Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you speed to overtake

can you do 70 in a 60 when overtaking?
Old 11 December 2005, 07:44 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

on a similar note.

Was on a dual carriage way yesterday, well know by the mobile speed camera vans. Anyway, was in the outside lane, doing 50 ( 50 limit ) and a long line of cars were in lane 1. My exit was coming up and i was really stuffed as to how I could get in lane 1. Do I speed up, open my self up to a potential NIP in the post, or slow down in lane 2, and risk a dozing driver rear ending me. I ended up giving it a quick stab of throttle, and squeezing into a gap. Anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 11 December 2005, 07:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

in a nutshell No.

you shouldnt need to speed, if the other traffic is following or observing the correct sped limit.

got tagged by a scamvan have we..

i did, and heard nothing!!!!! i overtook right and as i cam out passed the car,

lo and behold scam van on the otherside of the road..

heard nothing though

MaRT
Old 11 December 2005, 07:47 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

No. If the limit is 60 that is as fast as you can legally go. No exceptions.
Old 11 December 2005, 07:50 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
in a nutshell No.

you shouldnt need to speed, if the other traffic is following or observing the correct sped limit.

got tagged by a scamvan have we..

i did, and heard nothing!!!!! i overtook right and as i cam out passed the car,

lo and behold scam van on the otherside of the road..

heard nothing though

MaRT
yes afraid so, i remember it too just as i was over taking
Old 11 December 2005, 09:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine got done for exactly this. Following a lorry doing 40 on a 60 country road. Saw a safe gap and pulled out, passed, pulled back in and resumed at 60mph. About 2 minutes later he sees a copper showing blues frantically passing the cars behind him which had also managed to get past the lorry and when they get behind my mate signal him to pull over. They'd been parked up with a laser on the lookout, and my mate did his manoevre at the wrong moment. He has no idea what speed he got up to during the overtake, but the sensible argument is that the quicker it is performed, then the safer it will be for everyone. The copper said they clocked him at 90 and he would have to go to court. They weren't interested in his safety argument, the fact that they had followed him for some time and were able to observe his excellent driving and road manners or his resumption of the posted limit. They just wanted to hammer a bloke in a 400bhp Evo And they wonder why nobody likes them
Old 11 December 2005, 09:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Speeding is speeding....this is the draconian laws we have to live by. No ifs no buts, no grey areas, speeding is speeding

So if you overtake an artic doing 50mph on a single carriageway and do 60mph, your perfectly legal....but you take ages to overtake, putting yourself and others at risk...and everyone wonders why nobody overtakes no more

Me I overtake as fast as possible with teh pedal to the metal. Touching over 100 on some many occasions (and that was a transit ).

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2005, 01:00 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I 'sped' up from 20mph to about 35mph on a 2 lane one way street where I work a few years ago to get past a line of traffic...

I only saw the police when I went past, but had already touched the brakes to slow down...

they followed at a visibly but discreet distance for about 2.5 miles, followed me into the private road where my company is and pulled me over.

Seeing as I was dressed in jeans ( it was a dress-down day) I don't think they quite believed I worked there

After a few questions about who the car belonged to etc etc, they gave me a producer and that was it...

apart from the p*ss taking I had when I got into work and found most of the office had seen my ticking off by Mr Plod
Old 12 December 2005, 01:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The simple answer is that you may not exceed the posted speed limit, and that includes during overtaking. The Police would say that if you needed to break the speed limit to overtake then you should not have carried out the manoeuvre.

Les
Old 12 December 2005, 02:04 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Well....A couple of weeks ago I took my motorcycle test (and passed). I was told by my instructors when overtaking a series of vehicles, be it on a dual carriageway or motorway, examiners currently expect and want to see a brisk, positive and confident maneuver. ie if traffic is moving at 65mph with a 70mph speed limit the examiner expects to see you overtake at 75 and even 80mph. On my test this situation did arise I did near 80mph when overtaking a series of 4 vehicles before moving back into the left lane. Students have been failed here in Devon for maneuvering too slowly.
I passed. No comments were made by the examiner about this and I was not marked down for it.
Interesting eh?
Old 12 December 2005, 02:08 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wakeboardar
can you do 70 in a 60 when overtaking?
what a strange question !! i can imagine trying to use that in court
Old 12 December 2005, 02:23 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andrewdelvard
Well....A couple of weeks ago I took my motorcycle test (and passed). I was told by my instructors when overtaking a series of vehicles, be it on a dual carriageway or motorway, examiners currently expect and want to see a brisk, positive and confident maneuver.
This used to be the case with the IAM who would have encouraged a motorist to use all the available performance in order to spend the minimum amount of time exposed to danger. They have since changed their position such that they now declare that if you have to exceed the speed limit to overtake then it is not safe to do so. Of course in one respect this is true as in recent times we have seen the various anti-motorist organisations keen to limit the HGV speeds to 40mph and we have also seen them keen to place cameras in the middle of suitable overtaking straights. So, yes, overtaking in excess of the posted limit is indeed dangerous to both your wallet and your license.

Evidence from roads such as the A9 Perth - Inverness would seem to indicate that since the increased enforcement of the 40mph HGV limit and the positioning of cameras in areas suitable for safe overtaking head on collisions have increased. Any motorist with some common sense will not be surprised by this but they might be annoyed that they are being exposed to more danger by groups of people who often proudly state that they don't have driving licenses and they only cycle or use public transport. These anti-motoring nutters are literally killing motorists for their own enjoyment and to bolster their own egos.
Old 12 December 2005, 07:00 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
So if you overtake an artic doing 50mph on a single carriageway and do 60mph, your perfectly legal....but you take ages to overtake, putting yourself and others at risk...and everyone wonders why nobody overtakes no more
Odd that in this case, the car would be perfectly legal, but the speeding lorry doesn't get a ticket

I remember the A40 being a complete nightmare for overtaking - on more than a few occasions I've seen a safe place to overtake traffic going slower than the posted limit, only to notice a camera and aborted.
Lets face it, when you go to overtake, you just want to get past as quickly as possible, eyes on the road and all around to ensure everything is safe. Who's going to keep an eye on their speedo to check their speed at this most vulnerable of moments????
Old 12 December 2005, 11:37 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

No, it is a totally irrefutable fact that "Speed Kills".
I'm surprised we can all breathe at the heady speed of 70 mph.
Bring back the man with the red flag I say.
Old 12 December 2005, 11:48 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Odd that in this case, the car would be perfectly legal, but the speeding lorry doesn't get a ticket
LOL good to see someone noticed, that's the beauty of Speed cameras and their impartiality!
Old 13 December 2005, 10:00 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlightMan
on a similar note.

Was on a dual carriage way yesterday, well know by the mobile speed camera vans. Anyway, was in the outside lane, doing 50 ( 50 limit ) and a long line of cars were in lane 1. My exit was coming up and i was really stuffed as to how I could get in lane 1. Do I speed up, open my self up to a potential NIP in the post, or slow down in lane 2, and risk a dozing driver rear ending me. I ended up giving it a quick stab of throttle, and squeezing into a gap. Anyone else had a similar experience?
by the letter of the law you should have planned ahead and seen the junction you wanted and already be in the lane 1. The fact you aren't would mean if it is not safe to get into lane 1 within the speed limit you should miss your junction.. 99% of the population wouldn't have done that though..lol
Old 13 December 2005, 10:43 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

I overtook some twit in a 30mph zone this morning because he was driving 20 and I quite simply don't have the patience to drive like Miss Daisy early in the morning (or at any other time in fact). He started speeding up as I executed my overtake, but his small Opel "sh1tbox" was no match for a Forester on boost. I was doing 50 when i had finished overtaking and gently applied the brakes to slow back down.

So I broke the speed limit overtaking then.

He then proceeded to try to road rage me for the next few miles and sat right up my chuff in a 50 zone - despite him not being able to keep up with the traffic in a 30 zone. What a banana!

Suresh
Old 13 December 2005, 04:38 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

I got pulled over and a talking to (but let off) by a bike cop on the Cat & Fiddle. I was in my car, following an old duffer in a Merc doing 40mph in a 50.

Big gap came, I knew the bike cop was behind me, so I was careful not to exceed 55mph on the speedo at any point during my very gentle overtaking manoeuver.

Cop still leapt after me, pulled me and tried to imply I didn't know he was behind me, and did I know it was a 50mph limit etc etc.

I pointed out I knew he was there, I did not exceed 55mph on the speedo, the road was completely clear so no risk to other traffic etc.

This deflated him a bit but I still got a few minutes of lecturing before he p1ssed off.

The moral is: don't expect flexibility from cameras OR live police.
Old 14 December 2005, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Andrewdelvard,

Good to see that the examiners are prepared to use their common sense about overtaking, of course it is better to overtake quickly rather then stay on the right for ages at the posted speed limit because these days it is not long before another vehicle appears coming the other way anyway.

In these mindless times of course, the speed limit will be quoted at you by the authorities if only for a chance to extract even more cash for the Exchequer.

Les