Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UPS/Dell Tw@ts

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2006, 09:52 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPS/Dell Tw@ts

I buy an item from one company, another company is in charge of delivery. It all goes t!ts up, they blame eachother, I get an effin headache and a huge phone bill.

Bought a laptop from Dell, they would only deliver to the address my credit card is registered to so I thought ok, they will probably try to deliver when Im at work so I'll toddle off to the post office the next day to collect it.

No. I get a 'we tried to deliver.....' card thru my door, I phone them up and they tell me they will try to deliver it twice more. I explain that I work all day so whats the point?

They says there's nothing they can do about it. Wont let me pay extra for delivery elsewhere but if i phone my bank and register my work address with them then UPS will deliver the laptop by next Friday. No good to me so I tell them to refund me (this is the polite version by the way).

Finally he suggests I pick it up from the UPS depot. Ok bit of a pain but I do live in the second city so u know, the depot cant be very far.

effin Nuneaton - 2 hour round journey to pick up a laptop that I have paid over £50 quid to have delivered.

WTF is going on when a company will only try to deliver an item during the day when most people are at work, wont deliver to another address - even though delivery is only authenticated by my signature, not the colour of my pissing front door!

Then, I had to endure the usual UPS - oh its Dells fault we have to deal with this all the time. Dell - We dont usually have this problem, it must be the driver.

This laptop could dispense maltesers 24/7 and it wouldnt be worth the effort.

rant over move along please

Last edited by brumdaisy; 30 March 2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:07 PM
ChrisB

WTF is going on when a company will only try to deliver an item during the day when most people are at work, wont deliver to another address - even though delivery is only authenticated by my signature, not the colour of my pissing front door!
It's standard practise for a lot of Internet based companies - deliver the first order only to the credit card address.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:13 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
It's standard practise for a lot of Internet based companies - deliver the first order only to the credit card address.
oi! I came on here to get sympathy not facts
Old 30 March 2006, 10:15 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

what spec of laptop dispenses maltesers all day? Do you have to keep filling them with choccy and stuff?
Old 30 March 2006, 10:21 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
what spec of laptop dispenses maltesers all day? Do you have to keep filling them with choccy and stuff?

oh all girls laptops have been doing it for years... they download them from t'internet overnight
Old 30 March 2006, 10:38 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

When UPS delivered my sons Dell laptop they left it at a neighbours house 3 doors away down the street!!!

I'm not complaining, it saved me having to go to a depot.
Can't you leave a note on your door instructing them to leave it a neigbours? assuming you get on with them and they are at home through the day.

Cheers
MTR
Old 30 March 2006, 10:57 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MTR
When UPS delivered my sons Dell laptop they left it at a neighbours house 3 doors away down the street!!!

I'm not complaining, it saved me having to go to a depot.
Can't you leave a note on your door instructing them to leave it a neigbours? assuming you get on with them and they are at home through the day.

Cheers
MTR
Nah he's at least 112, deaf as a post and takes 3 days to answer the door... I take it they didnt actually have ur permission to leave it 3 doors away?
Old 31 March 2006, 06:32 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Dell do have some very strange ideas about what constitues reasonable customer service; although both my PDA and laptop work well, there's no way I'll buy from them again until there's a major turnaround in that department.

FWIW, all you need to do for next time is call your c/c company and ask to register your office address for this purpose. Then next time, you can just give your billing and delivery addresses both as your office, and the transaction should go through OK. I do this all the time now with 'difficult' suppliers.
Old 31 March 2006, 07:47 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

With Dell, if you order as a business they're much more strict about delivery. If you order as a home users, I think they even deliver weekends
Old 31 March 2006, 08:05 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

just got one from Dell this week, had it delivered to my company address, paid for by my girlfriend.
Old 31 March 2006, 08:23 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

She pays for your office space?
Old 31 March 2006, 09:00 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

The last laptop we ordered from Dell got left in my flippin' wheelie bin!

Still, they are quite forthcoming about where and when they will deliver? Shouldn't have been a surprise to find they will only deliver to a registered address within working hours.
Old 31 March 2006, 09:29 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

I can't undertsand why more internet companies can't do like Amazon and allow you to have the bill delivered to the address that's registered with your CC but have the goods delivered to your work address?

Seems simple enough to me
Old 31 March 2006, 01:22 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
I can't undertsand why more internet companies can't do like Amazon and allow you to have the bill delivered to the address that's registered with your CC but have the goods delivered to your work address?

Seems simple enough to me
Well its one thing to have a £12.99 DVD delivered and go missing and quite another to have £750 worth of laptop go awol.

I know that Dell had great problems with one carrier and in the end any Dell product which was attempted to be delivered from one specified depot had to be returned to a regional hub if first delivery failed. This was because so muchDell kit went missing after the first delivery failed.

Does seem an obvious solution is to get your work address registered with the card. I know that my Dell laptop was delivered hme, and after the first attempted delivery I just got them to redeliver when I knew someone would be in.
Old 31 March 2006, 01:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
I buy an item from one company, another company is in charge of delivery. It all goes t!ts up, they blame eachother, I get an effin headache and a huge phone bill.

Bought a laptop from Dell, they would only deliver to the address my credit card is registered to so I thought ok, they will probably try to deliver when Im at work so I'll toddle off to the post office the next day to collect it.

No. I get a 'we tried to deliver.....' card thru my door, I phone them up and they tell me they will try to deliver it twice more. I explain that I work all day so whats the point?

They says there's nothing they can do about it. Wont let me pay extra for delivery elsewhere but if i phone my bank and register my work address with them then UPS will deliver the laptop by next Friday. No good to me so I tell them to refund me (this is the polite version by the way).

Finally he suggests I pick it up from the UPS depot. Ok bit of a pain but I do live in the second city so u know, the depot cant be very far.

effin Nuneaton - 2 hour round journey to pick up a laptop that I have paid over £50 quid to have delivered.

Then, I had to endure the usual UPS - oh its Dells fault we have to deal with this all the time. Dell - We dont usually have this problem, it must be the driver.

This laptop could dispense maltesers 24/7 and it wouldnt be worth the effort.

rant over move along please
In my experience:

Dell = excellent
Their couriers = ??????

When I ordered my PC, I specifically requested a home call to arrange a delivery time as I was going to be away on holiday. As a precaution, I left a message on my Work phone stating that they should NOT leave a message for me there, but call my home no to arrange delivery.

I heard nothing. I ended up going into work during my holiday and sure enough there was a message on the answer phone... "hello, this is xxxxxx, when would you like your PC delivered?"

When you paying over £1000 for equipment you NEED, the couriers HAVE to have their game together.

Ns04
Old 31 March 2006, 02:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it seems that 'you get what you pay for', with couriers as well as customer service. I seem to recall that Dell have 10,000 or so staff in India, yet despite regular bashings for how poor their customer service has become, they're planning to expand to 20,000.

I guess, therefore, that if they're trying to pay as little for delivery services as they do for customer support, that they're happy to let quality slip there in a big way too.

It's a great shame as my Dell kit is technically excellent, but after it became apparent to me that their Indian call centre staff were ignorant of British consumer law and statutory rights, I'll never buy from them again - at least, not until they get their act together in a big way.
Old 31 March 2006, 02:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by AndyC_772

It's a great shame as my Dell kit is technically excellent, .
Agree completely, my Dell PC has been almost faultless over nearly 6 years -apart from a ****e OEM modem- no big deal, as all 56k connections are going to be ****e anyway! However, I hear of too many probs about customer dervice/delivery issues to buy from them again untill such issues are resolved. Pity!

Ns04
Old 31 March 2006, 02:32 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

I've got an old Dell lappy, and when I was getting a new desktop pc Dell were my first choice.

Then I started talking to them about delivery options (as a home user). Had to be a weekday at my home address and they couldn't even fix a date until a few days before delivery. Saving money on delivery and distribution costs at the expense of my convenience = no customer relationship with me ever again.

So I bought a Sony online on friday afternoon, delivered at 10 am saturday morning.

I always check delivery first now!
Old 31 March 2006, 04:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
I've got an old Dell lappy, and when I was getting a new desktop pc Dell were my first choice.

Then I started talking to them about delivery options (as a home user). Had to be a weekday at my home address and they couldn't even fix a date until a few days before delivery. Saving money on delivery and distribution costs at the expense of my convenience = no customer relationship with me ever again.

So I bought a Sony online on friday afternoon, delivered at 10 am saturday morning.

I always check delivery first now!
I know home users are probably chicken feed to Dell who -i'm sure- have lucrative contracts with many businesses, but they must understand that when you're paying the amounts that a PC costs, you EXPECT good service and -like Jonathan- people will go elsewhere if you have an excellent product but poor delivery and after sales care.

Ns04
Old 31 March 2006, 05:44 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

daisy were you not saying on another thread you worked from home and found it hard to get motivated? , tell the truth now, you were in bed snoring your *** off
Old 31 March 2006, 06:09 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

£50 quid for postage. Did they put it in a stretch limo?
Old 31 March 2006, 06:13 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
oi! I came on here to get sympathy not facts
aww hunn......
Old 31 March 2006, 06:40 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

Why dont you just pop down to your local PC World and ask one of their "experts" to sell you a laptop!
Old 02 April 2006, 01:33 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Warwick-hunt
daisy were you not saying on another thread you worked from home and found it hard to get motivated? , tell the truth now, you were in bed snoring your *** off
no up to friday I was still working -had it been a weekend delivery you might have a point

now Im officially unemployed i dont expect I'll ever get up to have anything delivered
Old 02 April 2006, 01:35 AM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
aww hunn......
still not quite there....
Old 02 April 2006, 07:46 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Dell's customer service cuks sock. Ordered a desktop off them as we get a discount through work. Managed to get the bloke in India to understand what I was on about.......eventually.

Turned up with Business Post looking like the bomb squad had been at the box. Still haven't charged my Switch card though