" version for only £50 more so I wanted to compare the picture qualities etc
Old 18 April 2006, 12:39 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Then - to top it all off, we decided we wanted it but the remote control was nasty so cheekily, we asked him if we could swap the remote for one of the far nicer looking ones from a larger Samsung.
I bet he didn't call you all the names under the sun once you'd left - honest guvnor.

Sounds like top drawer service though.
Old 18 April 2006, 12:50 PM
falkster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK

One thing I would say is if you're going to costco make sure you have something in mind to buy, the number of times Ive been to the one in Watford just for a 'look' thats ended up with me parting with a load of cash!

Gary
Cant agree more!!! I went with the wife as we had seen some table lamps for our living room which were tons better than ones 10x more expensive (£40 for the pair) and came back with the said lamps, some Mobil1 oil, 12 months worth of washing powder and softener, enough mince and meat to feed the british forces for a lifetime, a set of spanners and sockets, a 3 ton trolley jack.......and a dirty great jar of ghirkins!!!
Old 18 April 2006, 12:50 PM
wilko44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryK
Yep its true, my other halfs parents shop there all the time, they've taken back tellys fridges after a year absolutely no problem at all!

Gary
I would agree there.
As much as I enjoy wandering around Costco, I have come to the conclusion that whatever your intentions when you go in there, it is physically impossible to leave without having spent at least £100!
Old 18 April 2006, 07:28 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

I think there guarantee is different for TVs. eg fix at home. ?