Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Schools - Teaching by ability

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 12:48 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Schools - Teaching by ability

Does anyone know the current policy for primary schools, and teaching in ability groups etc?

My son (7) came home from school last night, in want for a better description, "a right state". The class used to have five tables, and the kids were split into abilities. This was useful for us (as his parents), as we basically say that as long as he works hard at school, then he'll stay on the "top" table, and with that comes rewards. He was doing quite nicely thankyou.

Yesterday, they stopped this, and now they are only taught by ability in Maths and English, so he's now sat on a table which is made up of children who were either on the bottom table or the one above it.

The immediate consequence of this is that he's lost interest in his work because it's boring, and when he wrote down his list of spellings this morning, he didn't care about them anymore. It doesn't help that he knew the list of words over a year ago; hence he doesn't see the point in doing them. i.e. they are teaching to the lowest common denominator by the look of it.

After talking with his mum this morning, we've decided to give it a week or two to see how it goes, but we are inclined to make an appointment with the school to discuss this, as it doesn't on the face of it appear be the best way of doing things, and it is already having a negative affect on his education. Until yesterday he was quite happy to go to school, but not now.

I know my son is no angel, and he does have his moments, but he *did* take a lot of care and had pride in his school work, and now he's sat on a table of kids who mess about all the time and unfortunately he's the kind of kid who is easily influenced and will join in. (just like I was)
Old 17 January 2006, 12:57 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right idea - I'd probably be contacting the school even before that.
Get copies of his grades and ask why he's been put on a table which has students of lower ability. show them the grades etc.......

Express your concerns and INSIST on something being done.

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 17 January 2006, 01:00 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

AIUI you need to ask why they stopped teaching kids by ability, particularly in the middle of a school year. It's not to do with your son personally.
Old 17 January 2006, 01:04 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Schools are always trying new ideas either government advised or their own

If you don't believe it is working for your child TELL THEM NOW

They will appreciate the feedback

An interested Parent is a good parent
Old 17 January 2006, 01:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Schools are always trying new ideas either government advised or their own

If you don't believe it is working for your child TELL THEM NOW

They will appreciate the feedback

An interested Parent is a good parent
Agree with this, although HOW you approach it will matter, as some schools and some heads can be VERY touchy if they think YOU think you know better!

Make sure you come across as concerned, supportive and caring, not aggressive, know-all and upset.

Point out your concerns, have good reasons for them lined up, point out the difference in your son's approach and work.

Be ready to listen to THEIR reasons, but be ready for catch phrases, and bull****.........education is rife with them. If you hear it, counter it, or at least ask to have it explained

Be ready to move him if you have to, but DON'T threaten with it until all else fails. Above all, remain calm, and nil illigitimo carborundum!

Alcazar
Old 17 January 2006, 01:29 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Well said and clarified
Old 17 January 2006, 06:06 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Sort it out now, but as said above do it diplomatically. If this situation continues your kid will become bored at school and start playing up just to give himself something to do. As a result he will be labelled a troublemaker and that will stick right through secondary school
Old 17 January 2006, 07:57 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Angry

hi,
I've not long come out of primary school, and I understand what you mean a bit, I think that the way teachers just move people is rather stupid, and they always seem to goive the worst places/partners to the people who try hard, i.e. they often put hard-working people with un-wiling people to try and incurrage(SP) them, this NEVER works, the hard workers just get dragged down.
Also i think abilities should be in order of how much people try. meaning your son should really be with hard workers like him self, like you say, he might not be very clever compared to others, but he tries his best and therefor he should be with appropriate people.

i feel better now

Scotty