Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody a Pilot ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 07:33 PM
4ndy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody a Pilot ?

thinking about a change of career and Pilot tickles my fancy . Anybody got any info ?
I know that America is the least expensive but unsure what licence is required and if I need my PPL before I look anywhere ...

I know there is a lot of Q's but only testing the water

Prob want to be a fireman 2morrow lol
Old 21 March 2006, 07:47 PM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Not a pilot but I worked for learjet for a while so can shed a little light. In a couple of words....a long, expensive road to follow. 3 main options...

1) learn to fly in the RAF and then transfer into civvy street
2) get on one of the major airlines grad programs
3) stump up the cash yourself

would guess 3 is the option.... before you get to a commercial pilots licence you have to get your ppl and then go multi engine, then move onto jets. chances are if you get through all that you will be flying boxes around for fed-ex before ever setting your eyes on a tidy flight stewardess!

this being said, yes the US is cheaper to learn than in the UK. hwoever, easyjet do a 'put 60k up front, we will train you, if you pass we will give you a job and then pay your 60k back' scheme.
Old 21 March 2006, 08:18 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4ndy
thinking about a change of career and Pilot tickles my fancy . Anybody got any info ?
I know that America is the least expensive but unsure what licence is required and if I need my PPL before I look anywhere ...

I know there is a lot of Q's but only testing the water

Prob want to be a fireman 2morrow lol
Ask that question here www.pprune.org

Lots of pilots and people in the industry there.

Good luck.
Old 21 March 2006, 08:38 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MY00PPP
easyjet do a 'put 60k up front, we will train you, if you pass we will give you a job and then pay your 60k back' scheme.

....however while paying that back, you'll could earn more at Macdonalds! Don't expect the Porsche and 6 figure salary any time soon!

After you have paid your loan back and been a first officer for 10 years, you might get your hands on something a bit bigger.

The lifestyle you want is long haul with major carriers......not sleazy jet and lie n' scare.

Dave
Old 21 March 2006, 08:46 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said, its a long and arduous road, and its pretty much something you've got to want more than anything in the world, or you probably won't stick it.

The thing to think about is what you want to actually do. There are countless commercial pilot job types out there, from crop spraying, to pleasure flight flying, to corporate pilot, to cargo, to commercial.

In reality, if it is the "flying" that does it for you, then jets are pretty dull to fly. They're all procedural computer operation rather than hands on flying in the main.

The corporate side is probably the closest to fun, in that it can be very varied and spur of the moment (if that turns you on). Probably the ultimate pilot job is corporate helicopter pilot, from that respect.

My advice would be to go and get your PPL in fixed wing. Its a fantastic experience, and will get you used to the environment, and provide a deep insight into what to expect. This way, you'll find out if you're likely to stick it and even whether you'll enjoy it.

Good luck.

Simon
Old 21 March 2006, 08:47 PM
farmer boy
Scooby Regular

Don`t we all,as scooby drivers think we ARE already pilots??
Old 21 March 2006, 08:59 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
As said, its a long and arduous road, and its pretty much something you've got to want more than anything in the world, or you probably won't stick it.

The thing to think about is what you want to actually do. There are countless commercial pilot job types out there, from crop spraying, to pleasure flight flying, to corporate pilot, to cargo, to commercial.

In reality, if it is the "flying" that does it for you, then jets are pretty dull to fly. They're all procedural computer operation rather than hands on flying in the main.

The corporate side is probably the closest to fun, in that it can be very varied and spur of the moment (if that turns you on). Probably the ultimate pilot job is corporate helicopter pilot, from that respect.

My advice would be to go and get your PPL in fixed wing. Its a fantastic experience, and will get you used to the environment, and provide a deep insight into what to expect. This way, you'll find out if you're likely to stick it and even whether you'll enjoy it.

Good luck.

Simon
As someone that doesnt know how to fly, but works with commercial pilots on a daily basis, BA, Virgin, United, American etc, none of those has ever said to me that flying jets is "dull". Rest of your post is spot on though.

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2006, 10:23 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

What I'm saying, is that if the actual flying is what does it for you then the actual flying part of flying jets is a bit dull.

In other words, if you yearn for the sensation of controlling an aircraft and feeling the reaction of the airframe through your control inputs, enjoying the freedom of being able to soar over something that takes your interest, enjoying the scenery, and the challenge of map and compass navigation, etc, etc.. then you just don't get these things to the same extent in a jet.. especially long haul commercial.

Flying a fully loaded passenger jet to Sydney could sound like the most fantastic thing on earth to someone just thinking about going into a career as a pilot.. but the reality is half a day of paperwork, an hour of pre-flight checks and procedures, filing flight plans, etc. Then get on the radio to ground and request IFR clearance, taxi in a queue to the runway, set the nav and autopilot up, more checks, more procedures.

Then, go through the take off roll procedures, rotate when your instruments tell you to, get off the ground, put the dunlops away, get a stage or two of flaps out the way, and then switch the autopilot on.

Then for 13 hours or so, you sit there watching everything happen, talk to various ATC's and change headings every now and then. When you get to your destination, you keep adjusting the autopilot under instruction from approach until you're handed over to the tower, sort approach flaps out, dangle the dunlops, and then for the last 60 seconds or so (if you're lucky - almost certianly less, and sometimes zero) you get to take control, but you're already on final and lined up for the runway.

Then taxi to the gates, shut everything down, go through all your shut down checks and proceedures, and then fill out another batch of paperwork before going to your hotel. The only saving grace is you might get to spend the night with one of the hot stewardesses!!

All I'm saying is, this isn't a "majesty of flight" experience in the same way as flying a crop duster, or corporate helicopter pilot. You could argue, it is 13 hours of office work.. you just happen to be in the air.

Not trying to put it down.. just trying to add perpective, as the appearance of glamour and excitement might be for the wrong reasons.

Simon
Old 21 March 2006, 10:40 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 21 March 2006, 10:54 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

You'll need a 'frozen ATPL' to start off - about £60k and 15-18 full time months work. Then you need a job... you could be unemployed for a long time if you don't hit the cycle at the correct moment.

Some employers will pay for your type rating, others make you pay - look at a few grand. The ones that pay for you will probably bond you - leave within 'x' years and you'll pay them back.

Earning... Start on v. low £20's. After 10 years, IF you've got onto one of the big carriers - Virgin, BA etc, you could be earning £70 - £80k. Considering the initial outlay, uncertainty (not the most stable of industries and if you start with a new employer you'll likely be back to the bottom of the pay scale pay) and unsociable aspects of the job (missing the kids birthdays, Christmas, rarely having a weekend off etc), money is not why you'd want to do it.

Talking to my mates, the Webmaster seems to have it right - except he didn't mention the Suduko ;-).

Last edited by Dieseldog; 21 March 2006 at 11:43 PM.
Old 22 March 2006, 12:25 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

When I came out of the service as an experienced helicopter pilot (around 6000 hours then) I looked long and hard at the options open to me.

I saw the choices as quite simple:

1) Glorified bus driver ferrying tourists to and from the Scillies or similar (BA)

2) Glorified bus driver ferrying oil workers to and from rigs (Bristow)

3) Glorified cabby ferrying some self important businessman around

4) Mercenary

5) Other.

Of these, only the last appealed.

Looked at a job in French Guyana (I think) flying a Bell 47 that was older than me and maintained by their truck mechanics over thousands of miles of jungle surveying pipelines. No thanks.

Had an opportunity flying a flouro orange JetRanger for the Kuwait coastguard, looking for the Ayatollah's gunboats. Reason for vacancy - hadn't yet found the previous incumbent or the aircraft. Paid well, though.

Post Desert Storm had an invitation to drop explosives into burning wellheads. That paid well, too.

Since I became a civvy I've flown loads as a consultant for the UK and US military, for a couple of Russian aircraft manufacturers and a few other odds and sods (all legit). I still reckon I made the right choice.

Would I go into it as a civvy from scratch? No way - there's no real flying if you're getting paid well and far, far too many rules.

All in my opinion, of course...

SB
Old 22 March 2006, 07:35 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
What I'm saying, is that if the actual flying is what does it for you then the actual flying part of flying jets is a bit dull.

In other words, if you yearn for the sensation of controlling an aircraft and feeling the reaction of the airframe through your control inputs, enjoying the freedom of being able to soar over something that takes your interest, enjoying the scenery, and the challenge of map and compass navigation, etc, etc.. then you just don't get these things to the same extent in a jet.. especially long haul commercial.

Flying a fully loaded passenger jet to Sydney could sound like the most fantastic thing on earth to someone just thinking about going into a career as a pilot.. but the reality is half a day of paperwork, an hour of pre-flight checks and procedures, filing flight plans, etc. Then get on the radio to ground and request IFR clearance, taxi in a queue to the runway, set the nav and autopilot up, more checks, more procedures.

Then, go through the take off roll procedures, rotate when your instruments tell you to, get off the ground, put the dunlops away, get a stage or two of flaps out the way, and then switch the autopilot on.

Then for 13 hours or so, you sit there watching everything happen, talk to various ATC's and change headings every now and then. When you get to your destination, you keep adjusting the autopilot under instruction from approach until you're handed over to the tower, sort approach flaps out, dangle the dunlops, and then for the last 60 seconds or so (if you're lucky - almost certianly less, and sometimes zero) you get to take control, but you're already on final and lined up for the runway.

Then taxi to the gates, shut everything down, go through all your shut down checks and proceedures, and then fill out another batch of paperwork before going to your hotel. The only saving grace is you might get to spend the night with one of the hot stewardesses!!
Is Microsoft Flight Simulator that realistic now then?
Old 22 March 2006, 09:51 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
As someone that doesnt know how to fly, but works with commercial pilots on a daily basis, BA, Virgin, United, American etc, none of those has ever said to me that flying jets is "dull". Rest of your post is spot on though.
Well, plenty have said the same thing to me and I've completed my fATPL and apart from the money issue the main thing that put me off is the monotony of the whole thing.

This whole issue has been done to do death on here, so I suggest the original poster does a search as I've given plenty of information in the past.
Old 22 March 2006, 03:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is a very expensive business to get yourself a full ATPL from scratch. The easiest way financially was to get RAF training on a short service commission, and then to study for the licences for when you leave the Service. I doubt that option is available now. There may be some sponsored training available from airlines if you are lucky.

I flew for many years in the RAF and would not have missed it for anything. I was lucky enough to fly all types from fighters to large transport aircraft such as the VC 10. I was never bored in any of them.

I think Simon was making it sound a bit worse that it is flying a transport aircraft. The preflight paperwork and planning is not really that painful, most of the flight planning etc is done for you by dispatchers and modern airliners have all the routes preloaded in the aircraft's computers anyway. You soon get your own system going anyway and checking route and fuel planning, and doing the take-off planning is very quick these days. We would arrive at flight planning just over an hour before crewing in and be ready for take-off within 30 minutes quite easily of arrival at the aircraft.

I never found the flying boring even on the longer "flogs" over featureless terrain like deserts or long sea trips. There was plenty to do to occupy you either as operating pilot who does all the flying, if you got fed up of watching the autopilot doing it, you could always fly the aircraft manually for a bit, or non op where you did the radio work etc. The legs were always share and share about in that respect.

The more operational flying on bombing asnd ground attack aircraft such as low level, especially at night and aiming weapons at targets on ranges etc was the cream of the flying of course and that was the reason why I elected to remain in the RAF to enjoy all the fun instead of leaving to become a considerably more highly paid airline pilot.

Whichever you choose, I can thoroughly recommend it

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 22 March 2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 22 March 2006, 03:17 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Les, you're talking about military flying which is a completely different kettle of fish, which if I had my time again would have been the route I'd have gone down but the biggest downers to any civvy career these days are that there are far too many IT types who are more interested in playing with FMCs, very low initial salaries and management treat pilots like **** these days because they can get away with it.

Day in, day out SIDs/STARS, flight planning and fuel management aint that exciting unless you count the occasional go around to liven things up a bit. It's not as if you get the chance to chuck the airframe around a bit, not even when repositioning.

I can see how a career in the military where you do all the interesting stuff would be appealing, even if like Mr.Bradley you stooped to flying rotary rather than fixed wing , followed by a semi-retirement status on big bucks with a major airline would be a good idea, but to go in having paid for all your own training is less than ideal.
Old 30 January 2007, 08:14 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

I held my powered glider pilots licence about 9 months before i could drive. It is easier to fly a plane, than it is to drive a car!

I have flown my fair share of aircraft, and to be honest, it's pretty boring!!!

Aerobatics is fun, but i can't imagine being a commercial jet pilot, to me, it's the most boring job in the world!!!

Get some lessons in light aircraft or powered gliders (gliders with engines: google the vigilant glider).

Bongo.

EDIT: I JUST REALISED THIS THREAD IS LIKE REEEALLY OLD. I FOUND IT IN A SEARCH FOR SOMETHING ELSE AND DIDN'TREALISE IT WAS SO ANCIENT!!! SORRY!

Last edited by X30NGO; 30 January 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 30 January 2007, 09:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I missed it first time round, so thanks !

Was thinking about this the other day.
Old 30 January 2007, 09:21 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I missed it first time round, so thanks !

Me too

Great posts from Leslie and SBradley, fascinating stuff.

More threads like this please
Old 30 January 2007, 09:34 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Hope to God your not a muslim. cant see any flight schools wanting to take you on !!
Old 30 January 2007, 09:37 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Just the $$ stopping me- been quoted circa $45k ish to do it from scratch in the US.
It would be my first choice of career without hesitation.
Just wish I had known that when I was 16 instead of now

Last edited by Freak; 30 January 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 30 January 2007, 10:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I could probably actually go for it in theory, in practice it would be very difficult and being 36 I would be 40 before I was earning again, nice thought but it isnt going to happen, I would **** about too much, if the Captain looked a bit distant I would try to impersonate the ground proximity thing by shouting 'TERRAIN, WHOOP, PULL UP, PULL UP, WHOOP' etc, or getting on the plance and looking bdown the cabin wearing those comedy bottle bottom glasses.
Old 30 January 2007, 10:54 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I could probably actually go for it in theory, in practice it would be very difficult and being 36 I would be 40 before I was earning again, nice thought but it isnt going to happen
My cousin and friend, both of whom are older then me both got into flying airlines in the last 2-3 years - I'm near on 35. So it's not impossible to have a career change, in fact, they have both applied much pressure for me to do same. There appears to be a lot of nepotism in the industry, and they near enough tell me that they could get me a job should I ever decide to take the plunge. However I don't have the time, money or motivation to do it - and the pay is not that good either, well not until you take the left hand seat.

Don't know what others think, but your break in to the industry probably has more to do with who you know rather than what you know.

Also hear a lot about staying in hotels for days on end, on standby bored out your skull.....

If you want to 'fly', go try Ultimate High at Kemble. What sounds even better is doing the Welsh Valleys in a Hunter via Delta Jets from the same airfield.
Old 31 January 2007, 01:59 AM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

my best friend is a tornado navigator, just returned from Al Udeid Air Base where he was flying round for 6 weeks on reconaissance missions. He had orders to seek out dead donkeys at the sides of roads that where being filled with explosives and being booby trapped.

He's 23! Still seems pretty mad to be there in life, at 23 lol.
Old 01 February 2007, 01:27 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Been flying for 10 years now, been flying the "boring" planes as so many people on this thread have said, for 6 years.

Before anything else; the funny thing about this thread is that 98% of the comments were made by non-flying people and 100% of the "boring/non-sense/don't have-a-clue-but-will-talk-bollocks" comments were also by people in that 98% percentile.

Also another fact taken for granted is the pay that "Flying bus drivers" have.
Thankfully it is not bad. What is funny is that most people think it is 100% PK (public knowledge...)and go on about it like they have anything to do with it, which of course they don't.

Anyone wanting to try this line of work should do his own math. It is not something you just decide you want to do. You should have valid reasons because once you start this line of work you don't stop, for obvious £££ reasons, and technical (flying ability/license) reasons.

As far as planning goes, it varies from company to company and before you even start worrying about that there is a very long and arduous road ahead before you even come close to that part of a day to day ATPL routine.

So you need:

Interest,

Money,

Physical and mental ability,

Then:

Get into a college;

Finish course don't fail/get killed;

Get experience small a/c (possibly + ££ for hours, or "fly for free");

Try a major company, don't fail admittance tests;

Take a Type Rating, don't fail;

Then get Line Checked, don't fail;

Then every year don't fail the medicals, or fail the various check rides,

Last but not least work until you 250 years old and keel over the day you retire and get no pension!

Well this post is old but thought it would be good to spread the word!

Old 01 February 2007, 02:19 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Before anything else; the funny thing about this thread is that 98% of the comments were made by non-flying people and 100% of the "boring/non-sense/don't have-a-clue-but-will-talk-bollocks" comments were also by people in that 98% percentile.
Incorrect. See several posts above by 'flying people'.
Old 01 February 2007, 02:22 PM
ScuuBdoo
Scooby Regular

I have a PPL and Im heading over to the USA for 14 months to finish my training. Hope to get into Ryanair when Im back.
Old 01 February 2007, 02:53 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
Incorrect. See several posts above by 'flying people'.

one of them posts is by me. It's not boring like you don't want to be there. It's very interesting, but boring in that, it doesn't make me rush with adrenaline.

Not that i have to justify my own opinions

It's an amazing experience and time in my life i'm glad i went through. But i don't particularly miss flying.
Old 01 February 2007, 03:02 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

I'm only a private pilot, but have spent countless hours sat next to commercial pilots across europe in private jets, and helicopters, and have a lot of pilot friends.

If my posts were one of the "non-flying people spouting bollocks" posts, then I'll simply say "well done still being so enthusiastic. Come back after you've been doing it for 20 years, and maybe the excitement will have worn off "

Nobody here was saying it was the dullest job in the world, we were merely saying "don't think you're going to feel like Tom Cruise every time you take off".
Old 01 February 2007, 07:44 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

No, I read the posts, they were some other remarks made by "ground hogs".

I know what everyone posted, it was obvious by your personal experiences!!!

Top Gun was a Navy recruitment film at the end of the day. There was an article in a mag a while ago.

A lot of people try to hype it up, and have expectations that do not match the real deal.

I say that you just have to go through it to really appreciate the finer aspects of aviation, many of which can only be felt "in situ".

Thanks, don't think I was trying to attack anyone.........

Last edited by Janspeed; 01 February 2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01 February 2007, 07:55 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
Finish course don't fail/get killed;
Set Derring-Do meter to max!

Quick Reply: Anybody a Pilot ?