Portable HiFi for Dancing Classes

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2006, 02:55 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable HiFi for Dancing Classes

Hi All

My Mum's ballroom dancing classes have finished and she wants to arrange practise sessions in the village hall. Need to come up with a portable sound source for this, obviously only moderate volume required but it needs to fill a fairly big room.

She was wondering about Bose stuff and the Wave system looks to fit the bill nicely, bit pricey for what it is though..? I wonder if the Denon D-M35 would be a better option although a bit less portable with bookshelf speakers rather than all built in as Bose's. Have read that the Denon speakers aren't much cop so would get Missions or whatever is recommended.

The system might well also end up replacing what she has in her lounge, we would need to get a pre-amp for turntable though. DAB from the Denon would be nice as currently have to faff with freeview radio from IDTV.

Any suggestions? I really rather like the look of the D-M35 and it's down to £233 from Empire Direct, will it be up to the job of filling this hall though? Is there another better option?

Cheers,

Ben
Old 01 January 2006, 06:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The Bose audio wave stuff really would not have the oomph to fill a hall (low efficiency coupled with lack of watts ) IMO.

Plus, audiophile-wise they are severy flawed dynamically, so sound quality/pruity although good is highly debateable to what Bose claim (most arguments are based on usage of 2" speakers for both bass, midrange and treble...can't create bass (only boom) and the 2" standard paper (£20) speaker response rolls off heavily at high frequencies.

Sorry, I was waffling a bit there...in a nutshell: Your right - It's overpriced for what it claims

What would be ideal is an huge old ghetto blaster from back in to 80's. Sadly, these days new equivelents are somewhat weedy and very boomy

The question of a Midi system is debatable - how portable does she want it? For £230 you could buy a nice seperates amp, speakers and CD player (Pioneer A109 amp, pair of small Kefs etc.) that'll fill a hall and sound nice in the lounge - problem would be lugging it about with all the wires and lack of remote etc.
Old 05 January 2006, 11:03 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Ali, sorry for my delayed reply I've been away for a few days. She said the old teachers' system was an 80s style ghetto blaster, that would be ideal if anyone still makes something similar. It needs to be pretty easily portable really as she'll have to move it there and home again every week, seperates would be too much hassle - even a midi system with seperate speakers would be a bit of a pain but would at least be suitable for the lounge.