Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 12:59 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Buy now pay later ...

All.

Looking for some advice:

Bought some furniture about this time last year, 0% finance assuming that you paid it off within 12 months of purchase. Filed documents away + forgot about them until last week when I noticed a strange direct debit taken from Bank Account. Upon further investigation turns out that it's been taken by a firm called J Bloggs Ltd (made up name). Looked back though my paperwork hell at home and found that it's the finance company re the above purchase. Turns out that a reminder to pay was not sent to me + as I forgot to pay I could now get stung for the interest. As interest is exorbitent (29% PA!!) it could cost me big time. Anyone come across this before + missed the deadline yet managed to get away without paying the interest? By my calcs I could owe them circa £400 interest ...

I'm thinking that as they did not notify me that the payment deadline was approaching then I may get away with it?

TX.
Old 16 January 2006, 01:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Call me a cynic but i wonder how many times they have forgot to send out the reminders and made £ 400.00 or so each time.

I would imagine that being you took this agreement out and you where aware iof the dates when you siogned on the dotted line that you are just as much responsible for paying it off before the due date.
Old 16 January 2006, 01:08 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

I signed an agreement like that and paid it off before the due date but they still stung me for the first payment - "hadn't realised it had been paid in full" even though it had been paid in at their local branch - took a donkey's age to get the money back from them as well.
Old 16 January 2006, 01:09 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Another cheeky one is if you take out furniture damage insurance - usually you have to claim within a month of the expiry of the plan to get your premium back, otherwise the insurance company pockets it. Utter con.
Old 16 January 2006, 01:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

settle early - you will still loose some interest but thats the cost of your error!
Old 16 January 2006, 01:10 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Twice in one day! Tiggs, you lose something. Loose is the opposite of tight, just fyi.
Old 16 January 2006, 01:12 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Had this with DFS, rang em or should I say GE Capital and they admitted I should of received a reminder - agreed to not charge any interest as both parties were at fault.

Paid em and that was that, 1st payment credited back with 7 days.

Give em a bell, see what they say - I believe that they should by rights send a reminder so many days before lump sum is due but I could be wrong.

GB
Old 16 January 2006, 01:16 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

It all depends on whether the company have admitted not sending you a reminder. If they have admitted that the ring them and they may, more than likely, allow you to settle straight away on a debit card and they will then close the account.

Unfortuantly if they say they have sent a reminder then there is nothing you can do about it. You signed and you will be liable. This is how they sting so many people.
Old 16 January 2006, 01:19 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

I did get a reminder and paid it off straight away but Henry's Favourite Company thought different - unless they don't credit the payments for a fortnight, of course
Old 16 January 2006, 01:27 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a call + see what happens. I'll post the result here!

TX.
Old 16 January 2006, 02:05 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

...and next time put a note in your diary.
They are bottom feeders. Crap like this is what keeps them afloat.

Had the same situation as Rani as well, where the balance has been paid off and still they take the money. Cheeky gets.

Joolz
Old 16 January 2006, 02:18 PM
dtriggs
Scooby Regular

Same happened to me when I bought a TV. I had in my diary the wrong date (by abt 10 days) and realised ebfore they took the first payment. Called them up having not recd any reminder and they just claimed it had been sent and that was that. Tried a couple of more times talking to managers etc and got nowhere. Cost me about £400 in the end - put it down to experience to be honest - I was a numpty.
Old 16 January 2006, 02:42 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

alot to be said for saving up and paying cash then, curse of the "i want it now" society
Old 16 January 2006, 04:18 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Same with PC World and HFC, no reminder sent...

I knew that after 9 months they were going to sting me so I settled in 8 months, but never even received a receipt or statement of terms and they made it as hard as possible to find out exactly who and how I paid.
Old 16 January 2006, 04:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"They are bottom feeders"

no- they make profit from people that want it NOW and cant wait. they provide a service that EVERYONE who uses it wants...otherwise they would pay cash.

if you feel they are bottom feeding thats a greater reflection on those they assist than them.
Old 16 January 2006, 04:43 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, you lot really amaze me. You sign a contract that says IF you abide by the rules, you get interest-free; if not, you get charged. You break the rules and then say they're ba5tards when they charge you??????
Old 16 January 2006, 05:06 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Tiggs
"They are bottom feeders"

no- they make profit from people that want it NOW and cant wait. they provide a service that EVERYONE who uses it wants...otherwise they would pay cash.

if you feel they are bottom feeding thats a greater reflection on those they assist than them.
What about those who have the money to drop the cash but can leave it in the bank earning at least 4% for say 6 months and then pay?
Old 16 January 2006, 06:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Unhappy

I never said ba5stards ... just looking to see if anyone had been down this road before + managed to wangle out of it? If not, then it's an expensive lesson for me, simple as that!!

Curious to see if "they" are obliged to notify you in writing that payment date is coming up? If so, they didn't so I may have a case, if not then ***** up on my part.

TX.

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Sorry, you lot really amaze me. You sign a contract that says IF you abide by the rules, you get interest-free; if not, you get charged. You break the rules and then say they're ba5tards when they charge you??????
Old 16 January 2006, 07:18 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner

I knew that after 9 months they were going to sting me so I settled in 8 months, but never even received a receipt or statement of terms and they made it as hard as possible to find out exactly who and how I paid.
Yup had the same problem. I set up a bank transfer as well as the standard direct debit payment (£24pm for a £1000 laptop lol) so that I would pay my laptop off before the end of the 12 month interest free period. If I hadn’t paid it off in 12 months I would have to pay a full years interest at 29% even if I went one month over. Just before the 12th and last payment was due they called me up and asked if I wanted a payment holiday. lol cheeky ba5tards
Old 16 January 2006, 07:43 PM
Notorious
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner

I have heard that so many times before. I used to work for PC World and customers would always phone and say that they never got a reminder, however in the 5 years I worked there I had taken out 8 different IFO agreements and always received a reminder!!

As someone above said, you signed the agreement and knew when you were due to pay it, but it becomes convenient to blame them when it actually comes down to your organization.
Old 16 January 2006, 07:51 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious
I have heard that so many times before. I used to work for PC World and customers would always phone and say that they never got a reminder, however in the 5 years I worked there I had taken out 8 different IFO agreements and always received a reminder!!

As someone above said, you signed the agreement and knew when you were due to pay it, but it becomes convenient to blame them when it actually comes down to your organization.
I never got a reminder and they also tried to lead me over the 12 month period as well. And to boot they guy in PC world neglected to say anything about it being a 24 month plan until I noticed it before I signed. HFC are con artists in my opinion.
Old 16 January 2006, 08:37 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
What about those who have the money to drop the cash but can leave it in the bank earning at least 4% for say 6 months and then pay?

Its not me that are saying they are feeding of the bottom.
Old 16 January 2006, 08:52 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mate got shafted in the same way

my furniture is all paid for
Old 16 January 2006, 09:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Notorious
you signed the agreement and knew when you were due to pay it, but it becomes convenient to blame them when it actually comes down to your organization.
Exactly, you sign the agreement with the finance company and not the company you bought the goods from.

If you dont have your finances in order than you only have yourself to blame.

Chip
Old 16 January 2006, 09:21 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Thought that was the general idea
Old 16 January 2006, 09:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You posted at 1pm ............... you must have an answer from them by now - what was it?

Sadly, they rely on people not being organised .... they prey on people not caring enough to take control .... you DID call them this afternoon, didn't you??????

Pete
Old 16 January 2006, 09:53 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wink

There's a lot of high horses + ivory towers on this Forum ...

TX.
Old 16 January 2006, 09:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wink

Pete.

Thought that I'd text them instead ... what do you think!

TX.

Originally Posted by pslewis
You posted at 1pm ............... you must have an answer from them by now - what was it?

Sadly, they rely on people not being organised .... they prey on people not caring enough to take control .... you DID call them this afternoon, didn't you??????

Pete
Old 16 January 2006, 10:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You haven't contacted them AT ALL, have you now??

Rather than posting on here you should have been getting your life organised - you asked for it, you got stung, pay up and put it down to experience ....... hopefully, next time you will get it right?

Pete

Oh, yes, High Horses and Ivory Towers ..................... my horses are all paid for and the Towers are fully paid up too - didn't miss a payment date, I get wealthy .... others .............don't!
Old 16 January 2006, 10:25 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Pete.

You know what they say about small acorns ... you must have the smallest acorns known to man!

TX.

Quick Reply: Buy now pay later ...