Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do we really need or want to know?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 06:13 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Do we really need or want to know?

I was watching the news last night and they were talking about a couple that are getting banged up for severe cruelty to their baby. They then went on to describe how the 'father' held the baby against a gas fire for 10 seconds!

Is it me or are there more news items like this turning up these days? There was another one earlier in the week about a son who stabbed his parents to death and then went to a rock concert.

It's all very sensationalist but do we really want to know about these things? If there is a dangerous killer on the loose then I can understand the need to know. But all these horror stories about people that you've never met and won't meet because they are going to prison just make me depressed and give a very skewed view of the world.

So in summary, I don't want to hear horrible stories unless it could effect me or lots and lots of other people. Do you agree or disagree?
Old 25 February 2006, 06:36 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

I agree.

In this case it's worse coz it's a baby. I think it's worse when they are kids, and I'm a father of two which just increases the horror of it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to get off on the details don't they?

You are right, if we need to know tell us. Otherwise just say he was cruel and got life. By that sentence I think we can gather it was pretty awful?
Old 25 February 2006, 07:26 PM
philc
Scooby Regular

just thinking the other day about the same topic ...... don't think the world has got any worse, just think the competition between the TV channels has made for presentation of more 'sick' stories - and dwelling on them longer.

Got so revolted a while back I have stoppped watching tv news and resorted to the newspaper - where I can read the headlines and then pick and choose which articles I wish to read in full. With TV I don't get that choice; have to watch / listen every drawn-out graphic detail about the sickos of world.
Old 25 February 2006, 08:17 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Problem is nowadays we've all been exposed to terrible things on news, horror movies etc so to get a reaction they have to be more explicit/shocking.
Its a sad old world sometimes.
Old 25 February 2006, 08:25 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The only good thing is that people in prison will know what he's done!
Old 26 February 2006, 10:14 AM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
The only good thing is that people in prison will know what he's done!
Good point! There's probably a man in prison with his face pressed against a hot radiator as we speak.

But I don't understand why TV news departments think we'll watch them more because they tell us about what these sickos have done. Do they think we are all potential sickos?
Old 26 February 2006, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

By the same token, if you hush these things up, then it is more likely that it will happen again. Best publicised with the details of the swingeing penalty that went with it. Might even pull the PC dictators down a peg or two!

Les
Old 26 February 2006, 12:05 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blubs
I agree.

In this case it's worse coz it's a baby. I think it's worse when they are kids, and I'm a father of two which just increases the horror of it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to get off on the details don't they?

You are right, if we need to know tell us. Otherwise just say he was cruel and got life. By that sentence I think we can gather it was pretty awful?
I feel exactly this way for the same reason.
Old 26 February 2006, 12:08 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

the world , in general nowadays is so much more *open* than in bygone times... dont think its the 'world' in itself thats changed ..i.e. level of nutters around.. its just that we get so much media 'intrusion' in one form or another nowadays....
Old 26 February 2006, 12:38 PM
King RA
BANNED

I completely agree. An article in the paper recently went into detail about how those girls were tortured before one of them was killed. I couldn't stop thinking about it all day, and made me feel pretty crappy.

I think a piece about it was necessary but we really didn't need to know details like that.
Old 28 February 2006, 12:34 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes I do agree that the graphic details of the case are unecessary, but the seriousness of it should still be apparent.

Les