Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 03:20 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rowing/cycling machine

My Dad is after a rowing machine to try and get a bit fitter in his old age

He has found this one
http://www.exercisezone.co.uk/store/...5Fid=SDF%2D005 - which is a rower and a bike for under 300 quid. Has anyone got any experience of these things please?

I only ever use the ones down the gym, but I expect they cost a lot more than he is willing to spend.

A bike and a rowing machine for under 300 quid seemed good value to him (and me) but he doesn't want to waste his money if it's going to be sh1te.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Cheers

Steve
Old 04 April 2006, 03:40 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Sub97

I have tried so many different rowing machines from the cheapest to the most expensive ones...the only one I would ever consider purchasing as opposed to using at the gym would be a Concept II. No question. Yes, there are numerous ones out there at a much reduced price but when you are buying a piece of dedicated exercise equipment I'm convinced it is better to buy the best that you can afford.

Concept II all the way I'm afraid. A lot more expensive than £300 but you really do get what you pay for. Occasionally you can find them second hand, especially recently as there has been a new model released.
Old 04 April 2006, 04:28 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks BrettC.

Where do you suggest looking for them mate - eBay?
Old 04 April 2006, 04:35 PM
JamesMcD
Scooby Newbie

Have a look at www.concept2.co.uk
Concept will rent you a rowing machine for £50 a month, minimum rent period of three months.
James
Old 04 April 2006, 04:56 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Sub97.

Yep, there are several up for sale on ebay at the mo. They seem to be going for about £500 - £750 dpending on condition, age etc. I actually think this is quite expensive when you can get the latest, Model D, brand new for £950.

Or like James said, you can rent them for £50 a month.

Good luck mate.

Brett
Old 04 April 2006, 07:21 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I just got my concept II delivered an hour ago. They are "only" $850 here and seem very good value and well regarded.

The box looks quite heavy and I'm sure it will require effort to assemble, so I am going to pysche myself up for a few days before attempting it.

My philosphy was / is you get what you pay for, I won't enjoy using a rickety piece of junk and injury is more likely if the machine is inferior and rattling around, and you know you'll have to replace it soonish too! Plus the concepts hold their value second hand and you have to use it as it's cost so much money!

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 04 April 2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04 April 2006, 07:52 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

errrr.... hang on

join a proper gym for only £25 per month and get 2 use ALL the facilities, the difference he saves per month he can use on a personal trainer session to get a tailored traiing program to suit HIM and the goals/reslts he wants... much much better option IMHO..

mikey
Old 05 April 2006, 09:06 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

I don't think I'll be able to convince him to spend that much though.

Anyone have any experience of the lower price end of the marker?
Old 05 April 2006, 09:14 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Rather than buy something at the low end of the market which are notoriously unreliable and not a pleasure to use (IMHO opinion of course)............please see Mikey's suggestion.
Old 05 April 2006, 09:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Why doesnt he join a gym? That would cost about £50 a month and is worth it.

My dad in law has just joined out gym.

I do about 15km a week on a Concept II and can confirm they are great
Old 05 April 2006, 09:26 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Doh, didnt see Mikeys post. Guess my gym is a bit steep as well
Old 05 April 2006, 09:41 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

his best bet is to join a gym, if hes retired a daytime membership may be cheaper over the year than a £300 rower (and a whole lot better)

if he's determined to get a rower then any dedicated rower (not sure about a row/bike commbo) will be fine at £300. Concept are very good but its a gym rower designed for heavy use...hence they cost a lot. Its overkill for an old bloke in front of his TV. I have used concepts and also cheaper gear....in fact, the first time i used a concept in anger i rowed sub 6 for 2000m and had only ever used a cheap argos rower before that which i found fine.

T
Old 05 April 2006, 10:09 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Sub 6min for 2000m. Very nice. Which club do you row for?
Old 05 April 2006, 10:12 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

none, never rowed on the water....too wet.
Old 05 April 2006, 10:18 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Tiggs, a sub 6m is a complete waste if you dont compete. Any club would welcome you on board with an erg time of that.

2005 season (concept rankings) a sub 6m would put you in the top 25 out of about 9000 entries including all weights.

Just out of interest. Height? Weight?

cheers
brett
Old 05 April 2006, 10:26 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
Tiggs, a sub 6m is a complete waste if you dont compete. Any club would welcome you on board with an erg time of that.

2005 season (concept rankings) a sub 6m would put you in the top 25 out of about 9000 entries including all weights.

Just out of interest. Height? Weight?

cheers
brett
Too old now, this was years ago when i was early 20's (now 32)

Was a bit of waste but i hated rowing, only did it for a laugh at local gym competitions and stuff....never used a rower for exercising (apart from the Argos one!)....i just turned up at local comps and won, just mucking about really.

Last time i used one was at my local gym over a year ago....i had just started training after a back prob and was very out of shape (about 32% body fat!)...they had a 500m challenge.....best time was a 1.34, i was chatting to an instructor in knew (i used to work in gyms years ago) and did it for a laugh...no warm up and not sat on a rower in about 5 years!......did a mid 1.20's.....was quite funny!

T

ps- stats at 19 - 6ft 6 18 stone, ripped stats at 32 6ft 6 19 stone (and no longer very ripped!)
Old 05 April 2006, 10:32 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

I used to do local gym comps too. My best was a 6m 38s. I'm 6'1 but only about 12st 8lb at the mo. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Best ever 500m was 1m 27s
My proudest: 42,195m (ie marathon) in under 3 hours.

I had better get my lazy **** back down the gym.
Old 05 April 2006, 10:38 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

lol....rowing is soooo boring though! The idea of getting on one for more than 6 mins seems grim!

the only thing i really regret was not competing in the indoor champs in the mid 90's......around that time there was big russian bloke that was fast (under 5.50's i think) and i wouldnt have beaten him but Greg Serale (sp?) was the fastest UK person and if i had done some training i would have beaten him......which would have been quite funny as he was a big name then after the olmpics and used to compete in a Union Jack leotard. I worked at the gym where they held the comp and thought it would be funny to compete in my staff uniform and beat him......as though i had just done it on my lunch break

still........dwelling on the past is bad enough past 30 without dwelling on things yo could have done better!
Old 05 April 2006, 03:55 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

He doesn't want to join a gym, it's not really his thing. He lives out in the country in the middle of nowhere, and he fancies a rower he can put on his patio and sit there admiring the view and getting a bit fitter.

Plus he is notoriously tight, so a concept is out I'm afraid.

Can anyone recommend a dedicated rower at around the 300 quid mark then please - or are they all much of a muchness?
Old 05 April 2006, 04:03 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Sub97

My one recommendation would be to spend your dad's budget on a dedicated rowing machine rather than a rowing machine that also doubles as a bike.

Then if he also wants a stationary bike, you can pick those up really cheap.
Old 05 April 2006, 04:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub97
Can anyone recommend a dedicated rower at around the 300 quid mark then please - or are they all much of a muchness?
find a decent store and go sit on a few, at £300 they will all be ok for home use - just make sure he's comfy on it.
Old 06 April 2006, 09:55 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tiggs and BretC - will do.
Old 06 April 2006, 10:15 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

Saw this thread and the fact there was a figure of £300 mentioned and I thought to myself 'guaranteed everyone will want him to spend circ. £1k on a Concept 2 (oh, and Tiggs will come on quoting times)
Good ol' Scoobynet as predictable as always
Although it is refreshing to see a little common sence too. A Concept 2 would be way more than your old man would need. As Tiggs says go to any good fitness store and try out their dedicated rowers and buy the best/most comfortable for your budget.
Old 06 April 2006, 10:17 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
oh, and Tiggs will come on quoting times
nice then that the person who used a £25 Argos rower is faster than anyone else here
Old 06 April 2006, 10:24 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

But you have it chipped, upgraded handles and row link don't you
Old 06 April 2006, 10:34 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

'A Concept 2 would be way more than your old man would need.'

Nope, I completley disagree.

I too have worked in several gyms as a fitness instructor and personal trainer. The amount of times that I have seen the 'cheap' rowing machines break or people complain about them due to an unusual noise, poor build quality or erratic action is unreal. Due to these factors people would often choose to use an alternative piece of equipment despite wanting to row or waiting so they can use a concept 2 (even the more elderly amongst us).

Also with Sub's Dad - [pedant mode on]all we know is that he wants to get fitter in his old age. [pedant mode off] That's not to say that he isnt already fit and for all we know he may be the size of Tiggs! In which case a £300 rowing machine isn't going to last 5 mins.

Also, this piece of fitness equipment will be his only piece so it really should be able to go the distance and be a pleasure to use.

What's better value, £1000 that will be used frequently (with subsequent fitness gains) or £300 as an expensive dust collector?

My point being - this is a real case of buy one quality item rather than several cheapies.

'Good ol' Scoobynet as predictable as always'....yes though
Old 06 April 2006, 10:42 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
nice then that the person who used a £25 Argos rower is faster than anyone else here
6' 6" and 19 stone anything to do with it?
Old 06 April 2006, 11:20 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
6' 6" and 19 stone anything to do with it?

lol......thats right....i can only row faster than most other people on the planet because im tall, no talent involved

Had that when i played basketball.....fast break finish with a tomahawk dunk over whichever muppets were double teaming me and people would say.....thats easy because you are tall! No one ever said "that must be hard to get 19 stone so far off the ground

ohh...and this blokes dad doesnt want to spend over £300 so its not cheap rower V concept...its cheap rower V no rower......get him down Argos!
Old 06 April 2006, 01:57 PM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

My Dad isn't the size of Tiggs - dont worry! He's normal height/build and he isn't very fit at all.

Knowing him, he'll buy something on the cheap, get into it, realise it's cheap and crap then go and buy a brand new Concept II
Old 06 April 2006, 02:11 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Good luck to him Sub97...admirable that he is doing it at all.

Quick Reply: Rowing/cycling machine