Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can a microwave lose power?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2006, 11:23 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Can a microwave lose power?

Got a fancy Panasonic microwave/oven combo, had it for maybe 6 years (possibly 7). Apart from having a bump when I shipped it to this country 5 years ago, it's been fine.

But now, I'm convinced that it takes things longer to cook than previously, like it's operating on Medium when it should be on High. Seems to have been just in the last few months.

Is this feasible? As opposed to it just stopping/ breaking down completely?
Old 10 January 2006, 11:25 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're just getting more impatient in your old age.

Seven years for a domestic appliance is antique status BTW, you cheapskate.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:26 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Don't know for sure but i think your right, had my microwave quite a while and it does seem to take longer to cook stuff
Old 10 January 2006, 11:27 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Ever had it cleaned/serviced??????
Bet the fan is lovely
Old 10 January 2006, 11:35 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the magnetron must degrade over time.....

...and anyway :

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1. Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2. The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

3. Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.

4. The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.

5. Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6. The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

7. Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.

8. The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

9. Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10. Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet?
Old 10 January 2006, 11:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

i cant think of the component name the (magnotron)sp i think may be failing.

given that they are now considered throwaway items

buy a new one

Mart
Old 10 January 2006, 11:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imlach
I'm sure the magnetron must degrade over time.....

...and anyway :

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1. Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2. The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

3. Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.

4. The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.

5. Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6. The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

7. Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.

8. The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

9. Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10. Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet?
What a big load of hairy testicletties.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:38 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

More concerning also with microwaves is the seals on the doors etc...they also degrade over time, causing it to drip radiation all over your kitchen floor....
Old 10 January 2006, 11:39 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
What a big load of hairy testicletties.
You think? Your proof to counteract the above?
Old 10 January 2006, 11:40 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

S'funny - about a decade ago, people got all funny about the irridiation of fruit (eg, strawberries) going into supermarkets.....

Yet, they'd happily blast their cook-chilled ready meals with huge doses of radiation in their own kitchens.

Ah, the great British public eh
Old 10 January 2006, 11:41 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

I eat lot's of microwave food (atleast 10 plus meals a week) and have done for years, so I hope that really is a load of rubbish Inmach.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:41 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

To refute the above? No.

I'm familiar with "scientific studies" and their conclusions. Post the studies and I'll look them over.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:46 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

S'funny - about a decade ago, people got all funny about the irridiation of fruit (eg, strawberries) going into supermarkets.....

Yet, they'd happily blast their cook-chilled ready meals with huge doses of radiation in their own kitchens.

Ah, the great British public eh
Don't be silly! It's a completely different kind of radiation used to irradiate food. Microwaves are from the normal electromagnetic spectrum: the one that gives us Radio 1, the colour pink, a nice tan (), and toast.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:47 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben v7
I eat lot's of microwave food (atleast 10 plus meals a week) and have done for years, so I hope that really is a load of rubbish Inmach.
OK...let's think about radiation in general.

Sources of radiation PROVEN to be damaging to humans/flesh in both the short AND long term :

- the sun
- x-ray machines
- an nuclear bomb
- nuclear power stations
- mobile phone masts
- tv microwave links

Now, given you wouldn't stick your head in a microwave, you'd probably agree that a microwave oven emits pretty strong levels of radiation, damaging to humans, yes?

.....and yet you're happy to simply believe they can't do any harm to flesh and other food you heat inside them and dismiss all other evidence out of hand?
Old 10 January 2006, 11:48 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Don't be silly! It's a completely different kind of radiation used to irradiate food. Microwaves are from the normal electromagnetic spectrum: the one that gives us Radio 1, the colour pink, a nice tan (), and toast.
Go stick your head in the microwave
Old 10 January 2006, 11:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You think? Your proof to counteract the above?

Man-*****???
Old 10 January 2006, 11:51 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Man-*****???
Leave bigsinky out of this.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:53 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

OK...let's think about radiation in general.

Sources of radiation PROVEN to be damaging to humans/flesh in both the short AND long term :

- the sun
- x-ray machines
- an nuclear bomb
- nuclear power stations
- mobile phone masts
- tv microwave links

Now, given you wouldn't stick your head in a microwave, you'd probably agree that a microwave oven emits pretty strong levels of radiation, damaging to humans, yes?

.....and yet you're happy to simply believe they can't do any harm to flesh and other food you heat inside them and dismiss all other evidence out of hand?
Equally true is the fact that infra red radiation from your toaster and grill are harmful to flesh in both short and long term, depending on exposure. Taking your reasoning to its complete logical conclusion, eating toast would cause loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:56 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Now, given you wouldn't stick your head in a microwave
Are you suggesting raw food only? I don't imagine that I would stick my head in anything capable of cooking - pot of boiling water? Harmful to human heads, so therefore damaging spuds beyond the comprehension of our science
Old 10 January 2006, 11:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Not to forget the mobile phone sitting in your pocket 4" from your crotch
Old 10 January 2006, 11:57 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Equally true is the fact that infra red radiation from your toaster and grill are harmful to flesh in both short and long term, depending on exposure. Taking your reasoning to its complete logical conclusion, eating toast would cause loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.
Of course....just felt like mixing things up a bit at this late hour with some well researched internet trawling

...anyway, which leaks more microwave radiation....that 3G phone mast 100m from your house, or the dirty old microwave in the corner of your kitchen....
Old 10 January 2006, 11:57 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Going for a run down my back garden in the absence of electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum would almost certainly result in painful injuries, possibly death.
Old 10 January 2006, 11:59 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Still, I think it is a worthy topic worth thinking about.

I could be convinced that microwaves probably do remove some of the good things from fresh veg that steaming/light boiling may not....
Old 10 January 2006, 11:59 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

We don't have a phone mast for miles, and we don't have a microwave cos it makes food taste cr4p, so it'll have to be those other things on the walls........ apparently that leaks loads of radiation
Old 11 January 2006, 12:07 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I'd bet that when your microwave is on, there's probably a magnitude more radiation in your kitchen that you're exposed to than that of any local mobile phone mast....

Still, sure things can only get worse.

In your home, you possibly have a DECT phone, a WiFi source, a mobile phone, a microwave, all pulsing away with microwave or high frequency RF blasting your body 24/7.

Got to be having some long term effect on one's cells.
Old 11 January 2006, 12:09 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Still, I think it is a worthy topic worth thinking about.

I could be convinced that microwaves probably do remove some of the good things from fresh veg that steaming/light boiling may not....

Well start your own thread then ...and let poor Brendan work out if his mircrowave is f**ked
Old 11 January 2006, 12:30 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Brendan doesn't care, it seems. He must be having toast toppers. They make a right mess of the toaster.
Old 11 January 2006, 12:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Turn it over on its side ya eejit
Old 11 January 2006, 04:42 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

The Nucleur fallout from your microwave DOES drip out on the kitchen floor.
If your kitchen is carpeted then those drips will be absorbed and eventually reach their half life.
If the floor is hard surface they will bounce around and roll untill they encounter something that absorbs them.
Do you walk to your microwave in bare feet or stockings?? If so, you are in big trouble. Those nuke particles will cause mold and stuff to grow under your toe nails and harden the soles of your feet.
Your toe nails will grow crooked and calouses (sp) will also grow on the bottom of your feet.

If you bypass the little door switch, you can operate the microwave with the door open. That spreads the little nukes more evenly around the room.
It is wise to leave the door open, with the little switch bypassed if you want to hard boil a dozen eggs. Leave them in the carton with the lid open.

I have more recipes if you are interested!!
Old 11 January 2006, 07:57 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That list has to be the most alarmist, unsubstantiated 'scientific' twaddle I've ever heard outside of a shampoo commercial. I don't suppose anyone has a link to the whole report (along with a list of who was responsible for it?)

My favourite has to be:

So, are they unknown, or are they identifed compounds whose persistence in the human body has been studied (and, presumably, which are known to be harmful in some way)?

On its own, that list of alarmist claims exists to panic the dim-witted - nothing more.

Quick Reply: Can a microwave lose power?