Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Christening's, what a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2005, 06:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Christening's, what a PITA

I really hate going to christenings, a church full of people, mainly under 5 all wailing and F*cking about, having to retreive brats and listen to religous drivel, all that candle symbolism, that not allowing for actually getting there, my wife thinks satnav is a waste of money so the journey was fraught, my brother in law rang (along with her mother, father and other brother) to ask if we were lost, my wife answered that we were fine and then lost track of where we were and ended up f*cking lost, Grrrr, me getting well ratty and stressed, eventually found the place and got looks for being late.

After the service (an hour or more) a 30 minute drive back to their place, a farm type thing, gets out, nice suit, brand new shoes into a quagmire, the kids proceed to get covered in **** (literally they have all manner of farmyard creatures) and my father in law proceeds to get **** faced, well too much to drive anyway, so he comes looking for me as he knows I dont drink during the days and wants to score a lift, fair enough, he sweetens the deal by offering me his old Sat Nav gear for nowt (new car has a built in unit), then we spent three hours standing round eating cake and sipping tea whilst the kids get covered in ****, someones brat kicks a football to me, covered in mud it hits me just so it covers my pants and my jacket in mud the little ******, so its mud encrusted brats outside and small little sqealing, pant-pooping pink ones inside, I did the only decent thing and spent an hour or so chatting with Doris the pig and her brood, very intelligent creatures pigs, they were well impresssed with my Nokia N70.

Anyway, Christenings, what a F*cking waste of a Sunday that could have involved getting on my mountain bike, all manner of outstanding DIY tasks, XBox abuse, telly but no we have to welcome a baby to the church that if she has any sense she wont ever go to.
Old 11 December 2005, 06:29 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had a good day Jacko?
Old 11 December 2005, 06:30 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a funny story. I also don't understand the hypocracy when people who never go to church bother to have their children christened. I'll let my kid decide for himself if he wants religion when he's old enough. If he wants to get himself baptised or whatever, then that will be his choice.

I tend to fall asleep in churches if the religious bit of the ceremony goes on for more than 15 minutes....

Suresh
Old 11 December 2005, 06:31 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Hmmm recommended then
Old 11 December 2005, 06:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Dave, that would be a negative, must say my bro in law and his missus put a lot of effort into it and I feel a bit mean but I do really hate these do's with a passion, didnt help that a relative put me at 'about 40', I am only just 35 and not at all wrinkly !
Old 11 December 2005, 06:48 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

It makes me laugh when people have their kids christened, they never ever go to church and think its the *right* thing to do when will people realise its a religeous thing and not a trend

Just like christmas......go onto any council estate and ask the kids what christmas is about and they will say presents!! OMFG do they actually know!!! I expect they will know who ronald the paedophile mc donald is rather than jesus christ
Old 11 December 2005, 06:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I must admit that we got our three christened, however, in my defence this was my wife's idea as being a bloke I would not have thought of it, nowadays being older and more opionated I would have said no, I may have compromised on a bit of a party/naming ceremony but no religous involvement whatsover, this however was when I was still ambivalent towards religion, now that I am fully paid up born again atheist I wouldnt have gone along with it.

Christmas is just a bit of a distraction from the fact that by and large, winter is a **** time of year by having a **** AND expensive/stressful time of year to take your mind of it, Humbug and all that, I do kind of enjoy it, seeing the kids open their huge mound of random crap they dont need, the turkey dinner is the best bit, starve myself for three days !

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2005, 06:59 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Another reason im glad im single! Still have nightmares about the ex in-laws.
Old 11 December 2005, 07:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My in laws are by and large ok, they like boozing but tend to argue to much and the old fella misbehaves outrageously sometimes when p1ssed !
Old 11 December 2005, 07:06 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Would have all be fine if they had had the sense to have the event in the summer
Old 11 December 2005, 07:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yep, the previous one have benn summer, dont think the baby would have cared, last time they barbecued one of the piggy-wigs, was Very nice !