Laser eye correction

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 12:57 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Laser eye correction

Hi All,

Looks like I will be getting some Laser eye correction. I have doubts about messing with my eye's but I have had friends who have had it to with great results. So I am trying to decide to do or not, Please help with experiences etc,

Thanks Mark,
Old 17 January 2006, 12:59 PM
maddog321
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant' really help you but my Uncle and a lad I play football both had it done - both said that their eyes were really irritable in the first few days after (poss up to a week) but then you're eyes adjust and settle down and both swear by it now and could not be happier!

One had theirs done at boots, not sure about the other!

Good luck mate, I'll be having it done sooner or later as well
Old 17 January 2006, 01:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

i've thought about it myself, but there is a chance that you can go blind, so for me the risk is too risky. It always happens to someone else, but.........

Plus, you can lose full vision at night, like Richard Branson, if he lookes at a light it reflects 4 ways, like looking through a greesy windscreen.
You can't touch your eyes for weeks, so what happens if you get an eyelash in your eye. If you rub it, you dislodge or worse, rip off part of your cornia.

Not for me, but good luck.
Old 17 January 2006, 01:10 PM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

WOW, laser eyes.
Once you've got them accurate you'd make a great bond baddy.
You could hold the world to ransom or even use them for good although I can't think a specific example at the moment
Old 17 January 2006, 02:06 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Had it done 3 ago as had worn contacts for 9 years and hated wearing glasses. Not had any problems with it one eyes have settled, Initially had problem at night with halo effect around street lights, but after a month that stopped, very very occasionally get it at night but only when I'm extremely tired, but blinking normally sorts it.
Have to be prepared to not play contact sport (if you do) for 6 to 12 months in case you eye get knocked and the flaps they cut on your lens gets damaged.

Richard

PS ignore the scare stories as they are mostly scare stories built on myth by people not wanting to have it done, but as with every procedure there are risk and they do go wrong occasionally !
Old 17 January 2006, 02:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
i've thought about it myself, but there is a chance that you can go blind, so for me the risk is too risky. It always happens to someone else, but.........

Plus, you can lose full vision at night, like Richard Branson, if he lookes at a light it reflects 4 ways, like looking through a greesy windscreen.
You can't touch your eyes for weeks, so what happens if you get an eyelash in your eye. If you rub it, you dislodge or worse, rip off part of your cornia.

Not for me, but good luck.

been reading urban myths have we..

my brother in law had it done,

here are the true results

they asses your eyes to see which is the worse eye, as he needed both doing.

they do the worse eye first, then if it doesnt work, you still have one good eye, the other eye is usally no worse than before.

if the op works and your happy, you go and get the next eye done later.

he said it was uncomforable, for a couple of days, and dont strain the eye] (bit like mega arc eye)

after than it was take it easy to give the eye a chance to heal..

he said the transformation in vision was fantastic, to the point the vision in the corrected eye was near on better than his good eye.

he has near on 2020 vision now

Also my wifes boss had it done. he was back at work the next day

things improve all the time,

btw they arnt doing anything to the cornea, so it wont fall off

mart
Old 17 January 2006, 02:58 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"i've thought about it myself, but there is a chance that you can go blind"

lol...what are the odds? prob better than driving a car...do you do that?
Old 17 January 2006, 03:37 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"i've thought about it myself, but there is a chance that you can go blind"

lol...what are the odds? prob better than driving a car...do you do that?
I don't think my comments are stupid. Nor are they urban myths (Mart360). Not every operation is a success (as with every type of operation) but for myself, the slightest chance of losing my eye sight is just too greater risk to take. People have gone blind having the operation. Ok, the cases might be very rare, but none the less, they have gone blind.
Just think though, if you were one of the rare cases that went blind. I'd rather be called 4eyes all my life, drive, play football, shoot, and do every day things normaly than be blind.
Just cos I am against doing it, doesn't mean I'm against anyone else having it done. All I'm saying is that for me personaly, it's to risky.

Must admit though the 2 main things (apart from going blind) that really put me off, is A) having your eye cut, and B) being awake while their doing it.

If they, in the future, can do it without cuting the eye, then I might think diffrently. Until then however, I'll continue as I am.
Old 17 January 2006, 03:42 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Not had it done but I know 4 people that have had it done at Optimax in Leeds (no jokes about it being better than Tesco 99 RON / BP Ultimate please ).

All had no problems and are very pleased. Two of them were literally blind as bats without glasses / lenses and now don't need either. These two had it done over two years ago, only had a day of discomfort and then no further issues.

However, ALL reported that the bloke that operated the laser machine wore rimless specs. Draw whatever conclusion you like from this ...
Old 17 January 2006, 04:11 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My sister had it done last year and has just been for one last "correction" in one eye, free of charge. Now she has almost 20:20 vision and is very happy with the results.

I'm still not convinced, though...
Old 17 January 2006, 05:29 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Thanks gus, I will be seeing Optimax on the 25th so hope I can make a choice then, but if they want to give me free fuel then that would be good too
Old 17 January 2006, 05:35 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Wonder if it would work on my duffer!!!!

I really shouldnt laugh at my own misfortune!

Old 17 January 2006, 05:44 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

How much does it cost?
Old 17 January 2006, 05:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Rose is seriously considering getting it done as she does not like wearing glasses or contacts. I am tempted, but I've never warn contacts as I just don't like sticking things in my eyes, and so having someone slice a flap in my eye (I know it is painless) does not overly appeal.

Can you have the procedure repeated in say 5, 10, 15 or 20 years time if your eyesight degrades, or is it a one shot deal?

I do know a few people who have had it done and they are very happy indeed.
Old 17 January 2006, 05:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboman786
How much does it cost?
My local place has a "special" from $490 (Canadian Dollars) per eye (£238.50 per eye at current exchange rates), depending on perscription strength. Regular price is $1200 per eye. All major credit cards accepted, plus finance is available Now that makes me chuckle, finance for new eyes, what do they do if you don't pay, come and nick your eyes? lol
Old 17 January 2006, 07:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

I don't think my comments are stupid. Nor are they urban myths (Mart360).

Must admit though the 2 main things (apart from going blind) that really put me off, is A) having your eye cut, and B) being awake while their doing it.

If they, in the future, can do it without cuting the eye, then I might think diffrently. Until then however, I'll continue as I am.

what planet are you on!!!!!

they dont cut the eye, its done with lazers. They burn away the muscle at the back of the eye to seshape the eye, and correct the asigmatism

the only time they cut the eye, is if you have a cornea transplant.

and how else can they do if youve got your eyes closed.

now whose not been well informed!!

mart
Old 17 January 2006, 07:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

been tempted for a few years TBH

purely as it works out cheaper in the long run then having the contacts in.

maybe this summer if i can be arsed
Old 17 January 2006, 07:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by brickboy

However, ALL reported that the bloke that operated the laser machine wore rimless specs. Draw whatever conclusion you like from this ...

yes quite intresting that...........REV..!!...........What sort of corrections..???
Old 17 January 2006, 07:37 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

For anyone interested, here is a link to Lasik MD Vision, which gives info on the various Lasik procedures, plus other vision correction procedures and alternatives.
Old 17 January 2006, 09:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
what planet are you on!!!!!

they dont cut the eye, its done with lazers. They burn away the muscle at the back of the eye to seshape the eye, and correct the asigmatism

the only time they cut the eye, is if you have a cornea transplant.

and how else can they do if youve got your eyes closed.

now whose not been well informed!!

mart
Errrrr............ they do cut your eye. Peel back the flap, then apply the lazer treatment. They re-aply the flap, and allow it to heal. That's why you can't rub your eyes until it's fully healed, because you could dislodge it or worse, rip it off.
If you read the other posts, they say the same. see Markus's post for one.

Now whose not been well informed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Planet Earth.
Old 17 January 2006, 09:56 PM
lucylastic
Scooby Regular

Not had it done but I know 4 people that have had it done at Optimax in Leeds (no jokes about it being better than Tesco 99 RON / BP Ultimate please ).
I had it done there 3 years ago, and no problems at all since. I think there are 2 types of surgery, one when you're fine within hours, and one where it takes around 5 days. (It's dependant on your prescription which you have). I had the latter, and I did have quite a lot of discomfort for around 3 days, then light-sensitivity for a few weeks after, but then absolutely perfect vision. Can't recommend it highly enough - a life free from contact lenses is bliss as far as I'm concerned - I can have long nails now without worrying about poking my eye out
Old 17 January 2006, 10:18 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

The answer to that could possible be because while Lasik in its various forms is good at resolving short sightness (ie cant see distance clearly (What I suffered from)), its not good at all at resolving long sighted vision problems (ie cant see close distance clearly).

Richard
Old 17 January 2006, 10:21 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't fancy it anyway. Can't stand people mucking around with my eyes - it's bad enough with the problems I have (which laser treatment would not get rid of).
Old 17 January 2006, 10:35 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Errrrr............ they do cut your eye. Peel back the flap, then apply the lazer treatment. They re-aply the flap, and allow it to heal. That's why you can't rub your eyes until it's fully healed, because you could dislodge it or worse, rip it off.
If you read the other posts, they say the same. see Markus's post for one.

Now whose not been well informed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Planet Earth.
As somebody who has had laser treatment (and suffered absolutely no ill effects), I can confirm that this is true. They DO slice the front of your eye open, laser it, then put it back.

mart360 is talking total bollocks.
Old 17 January 2006, 10:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dharbige
As somebody who has had laser treatment (and suffered absolutely no ill effects), I can confirm that this is true. They DO slice the front of your eye open, laser it, then put it back.

mart360 is talking total bollocks.
I stand corrected

mart
Old 17 January 2006, 10:46 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

anyone had the lens implants ??
i have bad astigmatism and long sighted-ness so would need the implants but i know no-one who has had this done...
Old 17 January 2006, 10:54 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Im only about -2.75 with astigmatism. so it should be ok, I think I just need to be careful with the flap. the cutting is the bit im most worried about . cost is about £700 per eye.
Old 18 January 2006, 12:01 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"but for myself, the slightest chance of losing my eye sight is just too greater risk to take. People have gone blind having the operation. Ok, the cases might be very rare, but none the less, they have gone blind."

dont own a car then?
Old 18 January 2006, 12:43 AM
oik
BANNED

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"but for myself, the slightest chance of losing my eye sight is just too greater risk to take. People have gone blind having the operation. Ok, the cases might be very rare, but none the less, they have gone blind."

dont own a car then?
What's your point poker boy?
Old 18 January 2006, 12:53 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Hmm...no-one has mentioned the long term issues I see.

I seem to recall a discussion about this on the radio, and it seemed that there was evidence from the USA (where this procedure has been available for much longer) that in the long term (15+ years) there were irreversible issues on eyesight caused by the laser....most significantly, degradation in the eye that would not have occurred had the laser treatment not taken place.

I'd certainly be looking (sic) into these longer term issues before committing. Don't be too hasty in believing the "experts" (sales staff) down at your local laser BOGOF centre.

I can't provide the evidence here as don't have any links, nor do I have any connection with these miracle sight centres (100% natural 20/20 vision I'm afraid), but just a warning shot across the bows.....

Quick Reply: Laser eye correction