Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hit and Run - One letter from the police in over 2 months

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2006, 08:18 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Hit and Run - One letter from the police in over 2 months

About a week after the chap hit me I recieved the obligatory "Sorry you have been a victim of blah blah"

They have his name and his reg No, they also have him screaming down my mobile whilst I'm trying to report the incident.

I accept there are far greater priorities for the boys in blue but 2 months + and nothing is just taking the **** a little bit, are they hoping I'll drop it and just disappear
Old 01 February 2006, 08:36 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry, I was assaulted 10 years ago, gave the police the car reg no and a description. All I've had so far is a crime number.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:57 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Same thing happened to my sister and her boyfriend, someone smashed into his car, written off and sped off, they got his reg etc.. reported it and got nothing apart from a crime number, the guy admitted to the police he had no insurance when they knocked on his door but they havent procecuted. WTF is that all about
Old 01 February 2006, 12:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I,m still waiting for them to come and take a statement for an accident witnessed 4 years ago, !!

Mart
Old 01 February 2006, 01:38 PM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Angry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by davegtt
Same thing happened to my sister and her boyfriend, someone smashed into his car, written off and sped off, they got his reg etc.. reported it and got nothing apart from a crime number, the guy admitted to the police he had no insurance when they knocked on his door but they havent procecuted. WTF is that all about
Exact thing happened last night to my brothers car, we got the reg and phoned the pigs............ i mean police.......... they never turned up as i predicted then he went to the station to report it only to be told if they have time will they look into it and if not they will give him a crime ref no...... and to top it off she gave him a producer.......... BITCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raz.

p.s. so glad we pay our taxes
Old 01 February 2006, 04:32 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

I won't hold out too much hope then.......
Old 01 February 2006, 06:39 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I won't hold out too much hope then.......

Why post then??

Just to moan at aparent lack of action??

A accident usually takes 6 months to get anywhere. Probably waiting for DVLA to get back with driver details (if he has any) and the like.

Just what do you want doing? What do you want off them? Tell me and i'll explain why or why not it hasn't been done!

Can't say fairer than that can I? (Last time i offered this service the thread went very quiet all of a sudden!)

Chris.

Trending Topics

Old 01 February 2006, 07:17 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The guy that stole my runaround earlier this month stuffed it into a lampost at high speed within a few minutes.

A. Im glad I save money buying cheap budget tyres,
B. It was pre airbag, so i hope he hurt himself.

Im just waiting to find out if I can claim any money off the 'poor misundertood young man'.
Old 01 February 2006, 07:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
Why post then??

A accident usually takes 6 months to get anywhere. Probably waiting for DVLA to get back with driver details (if he has any) and the like.

Just what do you want doing? What do you want off them? Tell me and i'll explain why or why not it hasn't been done!

Can't say fairer than that can I? (Last time i offered this service the thread went very quiet all of a sudden!)

Chris.
2 months, ffs

i,m still waiting for a statement to be taken after witnessing an twoc & rta 4 years ago, now you dont need to be einstein to work out the likleyhood of them contacting me now do you ?

Mart
Old 01 February 2006, 08:44 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Why post then??

Chris.
He should have been pulled in and interviewed surely, and his car checked out for damage, asked where he was at the time, blah, blah, that sort of simple stuff. Why dont you boys in blue get it? We who pay your wages dont think much of you. Get over it and tell your bend over government lacky bosses.

Last edited by _RIP_; 01 February 2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Why post then??

Chris.
OK, let's look at my case.

At a set of traffic lights in a VW Scirocco 1.6. Guy in an X3R pulls up next to me. I pull away, nothing too rapid. He is still along side me as we approach the point where the road is merging in to a single lane. As I asy, I'm not pushing at this point so I have plenty to spare. 2 choices I ease off and let him by (with hind sight maybe the better choice) or put my foot down so he can drop in behind. I chose the latter. He then sits behind me thorough town to a roundabout at the edge of town which is NSL on the exit. The left lane is marked left only, the right lane is marked straight on and right. I am in the right lane going straight on. He takes to the left lane. As I am about to exit the roundabout I do a usual check in the nearside mirror and see Mr. XR3 coming along side. I think f*** me and pull over as far to the right as I can without hitting the bollard in the centre of the road. He mounts the soft verge and comes through on the inside taking out my mirror (with a child aprrox 12 years old in the front seat). I brake hard and let him through. He drops back on to the road and stops. At this point I'm not too keen on a face to face confrontation, so I floor it an go. I get home, have a coffee and then head back in to town and report it to the police giving them the vehicle make (red XR3) and the reg (I can't remember it now).

At the weekend, I am in town walking down a one way street, I see a red XR3 coming the wrong way up the one way street and mounting the kerb heading for me. I jump out of the way and realise who it is. I decide this guy isn't going to be up for a debate so I head off at a run down the street. He catches up with me as I'm trying to get in to a shop for some cover and hits me in the face, breaking my glasses and inflicting quite a nice shiner. I pushed him off and went in to the shop at which point the staff saw what was happening and told him to get lost.

I went to the police station again, reported it, complete with reg no etc and got a crime number. I chased it up a number of times and they confirmed they knew who the guy was as they had had dealings in the past. I have not heard anything more, no feedback, no request to give evidence in court. So please tell me why the police have done nothing about this assault.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:16 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
He should have been pulled in and interviewed surely, and his car checked out for damage, asked where he was at the time, blah, blah, that sort of simple stuff. Why dont you boys in blue get it? We who pay your wages dont think much of you. Get over it and tell your bend over government lacky bosses.

Ok, two points here, first the one about the TWOC and RTA.

If the offender was located and coughed it on interview first time there is no need for your witness statement, this is the most probable cause. If not, there may well still be forensic issues ongoing, currently we wait 12 weeks for forensic results, no point pulling anyone in or the like with that wait. th efact you have said nothing about an RTA witness questionnaire leads me to believe the offender has been caught and dealt with already.

Ok, point two,

Was the driver the owner of the car? Was car stolen, leased, rented? Again these enquiries take time and cannot be pushed through by us, they just take time. Secondly we can't just pull someone in and ask them to account for their whereabouts, if we have a supsicion they are involved in a criminal offence we have to arrest them and interview them under caution, pointless without all the evidence etc. A form 172, requirement to reveal who was driving will have been sent, again this might not have come back yet. We cannot just go bowling in without facts, yes it's frustrating but thats the law of the land, not our fault.

When will people who pay our wages (never heard that before, in fact if you think about it, i pay tax so i actually pay a percentage of my own wages and get taxed on that as well!!) actually start thinking what goes on. And here's a thought, why not ring up and enquire instead of shouting how bad we all are.

NEXT!!!
Old 01 February 2006, 09:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Ok, two points here, first the one about the TWOC and RTA.

If the offender was located and coughed it on interview first time there is no need for your witness statement, this is the most probable cause. If not, there may well still be forensic issues ongoing, currently we wait 12 weeks for forensic results, no point pulling anyone in or the like with that wait. th efact you have said nothing about an RTA witness questionnaire leads me to believe the offender has been caught and dealt with already.
So you don't bother letting victims know that the perpatrator has been caught and dealt with? And you wonder why the police have a bad perception for not solving crimes?

Ok, point two,

Was the driver the owner of the car? Was car stolen, leased, rented? Again these enquiries take time and cannot be pushed through by us, they just take time. Secondly we can't just pull someone in and ask them to account for their whereabouts, if we have a supsicion they are involved in a criminal offence we have to arrest them and interview them under caution, pointless without all the evidence etc. A form 172, requirement to reveal who was driving will have been sent, again this might not have come back yet. We cannot just go bowling in without facts, yes it's frustrating but thats the law of the land, not our fault.

When will people who pay our wages (never heard that before, in fact if you think about it, i pay tax so i actually pay a percentage of my own wages and get taxed on that as well!!) actually start thinking what goes on. And here's a thought, why not ring up and enquire instead of shouting how bad we all are.

NEXT!!!
Mine's right above
Old 01 February 2006, 09:27 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
OK, let's look at my case.

At a set of traffic lights in a VW Scirocco 1.6. Guy in an X3R pulls up next to me. I pull away, nothing too rapid. He is still along side me as we approach the point where the road is merging in to a single lane. As I asy, I'm not pushing at this point so I have plenty to spare. 2 choices I ease off and let him by (with hind sight maybe the better choice) or put my foot down so he can drop in behind. I chose the latter. He then sits behind me thorough town to a roundabout at the edge of town which is NSL on the exit. The left lane is marked left only, the right lane is marked straight on and right. I am in the right lane going straight on. He takes to the left lane. As I am about to exit the roundabout I do a usual check in the nearside mirror and see Mr. XR3 coming along side. I think f*** me and pull over as far to the right as I can without hitting the bollard in the centre of the road. He mounts the soft verge and comes through on the inside taking out my mirror (with a child aprrox 12 years old in the front seat). I brake hard and let him through. He drops back on to the road and stops. At this point I'm not too keen on a face to face confrontation, so I floor it an go. I get home, have a coffee and then head back in to town and report it to the police giving them the vehicle make (red XR3) and the reg (I can't remember it now).

At the weekend, I am in town walking down a one way street, I see a red XR3 coming the wrong way up the one way street and mounting the kerb heading for me. I jump out of the way and realise who it is. I decide this guy isn't going to be up for a debate so I head off at a run down the street. He catches up with me as I'm trying to get in to a shop for some cover and hits me in the face, breaking my glasses and inflicting quite a nice shiner. I pushed him off and went in to the shop at which point the staff saw what was happening and told him to get lost.

I went to the police station again, reported it, complete with reg no etc and got a crime number. I chased it up a number of times and they confirmed they knew who the guy was as they had had dealings in the past. I have not heard anything more, no feedback, no request to give evidence in court. So please tell me why the police have done nothing about this assault.
Ok, we have a bit more then here.

This is whats classed as a road rage incident with an assault thrown in for good measure. The initial RTA is damage only, the only requirement is that drivers exchange insurance details and contact details etc. The fact you drove away is understandable due to the manner of his driving but can be construed as leaving the scene of an accident. You did however report within 24 hrs so its cool. Other driver obviously thought he'd got away with it and did nothing or thought you flooring it was a bit off and got pi55ed by it.

The next incident is a bit odd, you are basically accusing the driver of mounting the kerb in an effort to hit you with his vehicle and then chasing you, catching you and hitting you about the face causing bruising. You did not say when this happened, was it before the new year? The rules on arrest changed on Jan 1st making it easier for us to arrest for offences and might make a difference here.

If you reported it as an assault with injuries you should be statemented and perhaps photographed early doors so as not to loose evidence. If this has not happened ring and ask to speak to a sergeant/inspector. Give them the crime number and ask for an update off the officer. Believe me this will move things along. If nothing has been done i assure you it will happen rapidly after that. Unfortunatlely with the average officer in our force carrying between 25-30 crimes for investigation it sometimes happens that things get left that shouldn't. Give em a buzz and see what happens.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:28 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=OllyK]So you don't bother letting victims know that the perpatrator has been caught and dealt with? And you wonder why the police have a bad perception for not solving crimes?

OllyK,

He was a witness, not the victim. We don't tell witnesses if the offender has been caught and dealt with no.

Don't understand the 'mines above' bit sorry.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Ok, we have a bit more then here.

This is whats classed as a road rage incident with an assault thrown in for good measure. The initial RTA is damage only, the only requirement is that drivers exchange insurance details and contact details etc. The fact you drove away is understandable due to the manner of his driving but can be construed as leaving the scene of an accident. You did however report within 24 hrs so its cool. Other driver obviously thought he'd got away with it and did nothing or thought you flooring it was a bit off and got pi55ed by it.
OK so far

The next incident is a bit odd,
You're telling me??

you are basically accusing the driver of mounting the kerb in an effort to hit you with his vehicle and then chasing you, catching you and hitting you about the face causing bruising.
Spot on

You did not say when this happened, was it before the new year?
I thought "at the weekend" may have been a clue, but if you want me to be exact, "3 days later"

The rules on arrest changed on Jan 1st making it easier for us to arrest for offences and might make a difference here.
This would be Jan 01 1996 - yes?

If you reported it as an assault with injuries you should be statemented and perhaps photographed early doors so as not to loose evidence.
I was in the Police Station within 2 hours, possibly less. I had a statement taken in the front reception. There was no suggestion of a photos or an examination by a doctor.

If this has not happened ring and ask to speak to a sergeant/inspector. Give them the crime number
I gave up after 6 month of calling and always being told "the officer dealing with your incident is unavailable, but he'll get back to you" and never did - we are 10 years on now and I no longer have the crime number as, unsurprisingly I got pissed off. Requests for can I speak to somebody else were met with "nobody else will know what's going on, try calling later"

and ask for an update off the officer. Believe me this will move things along.
If nothing has been done i assure you it will happen rapidly after that.
Unfortunatlely with the average officer in our force carrying between 25-30 crimes for investigation it sometimes happens that things get left that shouldn't. Give em a buzz and see what happens.
I did - nothing happened.

I can give you numerous other incidents of Police non-action if you want them?

Last edited by OllyK; 01 February 2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01 February 2006, 09:43 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Chris5-0]
So you don't bother letting victims know that the perpatrator has been caught and dealt with? And you wonder why the police have a bad perception for not solving crimes?

OllyK,

He was a witness, not the victim. We don't tell witnesses if the offender has been caught and dealt with no.
OK - misread that bit

My account - you have already made a start on it
Old 01 February 2006, 09:51 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

OllyK,

Sorry mate totally misread the first post.

This happened ten years ago?

And you're still pi55ed at us?

Sorry nothing got done then but we're 10 years down the line, this type of thing should not happen now. Ten years ago i'll have, there was no such thing as Road Rage, the injuries you sustained would have been classed as very minor and probably dealt with via a verbal ticking off. You're lucky it got statemented.

About 12 years ago i got a giro stolen from my letterbox, police came and asked me to come to station where they interviewed me. Basically they thought i'd cashed it and reported it for another one. I hadn't and nothing got done. They were crap, one thought he was don johnson and the other thought he was the hardest man in the world.

But i got over it, very quickly. I know it wouldn't happen today and can live with it.

I thought you'd said it was this year!

Grief!!
Old 01 February 2006, 09:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OllyK,

Sorry mate totally misread the first post.

This happened ten years ago?

And you're still pi55ed at us?

Sorry nothing got done then but we're 10 years down the line, this type of thing should not happen now. Ten years ago i'll have, there was no such thing as Road Rage, the injuries you sustained would have been classed as very minor and probably dealt with via a verbal ticking off. You're lucky it got statemented.

About 12 years ago i got a giro stolen from my letterbox, police came and asked me to come to station where they interviewed me. Basically they thought i'd cashed it and reported it for another one. I hadn't and nothing got done. They were crap, one thought he was don johnson and the other thought he was the hardest man in the world.

But i got over it, very quickly. I know it wouldn't happen today and can live with it.

I thought you'd said it was this year!

Grief!!
Nope - post number 2, I stated 10 years and I'm still waiting.

As I am for the theft from my Shed 8 years ago.

As are the 100 car owners from my parents village (of 800 people) who have had their cars vandalised over the last 2 years despite CCTV footage being given to the Police from the local shop showing them in action.

As is the former shop keeper in the same village who was locked in the shop and it set on fire by some guys nicking a few packs of ****.

Maybe I'm just unlucky that I have yet to have a decent experience with the police but have had plenty of poor ones. Maybe it's just that the police in Loughborough are crap, I don't know, but so far I'm un-impressed.
Old 02 February 2006, 08:23 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

I think this is just another example of the rank and file 'not listening' and 'not bothering'. I've read numerous posts on SN where the police get bad press for ineffectual policing and I'm afraid the ‘it’s not our fault’ replies from the likes of Chris just reinforce my view of why the country/force is in such a mess.

I was attacked recently at my place of work and assaulted. There were no witnesses. The plod who attended 45 minutes after my 999 call told me not to bother perusing the case (is this their job to tell me this?) as (a) the iron bar which the guy had picked up outside the office and used to whack me about the head, would be inadmissible as the guy who had assaulted me had previously worked at our firm i.e. he could have used the iron bar legitimately for some reason when he was staff. (He was a cleaner!!) (b) When I asked if they could check the outside CCTV footage they said this would be a "waste of time" (theirs obviously) as the guy could say he had a legitimate reason for coming back to the firm three months after being sacked (and attacking me), so that wouldn’t wash. When I asked them how the iron bar managed to find its way inside and have parts of my head embedded in it they (male and female plod) started getting stroppy, you could tell the just wanted to **** off back to the comfort of their warm panda car.

Even when I asked them to give him a warning they said this also was a waste of time and they had nothing to warn him for ffs!. They then said they 'might' get someone to go round and 'have a word' but when I asked if they could feed back on what happened they said, 'look we said we might have a word it depends if we have time, if the guys not in or doesn’t answer the door, that’s that'.

Cheers for the big favour, not.

Chris, these sorts of incidents are indicative of why the public have no faith in you, the force has become a feeble reactionary mess whose only purpose seems to be handing out crime reference numbers. Proactive policing, what’s that then?
Old 02 February 2006, 08:31 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

[quote=Chris5-0]

OllyK,

Were we not talking about the original poster here who was a victim?
Old 02 February 2006, 08:47 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=_RIP_]

Were we not talking about the original poster here who was a victim?
That's how I'd read it and hence my post.
Old 02 February 2006, 09:04 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

somebody nicked my bike when i was 14 on my paper round and that has not turned up either.
Old 02 February 2006, 09:08 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

Didnt someone steal the flowers from your carwash?
Old 02 February 2006, 09:13 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

yea, never reported that one

figured they dont need any extra work when the bike has still not been found

Old 02 February 2006, 09:19 AM
_RIP_
BANNED

lol
Old 02 February 2006, 11:13 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Chris5-0]

OllyK,

This has been giving me some thought for some time now....

and therin lies your problem...

How many times has joe public done his / her bit and reported a crime/ incedant for it to end there?

just because your not the victim, dosent mean that you should not be told the outcome,.. in fact its this missing point that potentially makes people think "whats the point nothing ever happens" and so the next time they see things they ignore it, or turn the other way.

prehaps if you updated the witness's they may feel a little more valued and willing to help next time.

Mart
Old 02 February 2006, 12:35 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Look, we're not perfect, far from it. There's not enough of us, they cut our numbers on the streets to fill in paperwork and when we do get out we're spending 4 hours at a burglary so that the figures look nice. I'll have every argument on here as truth (well, nearly all). Truth is i'd say 90% of cops are really pi55ed off with the red tape and the like and there is nothing we can do about it. A new practice comes in or new legislation comes in and the first we hear of it is when its in place, making our lives harder. It doesn't work, hasn't for a long time but thats what we live with.

What annoys me is when people post on here saying 'i got attacked and the cops did nothing.' Have you not a tongue in your head, can you not complain? Sergeants and Inspectors are being bashed on the head daily to get results and complaints made are investigated thoroughly and any action needed to be taken is. Now before you say i'm crusading for a complaint culture i'd say that, yes, ther are bad apples and yes they need getting rid of. The recruitment process is ridiculously easy to get through and is leading to people not suited for the job getting in and damaging us further.

So instead of moaning on here where it's down to a few of us to try and defend the cops, make a noise yourself to the relevant authorities and get action instead of being soft and sitting back and taking bad service, you'd not do it in any other service industry would you?
Old 02 February 2006, 01:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Look, we're not perfect, far from it. There's not enough of us, they cut our numbers on the streets to fill in paperwork and when we do get out we're spending 4 hours at a burglary so that the figures look nice. I'll have every argument on here as truth (well, nearly all). Truth is i'd say 90% of cops are really pi55ed off with the red tape and the like and there is nothing we can do about it. A new practice comes in or new legislation comes in and the first we hear of it is when its in place, making our lives harder. It doesn't work, hasn't for a long time but thats what we live with.

What annoys me is when people post on here saying 'i got attacked and the cops did nothing.' Have you not a tongue in your head, can you not complain? Sergeants and Inspectors are being bashed on the head daily to get results and complaints made are investigated thoroughly and any action needed to be taken is. Now before you say i'm crusading for a complaint culture i'd say that, yes, ther are bad apples and yes they need getting rid of. The recruitment process is ridiculously easy to get through and is leading to people not suited for the job getting in and damaging us further.

So instead of moaning on here where it's down to a few of us to try and defend the cops, make a noise yourself to the relevant authorities and get action instead of being soft and sitting back and taking bad service, you'd not do it in any other service industry would you?
Simon

We cant wait for the day that your chief constables are elected by the populous they serve, it will certianly make them accountable, as they will have to prove there worth.

but if i recal the ones who are opposing this at the moment are...

the current crop of chief constables.

so if there that good, what have they got to worry about.

Mart
i
Old 02 February 2006, 07:13 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Wink

Why post then??

Chris.

Plod with attitude or just premenstral ?? PMFSL, read the intial thread and the bit about, no f*ck it I cant be bothered to help you read, 1 minute on the computer you get his details, you pass them to my insurance co, Police decide not to prosecute no more p/w job done, now be a good chap run back to your desk and get it solved Clousseau

And take your helmet off when you come on here, chill a bit.....

Quick Reply: Hit and Run - One letter from the police in over 2 months