Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2006, 12:32 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how you expect it too work is how it should work but now they hold back because if you give bad feedback to them they have the opportunity to get revenge and give you bad feedback. pees me right off although to my suprise I bought a dump valve for the brother in law last week and as soon as I paid for it I had + feedback straight away, well please. First time thats happened and my feedbacks on 30.... 1 in 30 is ****
Old 07 April 2006, 12:32 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Are there manners/etiquette on ebay with how/when feedback is left?

Only just started using it and bought a couple of items from different sellers, paid for them straight away and thought the sellers would leave feedback. Nearly a week on and they haven't left feedback and was wondering are they waiting for me to leave it first as if it was the way its supposed to work?

Surely the seller should be leaving feedback as soon as the buyer has paid for the item?

So are there unwritten manners with ebayers and expect things to be done in a certain way?
i normally ask them to leave feedback after i have recieved the item and all is ok, but it can be left upto 30 days after i believe, just email them and just remind them.
Old 07 April 2006, 12:59 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Bravo, years ago a seller would quite happily leave feedback on receipt of payment and the buyer would then leave feedback on receipt of the goods.

However, most sellers now are fed up with people leaving negative feedback from the buyer for things totally out of the sellers control.

As an example, a seller I know received negative feedback because the buyer said he had "Only nipped out for 10 mins" and missed the delivery.

There are plenty more examples like the above that only make you realise how futile it can be to your rating if you leave feedback first.

Technically of course from a sellers point of view, the transaction isn't complete until the buyer has said the goods have been received. Therefore the seller should be expected to leave feedback last, unless of course the seller was informed of the goods being received via email or phone etc.
If this is the case, the seller can leave feedback on knowing the transaction is complete, regardless of whether or not the buyer has left feedback.
Old 07 April 2006, 03:16 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

ebay brings out the worst scum
im on my 8th account now and tbh i will stop trading on there
it is a magnet for all the greed and woe in the world
Old 07 April 2006, 03:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I will leave feedback then. One them will get a comment for charging me £2.99 for postage when it was 68p and a 50p jiffy bag lol but thats my only gripe.
Also, some of the sellers use eBay's automated feedback software that doesn't leave feedback until the buyer has.

With postage costs, eBay do allow sellers to charge for a packers time and time spent going to the Post Office on top of the actual postage cost and materials.

Even so, £2.99 is steep.
Old 07 April 2006, 03:46 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I will leave feedback then. One them will get a comment for charging me £2.99 for postage when it was 68p and a 50p jiffy bag lol but thats my only gripe.
You had a choice, you didn't have to buy it.

I look at it like this, when the buyer has the goods, he should leave feedback to state he is happy, then the seller leaves feedback to thank them. If the seller leaves feedback first, the the buyer can do whatever he pleases, and with the tossers on eBay you don't want that.

I have had bad feedback because they bought off me something they didn't really want, did the ***** ask for a refund? Did they even bother to contact me? No. They just left neg feedback. I have others who state it wasn't what they wanted, they get a refund, and everyone is satisfied with the outcome.

So... for that reason, I always wait for feedback before leaving it myself. I currently need to leave feedback for 44 members
Old 07 April 2006, 03:51 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

One other thing is that I won a bid and when I asked the seller if I could pick it up to save a bit on postage he said I couldn't because he didn't actually have the item in stock but would get it sent to me from a shop. I then told him as he was trying to sell me something he didn't have I didn't want it and would get it from someone who had it to sell. Since then he has not got back to me and has sent me an invoice and not cancelled the sale. I take it Ebay would be on my side if he refuses to cancel it as he didn't have the item to sell and was within my rights to tell him to forget it? How do I get him to cancel the sale?
Hmm, some people rely on the postage to up the income, that may be while he said it. As for eBay, I think they tend to side with the buyer, and as for you trying to contact them and get help Good luck!! They're about as much use as a concrete hang glider!!!
Old 07 April 2006, 03:56 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Correct but I thought for £2.99 he would have posted it spending that money to send it, not spend 68p on postage and pocket the rest as extra profit. I thought that was not allowed under ebay rules?

FleaBay has no postage rules, Amazon do.

He had to buy the jiffy bag or whatever, pack the item, write the address, write the senders address, walk to the Post Office, pay for postage.

It all adds up, I always try to be realistic, if the total amount cost me £1.50 to pack and post I'll charge £2.00. If you don't like it don't buy my item, simple as, just look before you buy.... Which my wife didn't the other month after too many glasses of wine... Bought a 99p "Tiffany" necklace on my Paypal account... and didn't realise the postage was £9.99 !! It was an absolute pile of ****e too
Old 07 April 2006, 03:58 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Oh I wont contact them, its if he opens a dispute instead of cancelling it. I simply wont pay him the money, nothing he can do about it.
He can leave neg feedback, and so can you, but if he has a high feedback rating one neg from you will mean nothing, if yours is low then you'll be hit the hardest!

It's a ****ty situation, hope it works out for you.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

One other thing is that I won a bid and when I asked the seller if I could pick it up to save a bit on postage he said I couldn't because he didn't actually have the item in stock but would get it sent to me from a shop. I then told him as he was trying to sell me something he didn't have I didn't want it and would get it from someone who had it to sell. Since then he has not got back to me and has sent me an invoice and not cancelled the sale. I take it Ebay would be on my side if he refuses to cancel it as he didn't have the item to sell and was within my rights to tell him to forget it? How do I get him to cancel the sale?
Drop-shipping is common on eBay, loads of sellers don't hold the stock they are advertising. However, the seller would have been better off saying you can't collect because he/she isn't insured for home pick-ups.

That way you have no argument.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:15 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

************** - the Buyer from hell!!! LOL
Old 07 April 2006, 04:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Spoon I think he was getting it sent from Hong Kong though when I wanted to buy from the UK. I didn not want the wait when there are UK sellers who can post the same day. He p!ssed me off because he wasn't honest in his advert.
If you want quick delivery, look out for the "Get it fast" logo. Even those who have items in stock don't always post out every day.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Correct but I thought for £2.99 he would have posted it spending that money to send it, not spend 68p on postage and pocket the rest as extra profit. I thought that was not allowed under ebay rules?
I often charge more than the actual postage. It's fair enough.

I pack an item, print a label, walk down to the Post Office at lunchtime, wait in a queue for 15-20 minutes etc and you complain about an extra £1 or so, which was clearly labelled on the auction.

If the true cost was applied taking into account my normal hourly rate I should be charging £40 - £50 to post a DVD.

Edit to add if any of my buyers want to pick up the item I am always happy for them to do this and I charge no postage/package costs.

Last edited by KiwiGTI; 07 April 2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:34 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Then I will stop being so honest with postage costs then if thats how it works. To me the postage cost is the physical cost of the stamp and the packaging. If its 68p for a stamp and 50p for a bag then to me that is £1.18 postage not £2.99! The time you spend selling it is down to you selling the item not for the buyer to pay for
Disagree I'm afraid, everyone is out to make a buck, like people say, postage is clear on eBay (most of the time!), so you know what you are paying. If you don't like, don't bid.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:35 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

I think that if the postage cost is clear, you haven't got a leg to stand on if you don't like it. Postage cost is the cost to you - if you think the overall price of getting the goods is too high, don't buy them.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Then I will stop being so honest with postage costs then if thats how it works. To me the postage cost is the physical cost of the stamp and the packaging. If its 68p for a stamp and 50p for a bag then to me that is £1.18 postage not £2.99! The time you spend selling it is down to you selling the item not for the buyer to pay for
As I explained above (That appears to have been ignored) the costs aren't just the materials and postage.

It's called business. I couldn't get a packer to work for me free.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

When Subaru stop charging me labour for servicing my car, I'll stop charging for my time in wrapping, labelling and posting parcels on e-bay.
Old 07 April 2006, 04:50 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Blimey! I only charge the actual cost of the postage and the price of the jiffy bag. Listening to you lot it's time i increased my postage charges!!
Old 07 April 2006, 04:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weapon69
Blimey! I only charge the actual cost of the postage and the price of the jiffy bag. Listening to you lot it's time i increased my postage charges!!
Hey, if you're happy working for free, I can find you some work, packing my ebay sales!
Old 07 April 2006, 05:02 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Old 07 April 2006, 05:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

If its a business then fine you charge but for an individual selling items i'm sorry but you want to sell the item so you put the effort in making sure it gets to the buyer on time and packed properly.
And you as the buyer are made aware of what you'll be charged up front, if you don't like you can buy elsewhere.

No wonder ebay is full of tossers making all their money out of postage costs. The profit/income is supposed to come from the sale of the item, not shipping Shipping is a cost, not a profit maker.
But why make a profit on an item to then reduce or lose it by not covering all the costs associated with the shipping? Everybody on ebay is doing it to make money, if you're just clearing out your wardrobes then take it to the tip or put it on freecycle.org

Last edited by OllyK; 07 April 2006 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Ebay