Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sky hd

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2006, 09:29 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sky hd

just got my e-mail about it but is it worth the £300 for the box and the extra £10 a mth just for half a dozen channels
Old 28 March 2006, 03:41 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

the demo ive seen of HD is really good, but is was a demo so it was designed to highlight it in its best light.....

id wait personally unless you MUST have the HD sport, which i dont, so ill wait. Till the bowling is in hd anyway
Old 28 March 2006, 07:16 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

up
Old 28 March 2006, 07:19 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Had a mail too, but even though I just bought the TV to get the benefit from it, I'm tempted to wait.
£300 + a tenner per month seems a little steep to me, especially when I'll only watch the sport.
Give it 6 months and the price will be £99.........

Crafty that they gauge the level of interest by getting people to register, they can then price accordingly. (not knocking it, fantastic business model and great marketing, you gotta hand it to Sky)
Old 28 March 2006, 07:22 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

thats what i was thinking but you know the kid inside tels you you need it
Old 28 March 2006, 07:25 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Nice to get the new H.D box and be one of first. My money is staying in my pocket for a while yet. There is no doubt there will be deals available later in the year.

Sit tight and wait for the offers.
Old 28 March 2006, 07:29 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevey
thats what i was thinking but you know the kid inside tels you you need it
Dont you start ! I've been convincing myself I dont need it for the last 4 days (since I had the e-mail)

Just booked a holiday on Sunday so its gonna have to wait for another month anyway...........

Although the current sky+ box I have would be a great replacement for the Sky box I currently have in the conservatory.......oh no, I'm starting to justify it again !
Old 28 March 2006, 07:46 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

curently on with building a new garage and i'm trying to convince myself that it dosent really need roof tiles, how sad are we
Old 28 March 2006, 07:57 PM
gogsie
Scooby Regular

Paid my deposit, looking forward to getting my HD box. Saw a demo at Glasgow S&V expo and it's the gizmo. Got a 43" Pioneer Plasma so it should be the dogs. Work away so I justified to the wife by telling her about the massive storage for my Rally and Grand Prix stuff. My mate is normally first with the latest S&V and sky and I have waited and got it cheaper but I'm the big kid this time and it will give him the chance to take the **** about how much I paid.
Old 28 March 2006, 08:50 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Question Is there truth in what the papers have said about HD screens ?

It was reported that the only true HD screen on sale at the moment is the Philips as this screen will display the full HD resolution. My mate has checked his Pioneer & can confirm that it only has half the mega pixels compared to the Philips. Can this be true as I am tempted by the HD from Sky but also need to upgrade my current plasma to something that supports HD.

Anyone heard anything ?
Interested to hear from people in the know
Old 28 March 2006, 08:57 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

what is the philips
Old 28 March 2006, 08:59 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmacterrorist
It was reported that the only true HD screen on sale at the moment is the Philips as this screen will display the full HD resolution. My mate has checked his Pioneer & can confirm that it only has half the mega pixels compared to the Philips. Can this be true as I am tempted by the HD from Sky but also need to upgrade my current plasma to something that supports HD.

Anyone heard anything ?
Having just bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma HD ready TV I too would be interested in knowing the stats

Mog
Old 28 March 2006, 09:01 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

World Cup coming up .. Sky will be going 'All Out' to fill the void.. ...
Old 28 March 2006, 09:01 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

The Philips is a plasma not a tft as far as I know but maybe someone can let us know
Old 28 March 2006, 09:06 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmacterrorist

Anyone heard anything ?
Any tv that has a HDMI connection will be able to support the sky HD box. The typical display resolution of such a screen is 1366 x 768 lines (Horizontal & Vertical) but I am also sure there is a lower screen resolution something like 1076 x ??? lines rings a bell, but this is still a HDMI signal just at a lower resolution.

There is also a different type of HD link on the market an older style of connection called DVI. This is smaller than a HDMI plug but it does not carry the audio like the newer HDMI connection.

All television sets carrying the HD logo in shops now should have the larger HDMI socket on the set, and this will be capable of supporting the rather expensive sky HD set.

Hope this helps.
Old 28 March 2006, 09:10 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

curently on with building a new garage and i'm trying to convince myself that it dosent really need roof tiles, how sad are we
let me help you convince yourself still further...............The summer is on the way so tiles wont be needed till the winter...go on, get signed up for HD
Old 28 March 2006, 09:11 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

I moved from analogue to Sky digital as soon as it came out - I had to pay for the receiver, dish and installation, a few months later this was all free! I'm going to wait 6 months.
Old 28 March 2006, 09:15 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeyN
Any tv that has a HDMI connection will be able to support the sky HD box. The typical display resolution of such a screen is 1366 x 768 lines (Horizontal & Vertical) but I am also sure there is a lower screen resolution something like 1076 x ??? lines rings a bell, but this is still a HDMI signal just at a lower resolution.

There is also a different type of HD link on the market an older style of connection called DVI. This is smaller than a HDMI plug but it does not carry the audio like the newer HDMI connection.

All television sets carrying the HD logo in shops now should have the larger HDMI socket on the set, and this will be capable of supporting the rather expensive sky HD set.

Hope this helps.
sky will be supplying the HD box *WITHOUT* the HDMI leads... NOR will it come with the DVI lead... it WILL come with a boggo standard SCART -LEAD the ONUS is on the CUSTOMER to HAVE THESE LEADS (average £60 a time).... other wise Engineers are instructed to *advise* customers to purchase 'said' leads.. but just to connect with scart that comes in the box....
thought id *share * that with ya
Old 28 March 2006, 09:17 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

if you 'go ' for DVI rather than HDMI .. youll *also * need 'phono' connectors... so MORE BLOODY WIRES hanging from your lovely big tele on the wall.........
Old 28 March 2006, 09:22 PM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
sky will be supplying the HD box *WITHOUT* the HDMI leads... NOR will it come with the DVI lead... it WILL come with a boggo standard SCART -LEAD the ONUS is on the CUSTOMER to HAVE THESE LEADS (average £60 a time).... other wise Engineers are instructed to *advise* customers to purchase 'said' leads.. but just to connect with scart that comes in the box....
thought id *share * that with ya
HD TV will not work through a scart connection though only a HD cable, so there is not much point in purcahsing a new HD TV and the new sky box and setting the system up with a scart cable! As for the price yes they can cost upto £100 + but a standard cable from such a company as keene electronics at a 1m length can cost as little as £20 it just does'nt have extra insullation for the sheething that stops interfierance nor does it have gold plated connections - for standard set ups this would be more than adequate but for longer cable runs and set ups including surround souns systems invest in a more quality cable it is the only choice.
Old 28 March 2006, 09:24 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

only tellin ya as it is, fella.. we asked these questions when we were on the course three weeks ago ..and this is official.. THEY COME WITH A SCART!!!
Old 28 March 2006, 09:25 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

matt whilst we are helping each other out what i suggest you do is cancel the holiday, buy 2 crates of your finest, book 2 weeks of work and then lock your doors, close your curtains, put your feet up and enjoy hd heaven or in the event you cant do this go half's with me and we'll each have a month at a time
Old 28 March 2006, 09:28 PM
stevey
Scooby Regular

so £299 and you dont even get a hdmi lead
Old 28 March 2006, 10:39 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Hope this helps.
From memory . . . .

There are various resolutions of HD TV, rated according to the type of scan (progressive/interlaced) and the number of TV lines resolution (e.g. 720/1080). These are designated e.g. 720p for 720 lines resolution, progressive scan, or 1080i for 1080 lines resolution, interlaced. (do a google if you want to know the difference between interlaced and progressive, as I can't be bothered to type it all in my own words )

Progressive scan should give better picture for a given resolution, the higher the number the higher the definition, "normal definition" TV is effectively 525i I believe. Something being "HD ready" doesn't necessarily mean it can get the benefits from all the HD resolutions

IIRC, sky was going to broadcast in 720p and 1080i.

The Philips referred to is one of the few that supports 1080p pictures - i.e. slightly better than what sky HD will broadcast (initially at least). To get the full benefit of 1080p, you need the lesser number on your screen resolution to be 1080 (or higher) - IIRC it is often 1920*1080. 1366*768 will not give a noticable improvement once the resolution goes beyond 720, screens with even lower resolution (1076*whatever) will probably not display much higher resolution than "normal definition" TV.
Old 28 March 2006, 10:42 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

NOPE!! nada zip nowt zilch zero.... a SCART LEAD....thats your lot.. we were *well impressed* we gotta *install* this PREMIUM piece of kit to some poxy scart lead that wont even allow the kit to work properly.. HOW THE F*** do they JUSTIFY THAT??
Old 29 March 2006, 11:15 AM
MikeyN
Scooby Regular

And hows about this for a price of a HDMI lead, fair enough it is 100m long and the signal has been put along fibre optics but just imagine this expense after purchasing a HD box, with a scart!!!!

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?HDX-100

YES THATS £1195.00
Old 29 March 2006, 12:12 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

My mate sells these on ebay very much cheaper than in the shops. Check it out
Old 29 March 2006, 12:14 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

1080p will be supported by Blu-ray discs when they are available. I think most broadcasts will be 720p because 1080p requires huge bandwidth.

I'm holding out for the 1080p screens to come down in price before I upgrade
Old 29 March 2006, 06:18 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

And hows about this for a price of a HDMI lead, fair enough it is 100m long and the signal has been put along fibre optics but just imagine this expense after purchasing a HD box, with a scart!!!!

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?HDX-100

YES THATS £1195.00
Thats nothing, I remember seeing an audio cable 1m in length costing £8,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 March 2006, 06:58 PM
EXSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

IVE SWITCHED
just waitiung for the install date
guys check your plasmas as some WONT display 720p at 50hz

Quick Reply: sky hd