Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

милый, любезный, from Moscow

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2006, 09:24 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default милый, любезный, from Moscow

милый, любезный, (Good Afternoon?) from Moscow! Been sent out here with work and have already seen a couple of scoobies, red mica classic wagon and wrc blue bugeye saloon.

Weather's not as cold as i thought it was going to be, about 4 deg c but there's still plenty of snow at the side of the road and on the grass.

прощальный привет, (bye?)
Old 03 April 2006, 09:36 AM
paulpaulpaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi What line of work are you in that has taken you to Moscow ?
Old 03 April 2006, 09:47 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

I work for a US law firm but am normally based in London. I run the records and risk management departments for our european offices. Not bad at 26, but it's a hell of a learning curve and the pay reflects having to learn everything.

Still i get to see the world. already been to L.A, Silicon Valley, Chicago, New York, Paris and now Moscow. Will be back in Paris in a few weeks and then will be going to Rome and Milan by the end of the year.
Old 03 April 2006, 10:18 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
Still i get to see the world. already been to L.A, Silicon Valley, Chicago, New York, Paris and now Moscow. Will be back in Paris in a few weeks and then will be going to Rome and Milan by the end of the year.
not jealous.... honest!!

Whats the talent like in Moscow by the way? Russia seems to generate a fair few fitties! (thinks of Sharapova..)
Old 03 April 2006, 10:31 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
not jealous.... honest!!

Whats the talent like in Moscow by the way? Russia seems to generate a fair few fitties! (thinks of Sharapova..)
Someone said this to me before i left. Have only been to my Hotel and the office so far but i can already say that's true. Still as i'm married i can only window shop at most.
Old 03 April 2006, 11:49 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Play away. You're in a diff country so it does not count
Old 03 April 2006, 12:28 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

lol. this one's the wife and just having a baby so am really happy with everything. sounds a bit wussy but i love her.

plus she uses this forum. she's always on here so will probably see the thread soon. only way she can tell when i've changed something on the scooby. it's how she keeps track on my spending, lol.
Old 03 April 2006, 12:28 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I visited Moscow on several occasions back in the late 90s. The company I worked for were building 3 food factories in different regions: Novokuznetsk, Saratov and Kamyshin.
When in Moscow we stayed at Hotel Ukraina. You can't miss it as its one of 7 identical buildings and it's huge! I enjoyed many nights there with the ladies in the bar.
The 3 sites I mentioned above were the pits though. Novokuznetsk = the worst place on earth IMO. Drinking water was salty, hotel was awful, food was horrible. I lived on beer, vodka, bread and cheese for a week!

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 03 April 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03 April 2006, 12:46 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

lol. this one's the wife and just having a baby so am really happy with everything. sounds a bit wussy but i love her.
Come on! If a few lovely Sharapova look-a-likes were keening it with you, and were trying to get back to your hotel room for some fun, you wouldnt be able to say no surely?!!

plus she uses this forum. she's always on here so will probably see the thread soon.
Ah gotcha
Old 03 April 2006, 01:46 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I visited Moscow on several occasions back in the late 90s. The company I worked for were building 3 food factories in different regions: Novokuznetsk, Saratov and Kamyshin.
When in Moscow we stayed at Hotel Ukraina. You can't miss it as its one of 7 identical buildings and it's huge! I enjoyed many nights there with the ladies in the bar.
The 3 sites I mentioned above were the pits though. Novokuznetsk = the worst place on earth IMO. Drinking water was salty, hotel was awful, food was horrible. I lived on beer, vodka, bread and cheese for a week!

Nick
sound like some nice places

i guess living on beer, vodka, bread and cheese could be done if i had to. not sure what it was that i ate for lunch but i'm still alive at the moment.
Old 03 April 2006, 01:49 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Come on! If a few lovely Sharapova look-a-likes were keening it with you, and were trying to get back to your hotel room for some fun, you wouldnt be able to say no surely?!!

Ah gotcha
it's be hard (literally) but i'd still have to say no.

not ventured into the bar yet. from what i've heard they all think you're loaded as you're from the uk. sorry people i'm skint and i'm not sticking all your drinks on expenses just to get a rollocking from my boss when i get back.
Old 03 April 2006, 02:00 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

youve just missed the cold weather then, -30 a month or so ago
Old 03 April 2006, 02:14 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

yup. they wanted to send me out here then. i told them where to go and that it could wait until it warmed up. it was only the other week that a shopping centre roof collapsed under the weight of the snow!!
Old 03 April 2006, 02:29 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

we had most of our moscow office over here for a "meeting" at that time....

even they found it too cold, the worst its ever been apparently
Old 03 April 2006, 07:11 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I experienced -25C + wind chill in Saratov. I remember my eyebrows were frozen! Hope you have a Russian hat if you go during peak winter.
Novokuznetsk being in western Siberia drops to -40 in winter. I visited there October '97 and fortunately it was still T-shirt weather.

The guys I was with were all playing up with the women in the hotels and taking full advantage of bending the company expenses. I had no choice but to join them
"Oh Da Da DA!"

Nick
Old 03 April 2006, 07:28 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

I visit Moscow about 6 times a year. I now speak reasonable Russian (and study it). Can honestly say that Russia/Ukraine has the most beautiful women in the world by a wide margin! Try walking down Tverskaya Ulitsa on a Saturday afternoon and you will see what I mean. Also (even if only to look) go to Nightflite bar on Tverskaya any evening from 10pm onwards and look at the calibre of the ladies. Absolutely unparalleled anywhere.
You will also see some amazing cars such as Porsche 959, F40, Maybach etc etc being driven by the new money Oligarchs and their families. They enjoy flaunting their wealth.
Old 03 April 2006, 07:33 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Dave, I've heard of Nightflite. Never made it there though. Only drank in an Irish bar which was local to the hotel. You're not wrong about the women. Not only do they look good but they carry themselves very well - shoulders back etc. Real women I'd say.
Sit in a bar/restaurant over there and your order is delivered so gracefully by a very self-respecting female. Typically in this country, some 17yr old who's had too many late nights will just bang your plate in front of you.

Nick
Old 03 April 2006, 07:37 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Dave, I've heard of Nightflite. Never made it there though. Only drank in an Irish bar which was local to the hotel. You're not wrong about the women. Not only do they look good but they carry themselves very well - shoulders back etc. Real women I'd say.
Sit in a bar/restaurant over there and your order is delivered so gracefully by a very self-respecting female. Typically in this country, some 17yr old who's had too many late nights will just bang your plate in front of you.

Nick
Absolutely right, Nick. The women take immense pride in how they look at all ages if they are at all attractive and as normal salaries are only about $250 to $300 per month, they do an unbelievable job compared to the UK and most other countries.
Old 03 April 2006, 07:40 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

милый, любезный, (Good Afternoon?) from Moscow! Been sent out here with work and have already seen a couple of scoobies, red mica classic wagon and wrc blue bugeye saloon.

Weather's not as cold as i thought it was going to be, about 4 deg c but there's still plenty of snow at the side of the road and on the grass.

прощальный привет, (bye?)
Last 2 words in Cyrillic are OK although most people just say PacA. (written and stressed by me in English.

First 2 words however mean "dearest darling"!!! Best just to say dobray dyen.
Old 03 April 2006, 07:44 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Dave, what line of work are you in? I envy you going there 6 times a year. Do you fly via Germany i.e. Lufthansa flights or direct from Heathrow?

This is where I used to stay

http://www.ukraina-hotel.ru/foto.php

Oh the fond memories. I'd love to go back.

Nick

Edited to say you can change webpage to English on top right corner
Old 03 April 2006, 09:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

4 degrees.... thats warm... i was in st petersburg for work last year, it was snowing in april,,, and didnt get dark in the evenings until 11pm!!

it goes down to -40 up there

intersting place, certainly one to open your eyes!!

Mart
Old 03 April 2006, 09:23 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

dobray dyen isnt that what they say in Czech Rep? Not too sure how that goes down with them seeing as they dont like the Russians
Old 03 April 2006, 11:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't speak Czech but it's perhaps more or less the same as it's Slavic - think of bonjour /?buongiorno etc.

If you can get up to the University, on the south bank of the river, not only will you have a nice view but (if they still do it) you can also see a biker meet, and there may be a few fancy cars there. That was the only place I've ever seen a Lamborghini LM002!
Old 04 April 2006, 03:43 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Dave, what line of work are you in? I envy you going there 6 times a year. Do you fly via Germany i.e. Lufthansa flights or direct from Heathrow?

This is where I used to stay

http://www.ukraina-hotel.ru/foto.php

Oh the fond memories. I'd love to go back.

Nick

Edited to say you can change webpage to English on top right corner

I manage an Oil Service company (Plexus Ocean Systems) which hopefully will supply to Russia in the future as their technology needs expand.
Ukraine Hotel is one of the 7 (I think) Stalin built "wedding cake" buildings which he deemed necessary as Moscow had no high rises to compete with USA, UK , Paris etc.
Most of the major hotels are very expensive and I far prefer to rent an apartment in Tverskaya area.
I normally fly from Aberdeen to Amsterdam and on to Moscow Sheremetyevo.
Am in downtown Moscow by 4pm.
Am going there to see a girl friend in a couple of weeks at the end of a business trip to Singapore,Brunei, Kuala Lumpur, Abu Dhabi and Dubai departing this Sunday.Hope I have some energy left!!