Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gaming Account Robbed!

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2006, 03:43 PM
maddog321
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaming Account Robbed!

my betfair account was hacked into last night and emptied of all its money by some criminal just wasting it playing poker (approx £337) and they deposited funds (with the wrong security code) succesfully and wasted that also. I have provided Betfair with the IP Address (they already had this) of the person responsible (Who i don't know personally) and they have basically said its my own fault for not securing my PC enough not to be hacked.

I have reported to the police

Can anyone help on where I stand with a) my money being lost by my betfair account being hacked into illegally when Betfair were holding my cash

b) how easy it was to deposit funds from my bank account / credit card without the correct security code

Are they responsible?
Old 04 January 2006, 03:48 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Solicitor!! Get one now!
Old 04 January 2006, 03:54 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

betfair are usually very good with complaints. get onto your bank.

it's fraud / theft, whatever you want to call it so you shouldn't be responsible.....

seems really pointless for the hacker just to blow your cash when they can play poker for free / pretend money, what a w@nker.

kick up a fuss with betfair and your bank, start talking about ombudsmen and watchdogs and if need be start contacting the banking ombudsman!
Old 04 January 2006, 03:55 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

as far as the 3 digit securit code goes, it rarely seems to matter to betfair, I've noticed lots of times that I've enteredthe wrong one online and the 'phone, still works. Defies the point.
Old 04 January 2006, 03:56 PM
maddog321
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
betfair are usually very good with complaints. get onto your bank.

it's fraud / theft, whatever you want to call it so you shouldn't be responsible.....

seems really pointless for the hacker just to blow your cash when they can play poker for free / pretend money, what a w@nker.

kick up a fuss with betfair and your bank, start talking about ombudsmen and watchdogs and if need be start contacting the banking ombudsman!
Thanks, waiting for a call back from betfair from someone with 'authority'. Will threaten that as i dont imagine a report in a paper etc would help confidence of online gamblers, if they've seen my account emptied - those with serious bucks in there account might not want to risk it.
Old 04 January 2006, 04:00 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

exactly, if you don't like what your hearing, say something like

"i know it may not be much money to you, and you may not consider me a customer that is worth keeping happy, but............"

don't throw threats about ***** nilly, but tell them that you are not happy and you will be taking legal advice as well as that of ombudsman and gambling watchdogs.........

Check out google for any watchdog org names you could slip in.

If they pay you back, get compo too! And change your password and ISP mate!
Old 04 January 2006, 04:31 PM
maddog321
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
exactly, if you don't like what your hearing, say something like

"i know it may not be much money to you, and you may not consider me a customer that is worth keeping happy, but............"

don't throw threats about ***** nilly, but tell them that you are not happy and you will be taking legal advice as well as that of ombudsman and gambling watchdogs.........

Check out google for any watchdog org names you could slip in.

If they pay you back, get compo too! And change your password and ISP mate!
Just had betfair fraud dept back on the phone - basically some child just said to me "we've looked into your query, you had better contact the police, we cannot authorise to give you your money back - good luck" he would not transfer me to anyone with authority and said he was ending the call. I phoned back and demanded to speak to a manager who was alot more helpfull and said he would personally look into this and come back to me tomorrow. Just been speaking to a person with legal expertise and basically said - they are holding your money, betfair as a company have lost that money as their security obviously isn't good enough. I can lodge a hearing at court for £50 online (if they still wont give me my money back) and says a judge will generally favour against a big company like that as the simple fact is "they were in possesion of my money and its gone"