Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How Dare You Pass

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 11:36 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How Dare You Pass

Just had another - Toot the Horn, Flash the lights in anger as I dared to pass someone doing 35mph in a 40mph country road. I could see about 400yds ahead and I know the road really well. Why do people do this.
Laugh was it was a guy in a white van who then caught me up when I went into a 30 zone a bit later so wonder what speed he was doing then.
Must admit he backed off tailgaiting me when he saw the big mad dog in the back.
Old 04 April 2006, 12:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Funny, since I got rid of the Scooby, this doesn't hppen to me even though I still overtake. Just goes to show, it's just people being idiots (as per bloody usual)
Old 04 April 2006, 12:22 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Still get tailgated in the vectra..
cue vauxhall van northbound on M1 a week ago...and didnt he hate it when I tapped my brakes...lights flashing... on moving over noticed when he came past it looked like he was questioning my parentage. feckin idjits
Old 04 April 2006, 12:59 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Tailgating is stupid, but brake testing tailgaters is lunacy. What can it possibly achieve?
Old 04 April 2006, 01:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
Tailgating is stupid, but brake testing tailgaters is lunacy. What can it possibly achieve?

A new rear bumper and a nice whiplash claim obviously
Old 04 April 2006, 01:02 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk

A new rear bumper and a nice whiplash claim obviously
Chav, living off small claims court payouts
Old 04 April 2006, 01:23 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Well I've learned something today!
Old 04 April 2006, 01:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
Well I've learned something today!
Is it that people are stupid?
Old 04 April 2006, 01:30 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Unfortunely the old quick dab on the brakes can sometimes be the only way to get rid of idiot tailgaiters ! Especially if the traffic is too heavy to purposly slow them down and then acclerate off again and leave them blundering behind !
Tends to wake them up - especially as they then realise that you can brake a lot faster then they can !
Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 04 April 2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04 April 2006, 01:45 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
Must admit he backed off tailgaiting me when he saw the big mad dog in the back.
Your missus would be horrified if she knew you were on here talking about her like that
Old 04 April 2006, 01:51 PM
Goochie
Scooby Regular

Washing the windscreen works wonders with tailgaters - especially those on 2 wheels.
Old 04 April 2006, 02:14 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

400 yards with a 5mph speed differential. I'd have to do the maths but sounds tight.

I live in the country. On a straight road. Its 30mph. houses on one side - common on the other. tw*ts still think its OK to overtake.

Wife went to pull out and turn right one day. She looked right - 1 car in distance coming towards her. She looked left no traffic. Pulls out and turns right. Shes now facing cars in both lanes coming towards her. Some idiot had pulled out to overtake the car doing 30. He did lots of flashing when he had no right to be in that lane at all. And nearly ran the wife of the road.

yes I drive in an impreza. Yes I overtake but I dont do it down 30/40 sections.
Old 04 April 2006, 03:10 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
400 yards with a 5mph speed differential. I'd have to do the maths but sounds tight.

I live in the country. On a straight road. Its 30mph. houses on one side - common on the other. tw*ts still think its OK to overtake.

yes I drive in an impreza. Yes I overtake but I dont do it down 30/40 sections.
Distance given was a guess but lets say I could start to pass, stop for a burger, start to pass again and still make it easy. Also country in this instance means only thing I may hit will be a hedgehog as no houses in that section of road.

No , I don't drive an impreza. Yes I overtake and I do in this 40mph section.
Old 04 April 2006, 07:26 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alas
"Hooch" looked hungry did he?
Old 04 April 2006, 07:33 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I get flashed at ALL the time for overtaking 40 in 60'ers . I just laugh.
Old 04 April 2006, 07:38 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Goochie
Washing the windscreen works wonders with tailgaters - especially those on 2 wheels.
....but not as good as the scooby headlamp washers

The only time I ever use that feckin button
Old 04 April 2006, 07:43 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wife went to pull out and turn right one day. She looked right - 1 car in distance coming towards her. She looked left no traffic. Pulls out and turns right.
Good job there wasn't a motorbike coming either or your missus would have pulled out in front of the bike, always remember think once think twice think bike

and yes i drive a foo-kin-fast impreza and over take if the need arises
Old 04 April 2006, 07:56 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I honestly dont understand your point ? A bike would have been just as visible as a car ...unless of course it was ridden by a retard and overtook in a 30 mph/residential area to save himself 600 yards until the 60mph zone with no houses round the next bend.

Seeing my wife have to drive onto the verge to avoid a head-on collision with an impatient tosser didnt give me any reason to "".
Old 04 April 2006, 08:05 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

i got flashed the other day by a car going the other way on a bit of de-restricted road

the speed kills political spin has been bludgeoned into the moral majority so overtaking is now dangerous where ever it is performed, because you are obviously driving too fast if you need to overtake someone
Old 04 April 2006, 08:16 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
"Hooch" looked hungry did he?
Yep - we'd had to bribe him with a couple of peanut treats so he would let me dry him after a walk through the woods - hence about 6 inches of slobber on each side of his mouth
Old 04 April 2006, 08:32 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

I honestly dont understand your point ? D".
i was meant as fun sir, as the new advert on telly for car drivers hitting bikes, cos they only look once when pulling out from a junction to turn right when they should look again for a bike
Old 04 April 2006, 09:12 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Whilst I'd generally agree about not usually overtaking in 30s, it the guy had already pulled out to overtake, and was in that lane of the main road, when your wife was looking to join from a sideroad/driveway - I'd just ask who's right of way is it, in the eyes of the law?

I'm not trying to judge this instance, I wasn't there. However, it's possible that someone somewhere else was posting how he was overtaking some car that was indicating it was about to park / was doing 8mph or whatever, when this lunatic woman pulled out of a driveway and headed towards him without looking properly.

Saying overtaking in a 30 is always wrong is also about as sensible as any other sweeping generalisation. You'll overtake parked cars? You'll overtake cyclists doing 10mph? So what's the difference for overtaking a car that is doing 10mph? I have occassionally overtaken in a 30 where there is a lot of space/visibility to do so, and the vehicle I'm passing is going a lot less then the speed limit.
Old 04 April 2006, 09:14 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

P.S. to get back onto the original subject - yeah, there are morons who seem to enjoy making big queues go at 40mph in 60s and get very upset when someone spoils their fun by passing. I seem to get this reaction much more in my TD commuter-hatch than in the scoob, FWIW.
Old 05 April 2006, 12:18 AM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Foot_Tapper
Still get tailgated in the vectra..
cue vauxhall van northbound on M1 a week ago...and didnt he hate it when I tapped my brakes...lights flashing... on moving over noticed when he came past it looked like he was questioning my parentage. feckin idjits
It's bad to do this I know but these folk seem to lack a simple understanding of the laws of physics, so my technique is to use my left foot on the brake pedal to just bring the brake lights on while keeping right foot on accelerator pedal to maintain speed. It usually works.
I think many of them don't realise how close they are, they are in a dream and not thinking about what they are doing.
I also think some have poor, uncorrected eyesight.
Old 05 April 2006, 08:35 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Whilst I'd generally agree about not usually overtaking in 30s, it the guy had already pulled out to overtake, and was in that lane of the main road, when your wife was looking to join from a sideroad/driveway - I'd just ask who's right of way is it, in the eyes of the law? "

i think its suggested he was speeding to overtake hence got to the scoob driver sooner than she thought....so he was in the wrong.
Old 05 April 2006, 09:48 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"Whilst I'd generally agree about not usually overtaking in 30s, it the guy had already pulled out to overtake, and was in that lane of the main road, when your wife was looking to join from a sideroad/driveway - I'd just ask who's right of way is it, in the eyes of the law? "

i think its suggested he was speeding to overtake hence got to the scoob driver sooner than she thought....so he was in the wrong.
doesn’t matter how fast the oncoming traffic is going, they have right of way...i found out the hard way when i was 18 and my mkI xr2 had an altercation with a 200sx
Old 05 April 2006, 11:54 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza01
Good job there wasn't a motorbike coming either or your missus would have pulled out in front of the bike, always remember think once think twice think bike

and yes i drive a foo-kin-fast impreza and over take if the need arises
I thought this. Even though dsmith refuses to see the obvious; the reason that his wife found herself in this position, was due soley to her lack of proper observation. If you pull into the carriageway without looking properly, then you are responsible for the accident. I hope that the next time she does this she doesnt kill a motorcyclist and assert that it was his fault not hers, 'because he was going so fast': or overtaking on what was a clear carriageway.....!

Simon
Old 05 April 2006, 11:59 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Probs driving a stonking great SUV and is therefore 'safe' whatever she does.
Old 05 April 2006, 12:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

so if she looks right and sees a car someway off......knows she can easily pull out in time and does so but as she is pulling out someone overtakes the car coming towards her at 120mph and is now heading right for her...thats her fault????
Old 05 April 2006, 12:41 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

People are stupid, end of.

I'm not sure how the population became like this, but I sure it's all Blair's fault

Quick Reply: How Dare You Pass