Navman

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 12:11 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navman

Anyone upto speed on Naman satnav??

Just got an ICN 320,seems a nice little unit and works well.
Want to upgrade it a little.Speed cams/full postcode etc and im sure you can get an SD card that gives it street level mapping(like tom tom).

But i cant seem to get defo answers anywhere...

Anyone know of anyone/anywhere that i can get a preloaded SD card with bits that i want on??
Fairly sure it works on differnt system to 510/610 so card from them wont work.

TIA
Old 06 January 2006, 12:19 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FSF,

Try Navman.com, should be of some use.

I am interested in the model above, the 520, which is going at a reduced price at most autopart shops. Keep getting my wallet out to do the dirty deed then fail at the last minute.

What's your experience of the 320 so far? Its a bargain at £170.

Cheers

WB
Old 06 January 2006, 08:29 AM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Paid £150 for it from Currys and i like it,i used to have a tom tom 300 and it just seems better quality alround.

Very easy to use and feels bombproof,my tom tom went faulty 3 times in 8 months so i sold it..got sick of it..

Looked on the Navman site..A street level map is £90 from them,a little expensive and i would still have to get cam/full postcode to sort.

Have sent navman 2 e mails over xmas to try and get some answers..No reply as yet.

Would defo reccomend a 320 if you want a no frills sat nav..certainly works as good as tom tom,in fact better in some ways!! When i go on the M6 toll,i now dont look like im driving over a ploughed field!!
Old 06 January 2006, 11:57 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Cheers FSF,

I think I'm going to go for the 520 to get the street level mapping. I assume Navman were off over Xmas. Besides its a bad time to be in touch while the festive "spirit" is being quaffed!

I agree that they do look more robust and easy on the eye than the TomTom products, which I find bulky. Besides TomToms are like BMWs; everybody has one

Let us know how you get on with making contact with Navman.

Cheers bud.

WB
Old 07 January 2006, 12:18 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Cheers FSF,

I think I'm going to go for the 520 to get the street level mapping. I assume Navman were off over Xmas. Besides its a bad time to be in touch while the festive "spirit" is being quaffed!

I agree that they do look more robust and easy on the eye than the TomTom products, which I find bulky. Besides TomToms are like BMWs; everybody has one

Let us know how you get on with making contact with Navman.

Cheers bud.

WB
i got the 520, its a pretty good bit of kit. got it for 300 before xmas, its prob less now. I copied the speed-cam locations over to the device, seems to do the job ok ! and its nice + slim unlike the bmw...i mean tomtom
Old 07 January 2006, 02:00 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
i got the 520, its a pretty good bit of kit. got it for 300 before xmas, its prob less now. I copied the speed-cam locations over to the device, seems to do the job ok ! and its nice + slim unlike the bmw...i mean tomtom
Sadly Paul, you are right; its much cheaper now. I really must bite the bullet and buy this today (got to throw my sensible "do you really, really need one" head away first though).

WB

BTW I assume you copied over the speedcam sites from Navman's website?
Old 07 January 2006, 09:46 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I dont want to know how much it is now When i got it, it was an impulse purchase. OOh look theres a sat nav, ill get that rather than walking back out the shop.

I dont take it out everytime because you cant leave it in the car and for short journeys its not worth it, but its got me across the backstreets of london a few times. And slips nicely into ur back pocket.

Copied the speedcams from pocketgps world. They apparantly want to start charging now, not sure if this has become effective yet tho. hth
Old 07 January 2006, 09:52 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

this one looks better

http://g.msn.co.uk/0CPGBEN8/147238.2...P=65001&CE=l02

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/mrtsatnavjan06/
Old 07 January 2006, 10:40 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

BUY THAT MAN A BEER

Old 09 January 2006, 09:01 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Dived into a well known car accessory place this evening all set to buy the Navman 520 and....................the very well informed technician did a 1-2-1 comparison between the 520 and the new TomTom 1. Result?

Can't believe I'm saying this but the 1 was a better featured product than the 520, eg full post code entry versus partial post code entry, brighter screen, better touch sensitivity, very slim (still not quite as flat and rectangular as the 520), and other features that I'm too tired to remember.

Price for both products is identical; that's a lie, the 1 is 99p cheaper than the 520

I have come away for a rethink before taking the plunge.

Thing is I hate "BMW" type products. Will common sense prevail?

WB
Old 09 January 2006, 09:14 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

my dad has the top spec 630? iirc, he says its crap!