Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

has anyone done the 'RaceMaster' day at brands hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2005, 12:24 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone done the 'RaceMaster' day at brands hatch?

just been looking at their site and this looks like an ideal birthday present

wondering if anyone has done it on here and what sort of experience it was?

looks awesome, but sometimes these things don't quite turn out as good as you expect.

ta
Old 23 December 2005, 06:04 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

okay, anyone heard of someone who's done it?
Old 23 December 2005, 08:18 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I did a similar thing in those single seater cars, great fun but ultimately incredibly frustrating. The engines are race prepared but de-tuned. The chuffing things still need about 3,500 just to pull away but the rev limit is set at 4,000. If you hit the limit you get black flagged.

I have a theory that even in the wet you can just cruis around at 3,800 rpm and NEVER brake in the things if you get your line right.
Old 24 December 2005, 11:33 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
I did a similar thing in those single seater cars, great fun but ultimately incredibly frustrating. The engines are race prepared but de-tuned. The chuffing things still need about 3,500 just to pull away but the rev limit is set at 4,000. If you hit the limit you get black flagged.

I have a theory that even in the wet you can just cruis around at 3,800 rpm and NEVER brake in the things if you get your line right.

A friend of mine did this very thing a number of years ago. He managed to find the one car with a broken Rev limiter.

Whats the point in going to a race track and being limited in speed. Sure it may teach the best lines in a corner, but VERY few people will be doing this and expecting to go racing straight away, its just meant to be for fun. I get the impresion Brands are the tightest for rules as well.

If you are serious about going racing do the Silverstone week long ARDS course. Costs about £2,5K or so. And you get a licence at the end of it.
Old 24 December 2005, 02:23 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww

Whats the point in going to a race track and being limited in speed. Sure it may teach the best lines in a corner, but VERY few people will be doing this and expecting to go racing straight away, its just meant to be for fun. I get the impresion Brands are the tightest for rules as well.
i've heard this aswell which is what's giving me 2nd thoughts.

years ago my sister and brother in law went around brands (back in the XR3i days!) and although my mate went round quicker than my sister and was complimented on the driving, he got a lower mark because he went over the max revs they stipulate unlike his brother that flew round the track, ignored all the warnings from the instructor and got a mark of about 20% had the biggest grin on his face though!

anyone else? tbh if the restrictions on speed/revs sound like it'll spoil the day i may have to look into other things.

ta