Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Electric garage doors

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 10:52 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric garage doors

Has anyone got them? We're on the verge of placing an order to replace our tatty old up-and-over doors with electric (remote control) roller doors, probably the Henderson 'Steel line' ones.

I was wondering about longevity, durability, problems, recommendations, etc... We preferred the look of the aluminium Cardale 'Thermaglide' range, but can't really justify the extra £300 cost per door...
Old 01 February 2006, 02:49 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Dunno much about them, but I've got an electric double garage door on my new house. Like it. But the safety sensors prevent me from performing the Indiana Jones stunt I had planned.
Old 01 February 2006, 03:30 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

I used to have one when I was rich. Was worth its weight in gold during winter when I didn't have to get out of my car until it was nicely inside the garage. Sadly, it sits on the drive nowadays.

Yve
Old 01 February 2006, 04:21 PM
KEVWRX95
Scooby Regular

Location: West Sussex-Scoob stripped :( Hello Audi A6 4.2V8 Quattro :)
Wink Love mine

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
Has anyone got them? We're on the verge of placing an order to replace our tatty old up-and-over doors with electric (remote control) roller doors, probably the Henderson 'Steel line' ones.

I was wondering about longevity, durability, problems, recommendations, etc... We preferred the look of the aluminium Cardale 'Thermaglide' range, but can't really justify the extra £300 cost per door...
I have a single garage, and last year got the white roller door electric jobby.
Best money I ever spent, the roller design is superb as it doesn't take up roof space if you wanted to board your garage, also the way it locks into place security wise I think you would need a bulldozer to smash through it, no keyhole to vandalise etc etc.
I sleep better knowing my scoob is well locked away.

Kev.
Old 01 February 2006, 07:32 PM
rik-1
Scooby Regular

Had mine now for over 2 years and has been perfectly reliable. A company called ASI fitted them. I got a brochure from them but did not reply to them. After a couple of weeks they sent details of their best prices!
Is well woth having, it saves time, is convenient, easy, secure and you can still open the garage manually from inside if their is a power cut.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:03 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Not had a pick of bother with ours. A double size roller door. Been superb
Old 01 February 2006, 09:55 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

http://www.diygaragedoors.co.uk/glideroldoors.htm

Got one of these 14' wide & it's lovely, fitted it myself. You could do it yourself in a day easily & it isnt difficult. Was about £900 I think but well worth it.

Jay

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2006, 11:14 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I've got one of the more "cheap and cheerful" ones with the remote control and motor fitted to my original "up and over" door. Great as you can just use the remote and then drive straight into the garage. Lovely to get out of the car, through the back door of the garage into the house without going outside when it's raining. Installed it myself in probably 3 hours, never had a problem with it yet
Old 02 February 2006, 01:22 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

we have one of these on our garage fitted by me and my cousin and it was very very easy to fit http://www.lakesidesecurity.co.uk

The pictures were taken before we had finished the garage

The dooor is a double width and cost about £1100 for the lot and the price and service Lakeside were the best
Old 02 February 2006, 08:24 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Lakside Security doors and Thermaglide are the same product.

If I was you, I would spend the extra £300 per door, as :-

* The Steelline door is corrugated steel which rolls around itself (i think there could be problems in future with metal fatigue), the thermaglide is made of individual lathes, so each lathe creates a 'hinge' .

* The steelline door is not insulated, thermaglide is.

* The steelline door, again being a corrugated sheet, is very flimsy, the Themaglide isn't.

I could keep listing pros for the Thermaglide, but if it all boils down to cost, then go for the Steelline (which is also manufactured by Cardale, not Henderson ), either way, you are buying the Cardale brand .

If you want any impartial advice, call me on 07786 077329, I am not in your area, but could let you know whether you are getting a good deal or not .

Nate.