Social work

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2006, 08:09 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Social work

Basically, the g/f wants a career move!

She's interested in social work, but, does not have a relevant degree. Anybody have any ideas what to do? She doesn't want to go back to Uni for 3 years again, we can't afford it!!! Can she do any other 1 year course or something to gain a relevant qualification?

Anybody with experience????????
Old 16 March 2006, 08:37 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I can't really help with a magic answer, but I work in the careers industry, working with younger people. We use http://www.fasttomato.co.uk/ as a resource. It may not be for her age, but will give you an idea.

We also have a programme which will list how to get into a certain career. If you want me to look it up tomorrow, I will. Just let me know.

Just as an afterthought, what about her trying volunteering in a youth club or similar type organisation. Companies always want relevant experience even if it is unpaid.

Oh, and don't expect her to become a millionnaire doing social work....
Old 16 March 2006, 08:49 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Connexions Direct Website
Field social workers help and support people during difficult times in their lives.
With other professionals, they try to help clients find solutions to their problems. Social workers develop relationships with them, and their families and friends, and gain their confidence.
They may work with children and families, adoption and fostering, in healthcare settings or in mental health social work.
Social workers usually work irregular days and hours, often on a rota, to provide 24-hour cover, or normal office hours in medical settings. Their time is split between the office, clients' homes, day centres, hospitals and health centres, and they need to travel around.

Salaries start from £15,000, and senior social workers earn up to £28,000.

Field social workers should:

be committed to helping people overcome their difficulties
develop trusting, professional relationships with clients
be patient, resilient and mature
be good speakers and listeners
have good management and organisational skills.
There are about 26,000 qualified field social workers in the UK, and the number is growing. Employers include statutory organisations, such as social services and social work departments, private organisations, and voluntary organisations such as the NSPCC.

Social workers need either a degree in social work or a Diploma in Social Work (DipSW). Both combine academic learning and practical work experience.

An employment-based route to the DipSW is available for people working full time as unqualified social workers for social services organisations.

There is a well-defined career structure leading to senior social worker.
HTH
Clare
Old 16 March 2006, 09:03 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Imagine the most depressing, soul destroying, under resourced and unrecognised career in the world then multiply by 100 and you have social work - some might say that describes any job in local government lol

Most local authorities' social services departments have the highest record of sickness (especially long term) across the whole authority.

Dont get me wrong, there's a lot of people that do it and wouldnt change their job for anything but its not a choice for the faint hearted.

Oh and my mate has been doing it for around 10 years, has all the qualifications (and gets poo thrown at her on regular occasions) and she gets paid 25k for the pleasure!

Oh and a degree is just the start of many qualifications you have to work thru to work your way up.

all that said good luck to her!
Old 17 March 2006, 08:15 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Best not tell her that!!! Thanks for the replies people!! She's contacting a few Unis for the courses on offer!! Thanks again!!
Old 17 March 2006, 09:42 PM
John Catlin
Scooby Regular

|I hope she finds what she would loike to do and enjoy it.

All the best to her.
Old 18 March 2006, 08:43 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

It used to be a Dip SW but I think that has now changed to a degree. My gf left work to go back to uni and got the diploma (Took 2 years). She has been doing social work for about 3 years and everyone is right about it bieng a thankless underpaid task, She packed her job in last November but due to cash issues she has had to go back to work but self employed contracting social work were she gets £20 an hour which isn't bad and at the end of the day if she has a 3 month contract then its a 3 month contract she can walk away from all the politics that go with the job.

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2006, 09:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

My brother-in-law is a social worker and some of the stories he tells are hard to believe. His boss has literally been known to crawl around his office holding his head in tears because of the stress (I can't get a John Cleese. image out of my mind).

Please go into it with your/g/f's eyes wide open. Good luck if she does go for it. dl