Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitness First

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2006, 06:04 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitness First

Anyone any experience good or bad with fitness first,just took the five day guest pass and am now getting about five calls a day to join,do these people not know when to stop??
Old 14 April 2006, 06:11 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I've been a member for 4+ years, always been happy with them. Gyms nothing amazing but OK and there are lots of them around the country which was good for me.
Old 14 April 2006, 06:33 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

cheers kiwiGTI
Old 14 April 2006, 06:35 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Theyre *******. Be sure you wnat to be a member before signing up.

Dont have a good reputation on bodybuilding boards at all.
Old 14 April 2006, 06:43 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Theyre *******. Be sure you wnat to be a member before signing up.

More for fitness than bodybuilding AudiLover,thanks for your reply.I dont like the hard sell part usual crap one girl gives you a price then hold on I'll get my manager who gives you a better price but wait he goes to have a talk with his manager who believe it or not gives a even better price why cant they just cut the **** and offer you it at the start?.
Old 14 April 2006, 06:48 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

I wasn't at all impressed with my local one. Loads of treadmills, sunbeds and "aromatherapy" relaxation rooms, but next to no free weights. What should have been a 30 minutes session would take an hour and a half as you'd have to queue to get on every piece of kit.

They also make it as awkward as possible for you to end your membership.
Old 14 April 2006, 06:50 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Thats because its aimed at a totally different market.If it was aimed at bodybuilders it wouldnt make as much money
Old 14 April 2006, 06:52 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

The PTI,s are also of a very poor quality.Some of the advice my wife was given was just plain ridiculous.Personally id stay away.
Old 14 April 2006, 06:55 PM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up !!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by rmtypeR
I wasn't at all impressed with my local one. Loads of treadmills, sunbeds and "aromatherapy" relaxation rooms, but next to no free weights. What should have been a 30 minutes session would take an hour and a half as you'd have to queue to get on every piece of kit.

EXACTLY my thoughts, and after 3 months after joining i dont bother going anymore :-(

Raz
Old 14 April 2006, 07:01 PM
Big Daz
Scooby Regular

Was a member at FF for 2-3 years about 2 years ago, Ok gym but slightly oversubscribed Didnt seem to maintain equipment till it broke entirely then had to wait to get it repaired. The thing that made me leave & join another was the quality of Trainers they started taking on - appauling (sp) Guys that looked down on you and were more interested in pulling the women than doing their jobs*, Maybe thats why their prices have dropped loads over the last 12 months
* Personal opinion only *
Daz
Old 14 April 2006, 07:06 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Daz
The thing that made me leave & join another was the quality of Trainers they started taking on - appauling (sp) Guys that looked down on you and were more interested in pulling the women than doing their jobs*
Daz
Also some that were not very fit looking themselves,hardly a good advert for a gym!
Old 14 April 2006, 08:04 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

My missus works for Esporta, fantastic place, they're memberships are over £55 a month and it's almost next door to a Fitness First, but lots of people moving to her gym and are prepared to pay the premium for a well ran place with good PTI's and quality of service.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:07 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rmtypeR
What's hard about canceling a direct debit?

All the ones I've been to have free weights, the trainers I can't comment on but they definitely aren't fit or a good advertisement for the gym.

But as I said nothing amazing but as I was traveling a lot before, their network of gyms was unsurpassed.

They had all the normal cardio machines, enough machines and free weights for normal people, reasonable showers and a sauna etc.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Depending on where you are these people can give you a good workout.

http://www.britmilfit.com/
Old 14 April 2006, 08:15 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Been a member for just over 2 years, loads of CV equipment, never had any trouble getting on any of them.

I use mainly free weights and again have ever had to queue to get on there either, although i never go around 5-7pm, always mid morning or early afternoon.

I don't use a PT anymore, train myself but when I first started used a PT all the time, very good and laways easy to get hold of to book appointments etc.

No probs in recommending them
Old 14 April 2006, 08:35 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

I used to be a member, no real problems, was busier on Fri evenings, so avoided at that time like the plague. Just cancel the direct debit to end membership, simple, they hasseled me a little when I did it, but just ignore them after cancelling and they get the message. One tip is haggle, haggle, haggle with the sales team. I got my full membership down to £20/month, instead of about £40/month. They DO have the option to give you a better deal, just stick at it, and tell them your considering other local gyms, who are offering good deals.

Proby.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:38 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
What's hard about canceling a direct debit?
When I joined I had to give direct debit details and also a debit/credit card number. This was in case I cancelled the direct debit they can take the money from your card without any further permission - or so it says in the small print of the contract.

You have to give 1 full months notice if you want to quit - fair enough I suppose. However when I told them on reception that I wanted to end my membership I was told I had to have a cancellation interview during which they would fill in a form detailing my reasons for leaving. Unfortunately the one and only person who could do this interview didn't work on that day so I was told I'd have to come back during the week. Explaining that I worked during the week they said that if I wrote to them they would send me this form instead. This I did, at the same time as cancelling my direct debit.

2 weeks after having written to them I was phoned to inform me that my direct debit had been cancelled and unless I re-instated it I would be in breach of my contract and the matter would be referred to their credit control department. I told them I had written 2 weeks previous to which they replied they had not recieved anything (so unreliable the royal mail these days isn't it? ). I then sent them copies of all my previous letters via recorded delivery which I know arrived. 1 month on and I still haven't heard anything back from them so I'm assuming my membership has finally been cancelled. The whole process seems setup to deter people from leaving by making it as long winded as possible.
Old 14 April 2006, 08:49 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

When I handed in my notice of cancellation of my membership @ FF, I backdated it a month and cancelled my direct debit, never heard anything haha
Old 14 April 2006, 08:50 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Proby521
. One tip is haggle, haggle, haggle with the sales team. I got my full membership down to £20/month, instead of about £40/month. They DO have the option to give you a better deal, just stick at it, and tell them your considering other local gyms, who are offering good deals.

Proby.
They done away with the £100 joining fee(probably routine to make you feel their going that bit extra for you),and quoted £37 per month for 3 month contract and £28 per month for 12 month contract,has anyone else got the 12 mth contract for less than £28?
Old 14 April 2006, 08:51 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Also I take it the contract has a 2 week 'cooling off period'?
Old 14 April 2006, 09:53 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Dont your local swimming bars also have GYM's in them? Ive read plenty horror stories about fitness first and trying to cancel memberships on www.muscletalk.com

As for personal trainers theyre pretty much a waste of time. Just log onto muscletalk and get better information for free from people who have actually done it themselves. Most personal trainers dont know much at all to be honest.

I used to pay £4.30 a pop or £40 a month for my local health center but now I go to a propper gym which costs me £1.50 a pop. Much bigger, less frills more equipment and people that are serious about training. Not ones that get there and then start chatting away or hugging equipment.
Old 14 April 2006, 09:57 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I used to pay £4.30 a pop or £40 a month for my local health center but now I go to a propper gym which costs me £1.50 a pop. Much bigger, less frills more equipment and people that are serious about training. Not ones that get there and then start chatting away or hugging equipment.
The scenery is a lot better though in FF and similar than in those "proper gyms" (which look suspiciously gay sometimes)
Old 14 April 2006, 11:01 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
My missus works for Esporta, fantastic place, they're memberships are over £55 a month and it's almost next door to a Fitness First, but lots of people moving to her gym and are prepared to pay the premium for a well ran place with good PTI's and quality of service.

im a member of Esporta, nicely run, clean, good facilities, good PTI's (although i see one of them out clubbing quite a bit )

not overly busy either with a good free weights area and smith machines.

plus pool, sauna, steam, jacuzzi, lots of discounts too.

£55 you say, how about £68 where i go.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:17 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I've been a member of Fitness First for around 4 years now. I go with a friend who is a serious body builder and also acts as my trainer. Our previous "dinosaur" gym had more weights and less CV machines but closed due to financial problems, hence joined FF....

The problems with our club are:-
Lack of car parking spaces
Faulty equipment left until broken
Too many CV machines
Too many members hogging machines
Gym too small for the amount of members, particularly at peak times
Sun blazing through the large windows at this time of year! - need some blinds

Plus Side:-
Cheap membership
Pleasant staff
We get what we want out of each session (well, eventually)

Have looked at other gyms in the area and Virgin seems to be the best in terms of size and price.

Nick
Old 15 April 2006, 10:49 AM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Initially, I paid £30 joining fee, £25/month on a 3 month contract! That was only last year.

Proby
Old 16 April 2006, 04:01 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Mate went for his induction today,he was told to be there at 9.30 so I tagged along,he was early unluckily for him his PT wasnt infact he didnt show up until 10.15!!.So you think worth the wait,well no he asked him did he know how to use the machines to which my mate said he did and that was it induction over!!!.Plus what is it withthe women at reception are they always suffering from PMT/PMS,a grumpy little lot they are.
Old 16 April 2006, 06:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lpski1

im a member of Esporta, nicely run, clean, good facilities, good PTI's (although i see one of them out clubbing quite a bit )

not overly busy either with a good free weights area and smith machines.

plus pool, sauna, steam, jacuzzi, lots of discounts too.

£55 you say, how about £68 where i go.
Lee, me too

My g/f, our kids & me cost £140 a month for us at my local one.

Excellent place to go, most of my family are members also.

Plus you always find the latest & best cars in the car park, like my 535d
Old 16 April 2006, 06:51 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

ps kids eat free in the restaurant after 6pm on a friday What other Health Club offers that eh ????
Old 16 April 2006, 07:28 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

A restaurant in the gym!!!!!! Your ment to help members lose weight not pile it on.
Old 16 April 2006, 07:37 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

A restaurant in the gym!!!!!! Your meant to help members lose weight not pile it on.
When did i mention it was a gym ???

Its a health club with sorry ......... a brasserie not a restaurant

I also corrected your mistake

Last edited by sti-04!!; 17 April 2006 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Fitness First