Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Assessment centre help/advice sought

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 06:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assessment centre help/advice sought

Hi There,

Anyone have any tips from personal experience/knowledge of how to succeed at assessment centres for employment?

Failing that, does anyone know of any useful links....have any spare money they wouldn't mind me using as a little bribe?

Best wishes,

NS04
Old 01 February 2006, 11:21 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hi There,

Anyone have any tips from personal experience/knowledge of how to succeed at assessment centres for employment?

Failing that, does anyone know of any useful links....have any spare money they wouldn't mind me using as a little bribe?

Best wishes,

NS04
What sort of employment area, NS04?

I went through an Assessment centre, a few years ago.

In that they were looking at things like, Verbal evaluation, Data interpretation, Business acumen, Planning & Organising, Managing Performance, Teamwork, Interpersonal communication, Problem Solving, Decision making, Influencing others, needs analysis etc.

It lasted a day, and was pretty stressful - particularly as none of us knew what to expect!! They were restructuring the area, and this was for a job we were already doing - if you didn't suceed you were made redundant so it was extra heavy pressure.

I have found this website - do know if it will be of any use...but it give you what to expect etc.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...ntres/p!egFlLd

Good Luck! Just go in with a clear head, and a positive mind.

Last edited by little-ginge; 01 February 2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01 February 2006, 11:38 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

I am involved in the running of Assesment Centres for Tesco (They are called Option Days at Tesco though). Im only doing this whilst i wait to go into my new job role with the company so not a genius on the subject.

Depending on what role or area of business you are involved in is going to affect the attitude you need quite a lot but i will just give you a little general advice.

You are watched at all times, that something to remember. As soon as you arrive, whilst you are eating lunch, everything you do is monitored and recorded, even when you think they are taking a break.

They want to see your interaction with the group you are in. The main thing is to ensure that you get involved and get your point across but dont come over too harsh, dont talk over people, ignore people or brush off others comments. Its important to listen as well as talk.

We are also told to clock people who "try to hard". You can tell people who are pretending to be different. If you portray somebody you are not then you will not stand a chance, just be natural.
Old 01 February 2006, 11:53 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by burbs
I am involved in the running of Assesment Centres for Tesco (They are called Option Days at Tesco though). Im only doing this whilst i wait to go into my new job role with the company so not a genius on the subject.

Depending on what role or area of business you are involved in is going to affect the attitude you need quite a lot but i will just give you a little general advice.

You are watched at all times, that something to remember. As soon as you arrive, whilst you are eating lunch, everything you do is monitored and recorded, even when you think they are taking a break.

They want to see your interaction with the group you are in. The main thing is to ensure that you get involved and get your point across but dont come over too harsh, dont talk over people, ignore people or brush off others comments. Its important to listen as well as talk.

We are also told to clock people who "try to hard". You can tell people who are pretending to be different. If you portray somebody you are not then you will not stand a chance, just be natural.
Good advice They do watch you like hawks - interact with the others during lunch, otherwise they think you are not a team player..