Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Root of all Evil??

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 08:37 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Root of all Evil??

Anyone watching this on channel 4 at the mo???

how the hell can these religious muppets believe the crap they do and be so oblivious to reality???

probably opening a can of worms here, but ffs!! can't they open their eyes??
Old 09 January 2006, 08:50 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Old 09 January 2006, 09:15 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

we are also watching this i mean wtf..... theres nothing more that can be said apart from lets let them all come and live here .......
Old 09 January 2006, 09:17 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Brilliant programme from a controversial evolutionist.

Most scary was the friend of Mr Bush!
Old 09 January 2006, 09:21 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

yep

i realise that he interviewed the extremes of each religion and doesn't represent the views of the average religious person, but there seemed to be plenty of people that are happy to be sucked into it.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gljam
yep

i realise that he interviewed the extremes of each religion and doesn't represent the views of the average religious person, but there seemed to be plenty of people that are happy to be sucked into it.
That's the problem. The 'moderate' religious people (generally the ok ones ) are shrinking yet the evangelicals and fundamentalists are growing and growing. Long term, this will lead to more war, no peace and a worse off world. Problem is, there's no real way out of it unless you have world leaders who are moderate like G Bush.................. Oh ****!
Old 09 January 2006, 10:54 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

The ironic thing is, I think, that most, if not all of the extremists are being brain washed, manipulated and exploited by their superiors for reasons other than "religion"

I think everything possible should be done to protect non-extremists, and everything should be done to seperate extremists from the religious groups they think they "represent".
Old 10 January 2006, 12:21 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Great program. Fair play to Channel 4 for putting it on. Richard Dawkins makes a very convincing argument doesn't he?
Old 10 January 2006, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He makes a very one sided argument designed to appeal to whose who are looking for an excuse for the fact that they don't want to believe in religion because it would be inconvenient to their life style. It is just so easy to lump the world's troubles on religious teachings when as ever the troubles are down to people, not the religions.

2000TL has posted the real basic reasons for trouble which is unfairly blamed ***** nilly on belief in a God.

Fundamentalists are the real problem whether they are religious or not, and these are the ones who should be sorted. It is not right to denigrate those who follow the basic teachings of their religion and lead a blameless and good life being unselfish and thinking of others before themselves.

Les
Old 10 January 2006, 01:24 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
He makes a very one sided argument designed to appeal to whose who are looking for an excuse for the fact that they don't want to believe in religion because it would be inconvenient to their life style. It is just so easy to lump the world's troubles on religious teachings when as ever the troubles are down to people, not the religions.

2000TL has posted the real basic reasons for trouble which is unfairly blamed ***** nilly on belief in a God.

Fundamentalists are the real problem whether they are religious or not, and these are the ones who should be sorted. It is not right to denigrate those who follow the basic teachings of their religion and lead a blameless and good life being unselfish and thinking of others before themselves.

Les
Fair point Les, however he was also pointing out that you do not need religion to either be a decent person or have a basic code of moral conduct, therefore would we not be better off without any form of religion? I for one (even though I am a firm none believer) see where he is coming from but am certainly not sure there is an 'everyman' type of answer that could provide the same amount of comfort and strength that current moderate religion provides.
Old 10 January 2006, 01:38 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I personally am not religious, but I can understand, and it's really quite obvious, why the majority of normal people need something to believe in.

Especially in times of need, darkness and despair.

The problems with religion stem from religion being used as an excuse. As I said the other day, look at the crusades for example. The English Christian soliders tear across continents "educating" the savages! Extremism and findamentalism are the problem, old grannies who find comfort in religion are fine by me.
Old 10 January 2006, 01:45 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
He makes a very one sided argument designed to appeal to whose who are looking for an excuse for the fact that they don't want to believe in religion because it would be inconvenient to their life style.
Les WHY do you trot this one out on EVERY religious thread. For the umpteenth time, i, and millions like me, are *perfectly* capable of leading a moral life without the need for "higher" intervention. It has NOTHING to do with convenience. Nothing. And for a third time, nothing. It has everything to do with being in independent personal control of ethics and morals as human beings. How many times does it have to be repeated before you accept it as a possibility???
Old 10 January 2006, 01:50 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

The so called 'moderates' in many parts of America, are a terrifying prospect, as he alluded, 'Christian Facism', "say hello to George Bush your spiritual and political leader here on Earth"
Old 10 January 2006, 03:05 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

IMO any form of religion just is an ancient form of controlling the general population, to provide guidence and a basic set of rules for people to follow and to instill fear in those who do not conform to this beleif system. Religion on the whole has less relevence in the modern world with scientific facts and law replacing religious ideology.
Old 10 January 2006, 03:20 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

As has been said why do you need to follow a religion to have a strong moral code? I do so, because I know the difference between right and wrong (whether that is gained through a posteriori or a priori knowledge is another matter) and not because I expect some kind of reward in an afterlife.
Old 10 January 2006, 04:23 PM
turbotroll
Scooby Regular

A lot of these people subscribe to dominion theology, kingdom now & other beliefs such as Joel's army. The aim - to take over the world in the name of God, including politically. These people are not 'fundamentalists', as their beliefs aren't at the core of Christianity. Fundamentalists don't try to change the State, prime example; Christ himself did not rail against the state, but the Sanhedrin for their blindness & hypocrisy. Christ taught to live peaceably with all men & to preach the gospel in love, not at the end of a rifle, or through over-throwing, or taking over governments. He couldn't have made it clearer by stating that his kingdom 'was not of this world'.
I know quite a lot about this subject as I was raised in a Christian home, although I'm still 'out there' as to what I believe.
In the documentary (which I missed), did Dawkins ever touch on the subject of Religion being a product of evolution?
Old 10 January 2006, 05:58 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Interesting program, but I don't think Dawkins got his point over very well.
Old 10 January 2006, 06:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Deytooooooookurrrrrgods!!

Ns04
Old 10 January 2006, 07:56 PM
popeye
Scooby Regular

The bloke was spot on but he couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag. Speaks to 2 complete idiots and gets trashed by them both.
Old 10 January 2006, 09:08 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

He raised an interesting point that no matter how devout the Muslims, Jews or Christians were, they were atheist with regard to Ra, Apollo, Thor, Aphrodite etc. Why should their God have more credibility than the Roman, Greek, Norse or Egyptian Gods?

Excellent program in my opinion and this views are very similar to mine.
Old 10 January 2006, 09:10 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by popeye
The bloke was spot on but he couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag. Speaks to 2 complete idiots and gets trashed by them both.
How can you argue against such self-rightous arrogant imbeciles? They are with God so they are right! Full stop! End of Argument!