Bliar gives up £8bn

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2005, 10:13 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Bliar gives up £8bn

Good old tony blair you can always rely on him to come up with the goods. this would be better off going towards sorting out the pension shambles

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/17122005/14...-giveaway.html
Old 17 December 2005, 11:14 AM
Martin_Aimless
Scooby Regular

Location: Weapons are like money; no one knows the meaning of enough. M.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Disgraceful. This is the direct result of weak leadership.

In a less apathetic country with a decent opposition he would be called upon to resign.

M.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

How long before the Blair fan club turns up and tells us this is a good thing!

So this is a good thing?
" Tony Blair has insisted the latest EU budget deal - in which he gave away almost £8bn - has secured Europe's economic future. He has said it will provide vital new funding for the latest, and poorest, EU members.On Friday he sacrificed an extra £2.7bn from Britain's rebate on top of £5.5bn he had already surrendered.

Mr Blair had gambled on a French commitment to give up lavish farm subsidies in return - but that did not happen.

The final deal let French president Jacques Chirac off with just a promise of a farm spending review in 2008 - and no risk to Paris of losing its Common Agricultural Policy handouts before at least 2014.

Before leaving Brussels Mr Blair said: "This is an agreement that allows Europe to move forward.

"It allows us to demonstrate the right solidarity with the new member states. For those of us who have championed enlargement of the European Union this is an important point."

sold out at home - sold out in europe
Old 17 December 2005, 11:26 AM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

i don't know much about politics but i know tony blair is an absolute w@nker
Old 17 December 2005, 11:29 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Things are already looking less than rosy in the economy at home, how the **** he can give up £8bn over the next 4 years he should be strung up for this
Old 17 December 2005, 11:38 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I'm not a member of the Blair fan club, but I can see why a deal was needed both politically and economically. To be seen as the stumbling block for a deal being reached would undoubtedly have harmed our interests in Europe massively. The amount of money we're talking about is a tiny tiny fraction of public spending, and is likely to be offset by increased levels of trade with new EU members as their economies develop anyway.

Gary.
Old 17 December 2005, 11:43 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by GCollier
I'm not a member of the Blair fan club, but I can see why a deal was needed both politically and economically. To be seen as the stumbling block for a deal being reached would undoubtedly have harmed our interests in Europe massively. The amount of money we're talking about is a tiny tiny fraction of public spending, and is likely to be offset by increased levels of trade with new EU members as their economies develop anyway.

Gary.
how much of this cash will be swallowed up in the cap juggernaut though? what has blair actually achieved apart from giving the cash away, and getting some of the eastern bloc members to reduce the amount of aid they recieve. Whilst the french get away with doing **** all

Trending Topics

Old 17 December 2005, 11:59 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that was a shock , i hope that all the dimwits that put labour back in power are proud to have a lying sack of sh*t in charge !!
Old 17 December 2005, 12:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
well that was a shock , i hope that all the dimwits that put labour back in power are proud to have a lying sack of sh*t in charge !!

Have no fear, the 'dimwits' will be along shortly to explain how we are all wrong and Blair is doing a sterling job
Old 17 December 2005, 12:12 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus
Thumbs down

I don't see the French giving up any of their enormous farming subsidies. The ones that Blair lied they would have to before we gave up *any* of our rebate.

Because of Blair the whole of the EU, led by the French, is once again laughing at Britain.
Old 17 December 2005, 12:17 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
how much of this cash will be swallowed up in the cap juggernaut though? what has blair actually achieved apart from giving the cash away, and getting some of the eastern bloc members to reduce the amount of aid they recieve. Whilst the french get away with doing **** all
From what I understand, the cash plugs a budget gap needed for investment in new eastern european member states after enlargement of the EU.

If you look at net EU contributions as a percentage of gross national income, I think this will now put us on a par with France. Without sundering any rebate, the UK would have been contributing a relatively tiny amount of money for one of the wealthiest in the EU. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4721307.stm has some interesting background.

What has been achieved? Massive damage limitation with respect to relationships with other EU states. A thorough review of spending on the CAP, although realistically I doubt much will change here until 2014.

Gary.
Old 17 December 2005, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yet another example of Billy handing our cash away in a vain effort to enhance his own standing in the Eu. Like the rest of his sorry organisation he is scraping the barrel to try to con us into believing that his leadership is shining out like a star in the sky (some hopes!) and that he has made enormous strides which will benefit us in the future!

France won't give up any of their enormous sums from the CAP of course-there is no binding agreement for them to do so, just to look at it in due time.

Once again he has been conned by the Eu, which we must not forget, is the organisation whose annual accounts have not yet been accepted by their own auditing committee for the last eleven years! Someone is taking the **** and having a laugh at this country's expense alright!

Maggie would have told them to take a running jump, since she at the very least supported her own country.

Les
Old 17 December 2005, 12:30 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

From what I understand, the cash plugs a budget gap needed for investment in new eastern european member states after enlargement of the EU.

If you look at net EU contributions as a percentage of gross national income, I think this will now put us on a par with France. Without sundering any rebate, the UK would have been contributing a relatively tiny amount of money for one of the wealthiest in the EU. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4721307.stm has some interesting background.

What has been achieved? Massive damage limitation with respect to relationships with other EU states. A thorough review of spending on the CAP, although realistically I doubt much will change here until 2014.

Gary.
Hmmm
The french farming subsidies run to £7bn per year so over the three years we loose £8bn in those three years the French will gain £21bn in subsidies if they do not give them up Blair said that he would not give up or subsidies unless the French did, he lied or just bent over as usual. If the french do not givbe them up then what do we do - write then a strong letter! French farmers are not know for their tollerance of people interferring with their business now are they!
still not seeing a huge benefit to us.

Last edited by The Zohan; 17 December 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 17 December 2005, 12:42 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

.... I can see why a deal was needed both politically and economically. To be seen as the stumbling block for a deal being reached would undoubtedly have harmed our interests in Europe massively.
Gary.
This is spouted a lot, but HOW exactly would it harm our interests? You mean the French would stop buying our meat? We would stop getting the farming subsidy? Right. And if you say we would lose political influence, I'll just have to laugh until I pass out....
Old 17 December 2005, 12:44 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up A voice of reason

Gary.
Well said Gary. A rare voice of reason in NSL. To the rest of you - hope you enjoy yet another anti NL circle jerk - what Blair did was most certainly in Europe's best interests, but probably not in those of the British taxpayer. This is why he is considered a world statesman. I pay taxes in Holland btw and the Dutch government is 1Bn Euros a year better off. So well done Tony!! Suresh
Old 17 December 2005, 12:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Well said Gary. A rare voice of reason in NSL. To the rest of you - hope you enjoy yet another anti NL circle jerk - what Blair did was most certainly in Europe's best interests, but probably not in those of the British taxpayer. This is why he is considered a world statesman. I pay taxes in Holland btw and the Dutch government is 1Bn Euros a year better off. So well done Tony!! Suresh

'Anti Labour circle jerk' - hmm, i thought you where smarter than that - poor response is it not

'what Blair did was most certainly in Europe's best interests, but probably not in those of the British taxpayer' - We voted Blair in we pay his salary he should have our best interests at heart first and foremost - Europe second!

'This is why he is considered a world statesman. ' He got us involved with a unjust and potentially illegal war and lied to us over the 45min threat amongst other things - hardly worldclass more a moonumental **** up and if he had any pride he would have resigned in shame - but not the Labour way is it

also he said that he would not give up our subsidy unless the French did thiers - well he backed down from Chirac over this and let us down and made himself look weak - Hardly world class again.

Suresh - a lot of people are sick of Labours let downs and false promises. I voted for New Labour the first time around as i saw them as a good alternative to a corrupt and failing Tory government.

Sadly i feel Blair and New Labour have let me and a lot of other people down.
Old 17 December 2005, 03:57 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Exactly, this is probably great news for frogs and cloggers who'll end up chipping in less thanks to Bliars generosity on our behalf ..

Seems its not only immigrants who see the UK and its government as a soft touch
Old 17 December 2005, 04:14 PM
Slartibartfast
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Whatever 'NSL' is.

So even the traitorous son of an immigrant has to admit the Blair has sold the British down the river.
Old 17 December 2005, 04:19 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default lul

Originally Posted by Slartibartfast

So even the traitorous son of an immigrant
Sorry what are you trying to say?
Go on spit it out. Racist scum.

Last edited by Suresh; 18 December 2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 17 December 2005, 05:56 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Too many people on this forum are reeled in like fish by the press, and come on here ranting uninformed claptrap without even reading past the first emotive headline.

I certainly don’t support everything the EU stands for, but go look at the trade figures and after the US see who all our main trading partners are. Yes, that’s right they’re all EU countries. £1billion a year is a drop in the ocean in comparison, and should be recouped easily as trading partnerships with Eastern European countries grow after investment in modernisation and infrastructure. Unfortunately statistics such as (say) £20billion/annum of exports to Germany aren’t as interesting to the red-mist brigade.

The UK has been an advocate of EU expansion for these as well as other reasons. This needs to be paid for, and to avoid hypocrisy the UK needs to invest its fair share of money. Despite the impression you might get from reading NSR, we have one of the strongest economies in the EU. Without making any concessions on the rebate, the UK’s net percentage per capita contribution would fall substantially behind (to I think 9th overall) a large number of other countries over the budget period in question.

So if you look at the facts instead of immediately starting ranting, it’s pretty clear why every other European leader has been putting pressure on the UK to give ground on the rebate. It’s also clear that we’ve not been shafted by Blair on this issue as some of the blinkered on here would like to believe.

Gary.
Old 17 December 2005, 06:16 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

so if gordon brown has budgeted for that 1 billion we are ok , but if not we are a billion down , and who is going to end up paying it eh ?? i don't know about you but i am sick and tired of paying taxes ! oh yes ! { our council tax goes up again , for less and less amenities !} but you are missing the point , this rebate bussiness is just another f**k the public issue ! apart from the fact that mr bliar lied to the whole country about it in april !!
Old 17 December 2005, 06:47 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I just do not understand why i a british Tax payer should have to work longer hours to pay the extra tax so a french farmer can work less hours because of money given to him by the EU? or why i should have my Taxes used to build a motorway in Poland when i spend 4-5 hours a day stuck in traffic because we cant afford to build more roads here?

If they need money well lend it to them same as i have to borrow if i need money!

This thing about what is better for Europe being important that isnt the case that it benefits us as a country we dont need all this federal approach to europe it is suppose to be a trading partnership.

Also why is the CAP allowed to exist escapes me in many ways we would be much better of if we with draw from much of this and just stick to the original purpose of the treaty of Rome.

Who cares that how contribution would be 9th? the purpose of Blairs job is to get us the best deal which would be the lowest contributer with the most out! a bit like the Spanish and French who get as much out of it for as little put in as possible.
Old 17 December 2005, 06:51 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Maggie Thatcher realised that the rebate would have to be given up sooner or later - she said so herself.

The EU has expanded ...... we have everything, others have nothing - give up your remaps at £700 a pop and give it to an Eastern European family so they can have heat!!

You selfish bunch of Tories ...................

You only have all your wealth because New Labour made it so!!!

Pete
Old 17 December 2005, 07:02 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by pslewis
Maggie Thatcher realised that the rebate would have to be given up sooner or later - she said so herself.

The EU has expanded ...... we have everything, others have nothing - give up your remaps at £700 a pop and give it to an Eastern European family so they can have heat!!

You selfish bunch of Tories ...................

You only have all your wealth because New Labour made it so!!!

Pete
actually ithink we earned our own wealth despite new labour not because of these low life scum bags. Next time your grandad is put on a 6 month waiting list for cancer treatment that he has worked and paid for all through his life. You can sleep easy knowing some eastern block family is warm in toasty at home with their cheap vodka
Old 17 December 2005, 07:33 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

ahhh red pete speaks !!
Old 17 December 2005, 08:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
actually ithink we earned our own wealth despite new labour not because of these low life scum bags. Next time your grandad is put on a 6 month waiting list for cancer treatment that he has worked and paid for all through his life. You can sleep easy knowing some eastern block family is warm in toasty at home with their cheap vodka
If it was my Grandad I would pay for his treatment if I felt that strongly about it .................... I assume you have all chipped in to help??

Pete
Old 17 December 2005, 08:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
ahhh pete speaks sense!!
Indeedy ....... well, someone has to!!

Pete
Old 18 December 2005, 01:35 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

I have to turn the channels over know if i see blair on the news as it so much turns my stomach and agitates me to see that w4nker on telly-i remember at work a good few months back when all this EU re bate first made news saying you watch billy boy give it away-despite what he says now -and lo and behold he does-that pratt couldn't sell a condom in a brothel-i think he spent x amount of days there ****ing up our position then another x amount of days letting his spin doctors come up with a good excuse for the camera's as to why he bent over backwards-that thing i wont even use word man to describe him-is an utter liability to the country and words fail to describe him to me-my blood boils at sight of him if im honest-only reason he aint been shot yet is cos prescott would take over? the words useless and fat ******* spring to mind-excuse me got to sign off my blood boils now
Old 18 December 2005, 02:05 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

You wanna read this to see how the true figure is closer to £100bn over 7 years

http://burningourmoney.blogspot.com/...us-100-bn.html
Old 18 December 2005, 02:57 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Th EU is a fat bloated ba5tard of overspending and underdelivery. 40 odd % of which is directly given to the "Common Agricnutrical Policy" ie the garlic munching sheep burners.

I say, Reduce our rebate to zero, Reduce our input to Zero -
Let the Lazy Fat Euro ***** sort themselves out for once. Can't see it happening though - The Sausage Suckers will descend into goosestepping, the garlic munchers will default to shrugging and the greaseback surrender monkies will, well, just surrender...

Time for us to get the Empire back - Things worked when we ran it all - Now look at it

Quick Reply: Bliar gives up £8bn