Sony Ericsson w800i problems?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2006, 08:16 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony Ericsson w800i problems?

Hi,
I've just got the sony ericsson w800i mobile phone but it seems to have a software problem. Everytime I connect my phone to the computer via USB to install music onto the phone's walkman it deletes most of the files (music and pictures) already installed. My receptionist has the same phone and has the same problem. Has anyone else had it? Is it a common fault or is it just coincidence we both have the same problem? Is there any easy way to fix it or do I need to exchange my phone?
Cheers, Toby
P.S. I've tried intalling music from my PC and direct from my CD's and I get the same result.
Old 15 January 2006, 09:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had the Memory stick (flash card) become inaccessible and the phone be unable to read or write any data to it. It appears that the data has been lost when you look for it on the phone.

Normally happens if I forget to click the "uplug hardware" icon on the bottom right of my PC screen to deactivate it before unplugging. But it has happened on other odd occasions.

Turn it off and back on and everything is back to normal - no lost data

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 January 2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 15 January 2006, 09:25 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Have you updated the frmware to the latest version via the SE website? This fixes many of the bugs with earlier versions. You also need to do something to the card settings via My Computer. I'll see if I can find the info and post it up.

It is a good idea not to unplug immediately after using Disc2phone, give it a few minutes and use safely disconnect hardware rather than just unplugging.

Andy.
Old 15 January 2006, 09:35 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb Ooh sounds like the same problems I encountered....

I got a W800i & the memory card seemed to have a life of its own. After a few frustrating days I took the phone back & complained. A simple reformatting on the card & not had a problem since. I was on the latest firmware so could not fix the problem this way. It might be nothing but since upgrading to the latest patches etc (on XP Pro & SP2 with latest patches) I have had no problems. Seems like it is a common problem with this phone. I kept it as I liike the walkman feature (no carrying ipod & phone no more) & the camera is not too bad.

Andy.
Old 15 January 2006, 09:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyMoody

It is a good idea not to unplug immediately after using Disc2phone, give it a few minutes and use safely disconnect hardware rather than just unplugging.

Andy.
You should right click the USB icon in the bottom right of your taskbar and click "Unplug or eject Hardware" then highlight "USB Mass Storage Device" and click "Stop".

Should do that with any flash storage or hard disk based USB device, as not doing so can corrupt them.
Old 16 January 2006, 09:20 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

been using this phone since august and had no probs, other than can't get gracenote to work on disc2phone.. which is quite annoying !!
Old 16 January 2006, 04:23 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two W800i handsets bought contract free. The only reliable way to get it to work is to use the memory card in a computer slot and transfer with disc to phone that way. Then works every time.You can use memory card reader as well. Problem seems to be with USB drivers for phone.
Old 18 January 2006, 10:22 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Go into MY COMPUTER >>> Right mouse button Select PROPERTIES of the drive which appears as your W800i memory stick >>> click on HARDWARE tab >>> Double click on the drive which is your memory stick >>> Click on POLICIES tab >>> Select lower option OPTIMIZE FOR PERFORMANCE >>> OK

Works for me before I updated to very latest firmware via SEUS.

Andy.