Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Electricians in?

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2006, 05:00 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Electricians in?

We are buying a new house and the survey stated that the electrical installation was not satisfactory and that a competent electrician should examine the systemand effect rewiring or re-equiping as necassary.

I took my dad round today and he reckoned that it was OK - He was an Electrician up until about 10 - 15 years ago. The wiring is PVC and it is twin and earth. He took a couple of light switches off the wall and commented that they did not have any earths but it was not a major issue as long as the roses had earths if we were using metal fitments. There was a bakelite switch in the garage and two round type sockets where the boiler plugged in.

I contacted a local Electrician and commented on the no earth situation in the light switch boxes and one of his first reactions was to state that maybe we could just rewire the lighting circuits - Even though there may be no earth in the switches do they need rewiring - I know they dont currently compl with the IEE regulations - Is this guy trying to take me for a ride?

Cheers for any info

Stuart
Old 25 March 2006, 05:18 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

you really should have an earth at every accessible point...the switches for instance, say you fit a metal switchplate or dimmer?

you may be able to use the existing cables that are in to pull up new ones.
Old 25 March 2006, 05:34 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bakealite fittings?2pin 15 amp sockets?,sounds like it has not had a rewire in over 60 years
Old 25 March 2006, 07:23 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

when i test any electrical installation if there is no earth in the lights i fail it,usually no earth in the lights points to an old installation which will have other problems like no rcd protection,inadequate earth bonding and old style fittings so the combined problems mean i recommend a rewire.if your doing a lot of upgrade work you may aswell rewire the lot and then not worry about it.
Old 26 March 2006, 12:10 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Rewire or risk your house burning down and insurance telling you to stick it up your nose.