Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Someone please explain why Truckers do this!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2006, 08:01 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please explain why Truckers do this!!

Coming home today, 600+ yards from a normal dual lane convergance, some prat in a truck thinks it's cool to straddle the lanes and hold up the cars behind.

WHY?

I see this all the time on the motorways. WHY? What's the point? We're going to converge anyway, but now with slow moving and bunched up traffic..

What's with it with the idiots? I flashed, I shook my head I ranted an raved, but this prat just sat there thinking he was cool and doing everyone a service.. But now we've got convergence 600 yards back across some lights where traffic are going to be stationary and slow over a major crossing..

Truckers.. stop doing it... OK? It's pointless and adds more danger and inconvenience...

Numpties.

Rant over.
Old 14 March 2006, 08:19 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Obviously haven't read the part in the Highway Code about merging in turn...

Reminds me of the super-twonk this evening who refused to move from the outside lane when I was clearly going faster and wanting past. It was even safe for him to move over in plenty of time. Spent his time speeding up in the gaps and slowing down to try and match the traffic He then yanks his brakes on hard 200 yards from the roadworks on the M11 and thinks it was funny to match the speed of the innocent car on the inside lane all through the contra-flow.

Where does he get his little mind from? Same place as that trucker I guess

Leastways out of the roadworks and I somehow find myself past him and his eyeballs are popping...

Idiot
Old 14 March 2006, 08:29 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would suggest he does it to stop the waxnkers who even when everyone else has moved into one lane has to pass everyone, often in the central reservation, on the grass or by what ever means to get to the front of the queue before he cuts infront of every last car possible almost taking out the cones ........

Gary ------- coming to an outside lane at 5mph near you soon
Old 14 March 2006, 08:34 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

They are the kings of the road, didnt you know?

Not fair to tar them all with the same brush, but there are a fair few that are complete ******, as per the original post.

Unlike minicab drivers, they are ALL complete ******
Old 14 March 2006, 08:39 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I would suggest he does it to stop the waxnkers who even when everyone else has moved into one lane has to pass everyone, often in the central reservation, on the grass or by what ever means to get to the front of the queue before he cuts infront of every last car possible almost taking out the cones ........

Gary ------- coming to an outside lane at 5mph near you soon
So if you are immediately behind said waxnker then you are not a waxnker as not everyone else has moved into one lane. What's wrong with (as PTMW ,The Highway code, The IAM and, refreshingly, recently signs at some roadworks say ) "Merge In Turn".

I had a long thread on here about a year ago on this very subject, and I expect the normal accusations of queue jumping etc., but surely this has got to be the msot efficient way of dealung with this situation rather than the ridiculous situation of a single lane of traffic extending back a mile or more from the convergence, and yes I have seen this
Old 14 March 2006, 08:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is simply to stop the selfish *******s who drive to the very point of convergence and push in, when everyone else has filtered before hand ... and WELL DONE TRUCKERS!!!

However, if everyone filtered at the end of the lane in turn it would begin to be seen as acceptable ......... if I pull in with say 100 yards to go and some **** races down the outside to push in I will drive out to block - the car on the left sees what I have done and maintains my gap

Its usually BMWs and they are universally hated for some reason, so every one claps when they get caught .........

Pete
Old 14 March 2006, 08:45 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

Maybe he just got distracted thinking about his next axe murder, and simply drifted across the lane.

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2006, 08:54 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
It is simply to stop the selfish *******s who drive to the very point of convergence and push in, when everyone else has filtered before hand ... and WELL DONE TRUCKERS!!!

However, if everyone filtered at the end of the lane in turn it would begin to be seen as acceptable ......... if I pull in with say 100 yards to go and some **** races down the outside to push in I will drive out to block - the car on the left sees what I have done and maintains my gap

Its usually BMWs and they are universally hated for some reason, so every one claps when they get caught .........

Pete
Just about sums up my comment I think ....
Old 14 March 2006, 08:55 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

However, if everyone filtered at the end of the lane in turn it would begin to be seen as acceptable
I had a beauty, yesterday evening, a broken down car in the outside lane, just at the point of convergence, so I actually lost out big time in terms of "pushing in". There were plenty of signs saying merge in turn, but that didn't stop the stupid woman who I was more of less parallel with in the inside lane making damn sure there wasn't the slightest chance of me "pushing in". It was actually quite funny she almost rammed the car in front a couple of times

Why can't we all just be reasnoble and behave sensibly, fortunately I think that we are heading that way slowly.
Old 14 March 2006, 09:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RJMS
Why can't we all just be reasnoble and behave sensibly, fortunately I think that we are heading that way slowly.
You are acting selfishly in the eyes of those who have allready filtered ....

It's about time we used both lanes for as long as possible and took turns in the filter ... thats why there are two lanes ...

But, you run the risk of severe road rage if you push in and face a smacking given the wrong type of person you try to push in front of!!

Pete
Old 14 March 2006, 09:10 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

if I pull in with say 100 yards to go and some **** races down the outside to push in I will drive out to block - the car on the left sees what I have done and maintains my gap
i wouldnt maintain anyones gap for being such a petty prat and would hope you got your car wrote of for doing such silly things, there is no such thing as queue jumping in this situation as there is only a queue formed by people who dont know the highway code and think that because they have waited someone cant drive past them being 100% in the right
Old 14 March 2006, 09:17 PM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

PSL has it spot on in this thread....
Old 14 March 2006, 09:30 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

If the law was merge in turn, how would all the people who race down the outside feel if there were 40 artics on the inside, they would soon want to get back in their lane as that queue would be moving MUCH faster

Truckers are restricted to 55mph and it takes long enough to get from A-B as it is without all these selfish ******* flying past and diving in the front making the trucks queueing time even longer

Keep it up truckers and I will always maintain your gap
Old 14 March 2006, 09:38 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Sorry Al, I beg to differ on this one. One of my pet hates, is to**ers that go down the o/s lane when they were warned a mile back of the lane closure. It irritates me no end, that some tw!t in his 5 series, thinks he has priority over me. Go on the truckers, I say. I do it, in my scoob as well. Cover two lanes so noone can pass on either side. If the rest of us can wait, so can you IMO. Traffic would flow more freely if everyone had some manners
Old 14 March 2006, 09:42 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I see this nearly everyday!

Lane closed in 1 mile, people immediatly move over???

Then there is an empty lane three (or whatever lane it is) for 500 yards

I continue to near the end of the lane and merge at the front
Old 14 March 2006, 09:46 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by steffiraf
Cover two lanes so noone can pass on either side. If the rest of us can wait, so can you IMO. Traffic would flow more freely if everyone had some manners
Prepared to get rammed by my van if you pull out in front of me!
Old 14 March 2006, 09:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The drivers who queue way too early are the problem. On roads other than motorways were you might join from a roundabout, you find you have no choice other than to be in the outside lane wanting to filter in. You can still get treated as though you are trying to queue jump, although occassionally you do come across a driver using his/her brain who lets you in.

The British love to queue and fail to see it can be unnecessary if filtering is done properly.
Old 14 March 2006, 09:49 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

c,mon the truckers ,stopping the ignorant ***** in their tracks.

Last edited by Trucker Ted; 14 March 2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 14 March 2006, 09:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trucker Ted
And it ***** like you that upset everyone else!!
With an intelligent reponse like that it's no wonder it occurs.
Old 14 March 2006, 09:51 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Thats not nice calling spoon a ****,

Language like that shouldnt be used on these boards

Old 14 March 2006, 09:57 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

As a Highways Agency traffic planner once said "If I wanted the traffic to merge 600 yards before the cones, I'd have moved the cones up 600 yards"
Old 14 March 2006, 09:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Thats not nice calling spoon a ****,

Language like that shouldnt be used on these boards

Yes, and his edit was quicker than his truck.
Old 14 March 2006, 09:58 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Prepared to get rammed by my van if you pull out in front of me!
Bring it on!
Old 14 March 2006, 10:00 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Sorry Al, I beg to differ on this one. One of my pet hates, is to**ers that go down the o/s lane when they were warned a mile back of the lane closure. It irritates me no end, that some tw!t in his 5 series, thinks he has priority over me. Go on the truckers, I say. I do it, in my scoob as well. Cover two lanes so noone can pass on either side. If the rest of us can wait, so can you IMO. Traffic would flow more freely if everyone had some manners

I think you're wrong. It's your choice to get in lane far too early, and I'm sure it derives from a very English sense of good manners. However, I'm sure the people that plan these merge points dont expect drivers to travel as single-lane traffic for half a mile previously.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:01 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Bring it on!
Give me a brief description of your car and I will do my best, I would like to upgrade my sprinter to one of the newer models and as it would be your fault I can claim on your insurance

I'm sure I will have plenty of witnesses that will back me up
Old 14 March 2006, 10:02 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

My original post was aimed at scooby soon , and his **** driving style ,it just so happened that someone else posted as i was typing!!!

No Offence meant to Spoon!!

Offence meant to scooby soon
Old 14 March 2006, 10:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

To put the problem to bed the road markings should give a more consise description of where and when they want you to merge.
At the moment all you get is "50 in 3/4mile"
then the "50 Limit"
then the 600yds marker starts...
Would it not be better to have "start merging now" at the 600 yds marker.
Then you CANT have people blocking you because the sign's "telling me to get in, so feckin let me in"
Admittedly it's a bit of a "sheep herding principle" but I really think it's needed for some people.
Everyone knows where they stand then, "Merge Here"..not before, not after.

Andy
Old 14 March 2006, 10:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Its usually BMWs and they are universally hated for some reason, so every one claps when they get caught
You clearly do not understand how superior a BMW is. These masterpieces of German engineering really are the "Ultimate Driving Machine", and even my 116i could overtake in a tenth of this distance. However, there is rarely the need to demonstrate this superiority since the outside lane is really the BMW lane. You do not belong in it. Our piercing Xenon headlights are there to remind you of this fact
Old 14 March 2006, 10:12 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trucker Ted
My original post was aimed at scooby soon , and his **** driving style ,it just so happened that someone else posted as i was typing!!!

No Offence meant to Spoon!!

Offence meant to scooby soon
Even if it was aimed at me Ted I take no offence. Different opinions are just that, however expressed.

Getting wound up on a bbs is for the youngsters or the insecure.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:12 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I think you're wrong. It's your choice to get in lane far too early, and I'm sure it derives from a very English sense of good manners. However, I'm sure the people that plan these merge points dont expect drivers to travel as single-lane traffic for half a mile previously.
The planners, make a point of telling everyone 3 miles prior, then 1 mile prior that a lane is closing, do they not? If everyone filtered in as they should, when there is plenty of room, then traffic would flow freely. The ***** that think they have the god given right, over everyone else, just end up slowing down everyone else, in their urge to get 10 cars in front. What does it matter? Do you go to a supermarket and barge into a gap between trolleys and expect to be let in? No, you dont, so why is it any different?

Quick Reply: Someone please explain why Truckers do this!!