Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

house purchase - where do we stand ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2006, 10:13 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question house purchase - where do we stand ?

we agreed a purchase on a house in the first week of Jan and the selklers asaid they couldnt exchange/ complete before w/c 21 March we rae still waiting to here when we might be able to complete - what can we do about it as they set the original "probable" dates???

would luv to tell them to stick it but we really love the house and its the only like it on the market at the mo ???? anyone any ideas if they is anything we can do ????
Old 03 April 2006, 10:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Well to be honest it only just gone on longer than the average house sale anyway. What is it thats holding the sellers up? If theyre not prepared to sell it and get a move on with the sale it shouldnt have been on the market in the first place, Id tell them to set a date and get it agreed with all the solicitors etc otherwise knock £10k off the agreed price Then you'll probably get an idea off how serious/desperate they are to sell.
Old 03 April 2006, 11:47 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

well tbh were're not sure - initially they emigrated to singapore and were not looking to tie in the sale with another purchase but it now seems they are trying and they have lost out twice in the last 4 weeks as they are in a chain ? so why dont they just sell and then buy a new one ??? but the odd thing is the estate agent doesnt know the score neither does their solicitor and she keeps nipping back virtually every other w/e to the UK without telling anyone --

i feel like riniging the doorbell and asking politly if they have any idea whats going on and if they intend to go ahead with the sale ??
Question is if i did this and you were the seller would you be put off ????
Its only really fair and the "decent" thing to do by keeping people involved informed ????????
Old 03 April 2006, 12:11 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

we ve just bought a house, as above say, we dont mind paying the 'x' amount asked but we have to rent mean time as we have sold our house and need to get out, which is costing us 'y' per month so we will need to reduce the price for each month you are there,

we did this and got a date within 2 days.

ian
Old 03 April 2006, 12:48 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I take it your sale completed last week as expected? Tell the people that you are buying off that you can't leave this open ended and that if they can't exchange within 14 days you will have to start looking for somewhere else. If they are serious they wont want to lose a cash buyer. If they are not serious at least you get to find out sooner rather than later
Old 03 April 2006, 01:06 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

the problem is that cos they are trying to buy down in ascot they are seeing rising house prices down their and if i'm honest if they put this back on the market at say 10-15K more it would still sell v quickly so althougfh we are cash buyers i'm not sure we can bargain with them that much.............!!!!!!!!

i'm waiting for some suggestions from the agent !
Old 03 April 2006, 10:59 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest therefore that your bigger problem is that if prices are rising, and they decide in 6 months time "sorry, we just can't sell", you'll be paying a lot more to get somewhere broadly similar.

I lost one potential purchase this year after the sellers decided they didn't want to move. You really need to make a firm but fair point; I'd suggest in the first place that they need to propose say before end of next week a firm committed date for both exchange and completion. (set the 1st ultimatum on them coming up with a date, not on exchange or completion). If they aren't prepared to commit to actually moving, IMHO chances are you're already on a hiding to nothing. If they are prepared to commit to a date, see if it is acceptable to you.

An option to secure the deal is to exchange now with an agreed specified completion date in the future - my first house I bought with a guaranteed completion of ~3 months in the future, as that was an acceptable compromise for me and the sellers at the time.