Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Falling Man

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2006, 09:57 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The Falling Man

Good program so far. I still can't watch the planes crashing into the twin towers or the images of people jumping without crying. I'm not a national-mourner that gets upset every time someone remotely important dies or is killed. I seldom go out of my way to observe minute silences and I suppose many might regard me as almost heartless, paying little regard to stories of our troops giving their lives for a debatable cause in Iraq, etc.

But 9/11 is different somehow. At my core I'm a caring person and the images cut so deep they hit raw nerves. So many normal (for American’s ) day-to-day people hurt or killed needlessly. So many people faced with choosing which way to die with no way of avoiding that choice. So many people forced to send that final text or make that final phone call. Yeah. That gets even me!

The falling man photo is amazing though. There is something so peaceful about it and yet so tragic. Personally I feel this is a man that knew he could burn to a painful death or die the instant he hit the ground. Looking at the picture I see a man that decided he wanted his last few moments to be free. In the air and free - even if just for a few seconds. I expect many people jumped that day and screamed the whole way down probably dying of shock halfway yet somehow I believe this man was at peace. I believe this man, as strange as it may seem, enjoyed that short freedom.

I admire that composure and acceptance a lot.
Old 16 March 2006, 09:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Oooh, more pics and maybe not who they thought it was....
Old 16 March 2006, 09:59 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

200 jumped it said earlier...

Doesnt bother me in the slightest seeing images like that, dunno why, maybe I just dont really think about it. From what Ive read and heard before he would have been unconcious before he even hit the ground so he wouldnt have felt any pain at all....
Old 16 March 2006, 09:59 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Forgot this was on
Old 16 March 2006, 10:00 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Good program so far. I still can't watch the planes crashing into the twin towers or the images of people jumping without crying. I'm not a national-mourner that gets upset every time someone remotely important dies or is killed. I seldom go out of my way to observe minute silences and I suppose many might regard me as almost heartless, paying little regard to stories of our troops giving their lives for a debatable cause in Iraq, etc.

But 9/11 is different somehow. At my core I'm a caring person and the images cut so deep they hit raw nerves. So many normal (for American’s ) day-to-day people hurt or killed needlessly. So many people faced with choosing which way to die with no way of avoiding that choice. So many people forced to send that final text or make that final phone call. Yeah. That gets even me!

The falling man photo is amazing though. There is something so peaceful about it and yet so tragic. Personally I feel this is a man that knew he could burn to a painful death or die the instant he hit the ground. Looking at the picture I see a man that decided he wanted his last few moments to be free. In the air and free - even if just for a few seconds. I expect many people jumped that day and screamed the whole way down probably dying of shock halfway yet somehow I believe this man was at peace. I believe this man, as strange as it may seem, enjoyed that short freedom.

For a start, it was not just Americans that were killed/maimed
Old 16 March 2006, 10:01 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

<sigh> does that really need to be said? I bet you sue when your children get a splinter
Old 16 March 2006, 10:03 PM
Ted Maul
Scooby Regular

although I can understand that the sentiment you described is a nice way to think they did this, I feel that there was no choice, just instinct of the human body to evade the fire as it got too hot to bear. I feel that the jumpers jumped at the last possible moment because they had to.

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2006, 10:04 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

<sigh> does that really need to be said? I bet you sue when your children get a splinter
Did you loose anyone in it you dick !

Rob
Old 16 March 2006, 10:06 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Did you loose anyone in it you dick !

Rob
FFS, hes said he feels bad about it all etc etc. Not exactly mocking it is he so no need to call him names. Ger off your high horse, Im sure we all feel for those who died or lost loved ones no matter what their origins were.
Old 16 March 2006, 10:08 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

No I didn't. And if you did then that does NOT give you the right to judge me, insult me or criticise me.

You nit-picked at my genuine post making a victim of yourself wallowing, it seems to me, in feeling of self pity. Perhaps you should celebrate the life of your loved one than attacking people you hardly no and channeling your negative emotions in that manner.

I'll bet you are angry and ready to fire back a post. STOP. Think about what I'm saying to you. I'm not angry, I'm rational right now...
Old 16 March 2006, 10:21 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

i forgot this was on until i saw you post Saxo, puts a lump in my throat too, i remember watching it happen live in a pub with about 200 other people in the square mile of London. Peoples faces that day will live with me forever.

Old 16 March 2006, 10:26 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Well, I am not ashamed to admit, I cried
Old 16 March 2006, 10:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

It's strange how you can always remember exactly where you were when news of such things unfold. I remember is was a nice hot day and I was out on site in my VTS enjoying the roads and listening to the radio about the plane 'accident' when the news of the 2nd tower came through!
Old 16 March 2006, 10:35 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

Indeed your right, i'd just left a meeting when someone mentioned about the first one, the internet was choca, so i went to find out on skynews at a bar across the road, i turned the corner and there was a huge crowd of silent faced people just staring in disbelief at the screens. Saw the 2nd one hit whilst i was there
Old 16 March 2006, 10:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never let us forget that this was the day that changed the world ......

And never forget that this was the day that Islamic Terrorsits declared war upon Christians and the free world ...............

Pete
Old 16 March 2006, 10:48 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I was in Brussells when it all happened, had to stay an extra couple of nights with the flights being delayed and cancelled. Remember it all very clearly.
Old 16 March 2006, 11:19 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid the content of that program made me a bit angry tonight - especially the bit where the jouno called the coroner, only to be told 'No-one jumped'.
The only people who know, REALLY know, what went on in that building are the people who aren't here to tell us.
Surely there should be no religion, faith, whatever that can judge the decision those people made on that day. Any choice those people had was horific and i only hope no-one ever has to face such decisions on such a massive scale again.
Old 17 March 2006, 12:12 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I will never forget that day..sitting at my desk listining to brokers on direct voice lines that were in the building.

Rest in peace all.............................
Old 17 March 2006, 12:21 AM
rob878
Scooby Regular

i remember getting up in a saudi air force base with my mate telling me that a light aircraft (how wrong he was) had crashed into one of the towers, so me and the lads in the block sat and watched CNN and had a massive shock when we saw the other one hit. I dashed off rang the missus to let her know she might not hear from me for a while, and came back to be told that the pentagon had been hit. to which i responded "yeah right", which was soon followed by "oh right it has.............bugger"

We had to days off work, before my first taste of air power. Not even gulf war 2 matched watching the yanks taxi past, as we waited to see our jets off. The only way i can decribe it was like watching the school bully steaming past you to get at some kid who had upst him. 4 hours later they all came back with not a bomb between them. Which was sobering, even more sobering was listening to our aircrew telling how the amount of airpower that hit the Euphrates area was biblical in it's power.
Old 17 March 2006, 12:27 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

that was a day that none should forget .(and i dont think for one moment many will) it was and is still a 'defining' moment in shaping the world.
i can still remember that day vividly and surreally because thats what it was, a vivid, yet surreal day with the world watching events unfolding thinking this cannot be happening, yet it was right in front of our eyes , on every media possible...

God rest those innocents...whom-ever they were...
Old 17 March 2006, 12:47 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Excellent programme and a well told story of a tragic series of events.

Saxo Boy - excellent post - a great share.

Rannoch
Old 17 March 2006, 08:15 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah it was a good program....and yes I am just amazed every time I see the images.

I am upset that these images cause me more concern that the images of the African famine
Old 17 March 2006, 01:04 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Yeah it was a good program....and yes I am just amazed every time I see the images.

I am upset that these images cause me more concern that the images of the African famine
They should cause more concern, Falling Man was horrific images of a situation that had been thrust upon innocent people, who had no options, and couldnt do anything about it.

Whereas images of famine depict a people who have overpopulated their lands, never learnt basic skills of farming, and have been looked after so long by the West they now need constant nursing.
They have a choice, and even an ant, with its pin sized brain, manages to make decisions that usually result in its survival, whereas these people are incapable of doing so.
Nature is harsh and cruel, and any living thing that is unable to support itself, dies. Or at least, thats how it should be. For all our interference, keeping people alive etc, nothings improved, nor will it, and the people that are still what id loosely term "alive" through the gift of medicines, are terribly unhappy.

9/11 was an act of violence and terror on people in a situation we (most of us) can relate to, people who simply went to work in the morning, and ended up having to decide whether to burn to death, or jump from a 106th floor window, absolutely terrifying.

There are lots of terrible things that happen in the world, but the ones that will have the greatest affect on a person, are the ones we can relate to personally. I guess a lot of us have girlfriends, friends, family that work in offices, and when the people who lost someone described the calls and texts, it hit home like a ton of bricks.
Old 17 March 2006, 04:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Bob,
Do you not think their was a reason why 9/11 happened?

The actual images didnt affect me at all. I personally feel more when seeing things like the little starving kids in Africa rather than what happened in New York. Must have been terrible for anyone who had family in there though seeing it all live on TV.

Chip

Last edited by Chip; 17 March 2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 17 March 2006, 04:32 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Watched it last night. Certainly put a few things into perspective.
Old 17 March 2006, 05:53 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Got to be honest I'm more like Sideshow and I find his point on why these countries are starving quite interesting. I can certainly accept that nature has its way and not excercising control, etc creates problems.
Old 17 March 2006, 07:45 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I have this recorded on my PVR. I can do a DVD of it if anyone want's to watch it.
Old 17 March 2006, 08:51 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Nimbus
I have this recorded on my PVR. I can do a DVD of it if anyone want's to watch it.
i work nights, so i didn't get to see it, will pm you my details if you would copy it for me.

When 9/11 happened i was still asleep unaware of the tragedy that was happening when i eventually got up i thought it was a big joke being done on the radio, but my smiles soon turned to disbelief when i turned on the telly.
Old 17 March 2006, 09:20 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Missed that one. I noticed it in the listings but wasnt it on channel5? I assumed it would be a bit morbid and a typical channel5 programme like "top 10 fatal car crashes" sort of thing.

I remember seeing the people jumping live and it was pretty shocking. I also remember being very pissed off when it showed all the celebrations in muslim countries as 9/11 was still happening - sweets being thrown into the air for kids to get etc

Quick Reply: The Falling Man