Car sharing lanes

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2006, 08:32 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sharing lanes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4822808.stm

These pis$ me off, its not like everyone has a next-door-neighbour who works where they do is it? Governments seem to fail to realise this

Also according to the BBC, this new car sharing lane on the M62 will cut rush-hour journeys by eight minutes on average, Single-occupant vehicles would not suffer from additional delays and should also benefit from improved journey times ????!!!

WTF?! How are single occupant cars journey times going to not be affected?!!! There'll be one less lane available which will have the odd car-sharing car in it, and the rest will be choc.

I have a car sharing lane on a duel-carraigeway near me and also is does it cause massive traffic congestion, and congestion spills into nearby villages as traffic queues become massive
Old 20 March 2006, 08:35 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blow up doll time i think
Old 20 March 2006, 08:40 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
How are single occupant cars journey times going to not be affected?!!! There'll be one less lane available which will have the odd car-sharing car in it, and the rest will be choc.
The way I understood it on the news this morning was that the road is to be widened giving an extra lane for the use of multiple occupancy vehicles. Obviously this will slightly reduce volume on the 3 remaining lanes. I do hope that it will be enforced only at peak times (6-9.30 & 4-6.30) though.
Old 20 March 2006, 08:52 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The way I understood it on the news this morning was that the road is to be widened giving an extra lane for the use of multiple occupancy vehicles. Obviously this will slightly reduce volume on the 3 remaining lanes. I do hope that it will be enforced only at peak times (6-9.30 & 4-6.30) though.
Right, handnt realised there was going to be an extra lane. Still pointless, and doesnt aid free-flowing traffic.

Car sharing lanes near me are a disaster, but I think theyre here to stay
Old 20 March 2006, 08:58 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

There'll still be some *** doing 50 in that lane.
Old 20 March 2006, 09:05 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Ah well this is how I see it working, there will be loads more congestion during the building of the extra lane, Everyone will get annoyed, the extra lane will be finished and be used by the few that can atually car share to work (not that many I imagine), and everyone will think that due to the lack of road work the traffic is moving faster and it will be hailed a sucess !
Cynical I know but willing to put money on how this will happen !
Richard
Old 20 March 2006, 09:17 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

1. The theory is that some of the people driving single occupancy vehicles (sov) will club together to use the car sharing lane, thus reducing the total number of vehicles and hence journey times in the multi-occupancy lanes. They must make the sov lane more attractive though or else the scheme will be shown to have failed. 50mph limit except in that lane anyone?

2. Enforcement. Particularly if lane 3 (4?) is the sov lane.

3. Safety implications. If lane 3 (4?) is the sov lane you will have slow vans with two occupants crossing the other lanes then travelling at 60mph in the sov lane, having to be undertaken by faster vehicles. Conversely if lane 1 is the sov lane then most traffic joining or leaving the motorway will have to cross this lane. Imagine if the multi occupancy lanes are congested and you have to cross a clear sov lane to reach them and merge. Can you be fined if you do say 100m before merging. Can see it being a safety nightmare, especially considering the average competency displayed in general motorway driving.

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2006, 09:25 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Well I'll be able to use it if I can find someone who wants to travel from Cowling, N. Yorks to Stanstead Abbotts, Herts on a regular basis but at random times of day and week. Shouldn't be too difficult to find someone I reckon, whaddaya think?
Old 20 March 2006, 09:38 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Car sharing does have its upsides.

It means you stick rigidly to your work hours on the main, with a few exceptions if necessary. Far better for your work/life balance. Noticed this in those who do it here....they HAVE to leave at 5pm to catch their carshare, and to be fair, they still get the work done.

Also, most are NOT neighbours. Some drive to a more central point, and then carshare from there. Makes sense...

...and for some, it is saving ££££££££££'s per week - especially with a Scooby

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Usual ignorant and selfish attitudes on here

Nimbys
Old 20 March 2006, 09:45 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Well I'll be able to use it if I can find someone who wants to travel from Cowling, N. Yorks to Stanstead Abbotts, Herts on a regular basis but at random times of day and week. Shouldn't be too difficult to find someone I reckon, whaddaya think?
Cowling - wow, I used to live near there!!
Old 20 March 2006, 09:51 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I dont think it is selfish or ignorant.

I heard the article as being converting one of the existing 3 lanes - therefore 2 lanes for cars with one occupant and 1 for multiple occupants.

Then there will be millions spent enforcing this, with special cameras or extra police to make sure that it is enforced. If that money was spent on improving the roads and road surfaces orr on giving Police the time, resources to catch proper criminals it would go a very long way. Also once these cameras are in place, whats to say that they dont have additional revenue raising purposes for the Govmnt????

It is a bad idea, period.

Agree with the work hours side of things but most people dont have a person they can share with or work in an office with fixed hours. Life is more flexible than that these days....

Like I said - an opportunity to make life sized replicas passengers
Old 20 March 2006, 09:55 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
IAgree with the work hours side of things but most people dont have a person they can share with or work in an office with fixed hours. Life is more flexible than that these days....
Really? Most offices I know DO work flexible hours. ie, you can arrive and leave at times of your choice. Perfect for car sharing.
Most people DO have a person they can share with - they just don't want the inconvience and are just too darn lazy

Like I said - an opportunity to make life sized replicas passengers
Sorry - solution for that already! The upcoming car sharing at the Forth Bridge has detectors for this
Old 20 March 2006, 09:56 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Can't wait.

I've been car sharing for 4 years on this section of road
Old 20 March 2006, 10:06 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by imlach
Sorry - solution for that already! The upcoming car sharing at the Forth Bridge has detectors for this
It could be an opportunity to hire "Big Issue" salespeople for the day - just have to de-flea the car afterwards

Flexible hours dont mean that everyone there can work the same flexible hours though.
Old 20 March 2006, 10:07 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Flexible hours dont mean that everyone there can work the same flexible hours though.
The majority of the UK workforce work hours that can be adapted to car sharing very easily. Period.
Old 20 March 2006, 10:12 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Have to admit that it has been a few years since I worked for anyone other than myself but isnt this just a case of common sense anyway - car sharing is cheaper - why do we need more enforcement, waste of public money and god knows what else to make us do this?
Old 20 March 2006, 10:16 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Have to admit that it has been a few years since I worked for anyone other than myself but isnt this just a case of common sense anyway - car sharing is cheaper - why do we need more enforcement, waste of public money and god knows what else to make us do this?
..because getting people out of their tin boxes is pretty difficult. Count the number of cars that go past in rush hour with just 1 occupant. It's about 80 or 90%. Sad.
Old 20 March 2006, 10:20 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Theres already a big car share scheme that I know of, its called a coach or a train.

This M1 lane construction thats going to last for a good few years will be a waste of time IMHO. One piddly lane for car sharers isnt going to make much difference. Why not sling up 2 more lanes each way and be done with it. The M1 was built over 40 years ago with 3 lanes and how much traffic was there then? So now with the many thousands of cars that use it today we're still restricted to 3 lanes each way.

The amount of tax motorists pay we should have the best road infrastructure in the world, do we? PMSL
Old 20 March 2006, 10:38 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Never worked for a company yet where this is true (IT in the SE for the last 20+ years) so that's b*llux ......
So if it was bollox, then why do we have such concentrated rush hours? Is it because MOST of the people are going to work at the same time perchance?

And if you have a young kid like me (not yet 2 ) then working *flexible* hours means that you're flexible about when you leave the house due to completely unforeseen issues with laddie - 'sorry mr carshare person but I'll be 20 mins late to pick you up at that freezing meeting point we use because my kids having a bad morning ...' I don't think so ....
S'funny, cos most of the people car sharing here ARE the ones with young kids. Maybe you're just incapable
Old 20 March 2006, 11:02 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
But from different places to go to different places - in the main. Car sharing will have minimal impact on congestion.
I don't believe the 'in the main' bit.

People generally live in surburbia (both cities and commuter towns) and work in large congregated areas of offices. There is NO way there are not people driving to/from similar places en masse. Just needs co-ordination.

Refund road tax to car sharers, and you'd soon see people clubbing together
Old 20 March 2006, 11:18 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

As already mentioned, there are dedicated car sharing services. See your local train/coach station for details
Old 20 March 2006, 11:19 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If you're only going to save 8 minutes, you're more likely to spend longer than that picking someone up or dropping them off.
Old 20 March 2006, 11:27 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
Also, most are NOT neighbours. Some drive to a more central point, and then carshare from there. Makes sense...

...and for some, it is saving ££££££££££'s per week - especially with a Scooby

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Usual ignorant and selfish attitudes on here
I used to be part of the 3-way car share for my old job (saved me £100's per year in fuel, and kept down the car mileage), but with my new job nobody who works in my office lives anywhere near me, so I cant car share

Also the point is the fuel saving is enough of an incentive to car share, meaning the incentive of a car-sharing lane ISNT required.
Old 20 March 2006, 11:48 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

**** me !!!

I work around the country, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, London, Rickmansworth etc etc so I am going to be penalised because I haven’t got a passenger.

Not everyone works 5 mins from home and has various neighbours who can car share.

I have yet to find a band of people who start and finish work at the same time as me and in the various locations.

What am I supposed to do?? Pick up some random stranger??

The one on the M62 will be a right laugh as well, its FUBAR any way.
Sure all those nice lorry drivers are going to give up the crawler lane ……. I don’t think so.

What constitutes a passenger? Have we had primary legislation on it ?
Could be interesting to see some of the offerings !!
Old 20 March 2006, 11:52 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

How are you going to be penalised? You just aren't going to be rewarded..
Old 20 March 2006, 11:57 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Take away a lane for the general population, give it to a minority and hey presto.
In the case of the M62 4 lanes of traffic congestion stuffed in to 3 makes good sense eh !
Old 20 March 2006, 11:59 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
As already mentioned, there are dedicated car sharing services. See your local train/coach station for details
Yep that would work for me. 2 buses, and 2 trains every day there, and the same back again

If they do lane sharing or not I'll still drive......it quicker, cheaper, and easier.
Old 20 March 2006, 12:00 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

My mistake, when I read it i saw that they were widening it, which i took to mean for the extra lane. Not just making it wider.

Quick Reply: Car sharing lanes