Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Yet another speeding thread - 81mph on m25

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2005, 12:07 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Yet another speeding thread - 81mph on m25

I was on the M25 last night between the A3 and M40 section past all of the cameras so I set the cruise control to 84mph giving me a genuine 81 mph on gps. I was going through the gantrys as normal but passing one the camera went off I have previously seen other people fly through there and I thought that I was travelling very slowly at only 11mph over the limit (yes I know I was speeding) but I was shocked that it went off

Is this a record on the motorway? I haven't heard of someone being "done" for only 81mph before.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:12 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your a criminal in the eyes of the law and should be hang drawn an quartered at the very least......

failing that sign here for your contibution towards the next scamera.....
Old 11 December 2005, 12:16 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've already packed my bags for the long stretch inside
Old 11 December 2005, 12:16 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got to ask the question why you didn't set your Cruise for something a bit lower, like 75. You did it to yourself.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:18 AM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

I've never been a big fan of cruise, it takes away any sense of acceleration.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:20 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

just because that's where it landed to be honest and I thought that was plenty slow enough. I didn't do it deliberately, I just wanted to ensure that my speed didn't drift well over the limit.

What a waste of time
Old 11 December 2005, 12:23 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arctic Chill
I've never been a big fan of cruise, it takes away any sense of acceleration.
I normally love it because my company car (what I was driving yesterday) because it's so big, quickish and quiet it's just so easy to be doing licence loosing speeds without any intention to do so I stick it on cruise to avoid this happening normally. In my scoob I drive very slowly (70-80mph) on the motorway because it feels right.

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2005, 12:24 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Wait and see. 81mph "actual" speed is enough for them to bother to prosecute (10% +3mph IIRC).
Old 11 December 2005, 12:26 AM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

You will be taken roughly from your home and stoned in the town square for being the highly dangerous criminal you are.
Meanwhile, a convicted drug dealer in my home town was in the paper after getting a grand total of 100 hours community service.
YOU are the menace.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:30 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Arctic Chill
You will be taken roughly from your home and stoned in the town square for being the highly dangerous criminal you are.
Meanwhile, a convicted drug dealer in my home town was in the paper after getting a grand total of 100 hours community service.
YOU are the menace.
Time to hand in my resignation to the webmaster I think a mod with a criminal record doesn't look good
Old 11 December 2005, 12:33 AM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

In all honestly, if you were stopped by a cop you probably would have received a verbal warning and no more for that kind of speed.
I don't know what would happen with a camera, they may send you a written caution for your speed, or they may prosecute. If so, 3 points.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:49 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Time to hand in my resignation to the webmaster I think a mod with a criminal record doesn't look good

you are going to have to get a job as a politician instead now.

btw - set cruise for speed limit +10% +2mph. FB - nil points
Old 11 December 2005, 01:00 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

.......that should be 10%+2mph-8% for speedo inaccuarcy if you don't have gps

Or -10% if yo' have 19" shizzle whizzles.
Old 11 December 2005, 01:04 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ALi-B
.......that should be 10%+2mph-8% for speedo inaccuarcy if you don't have gps
The 10%+2mph is the allowance they give you for speedo inaccuracy. After that they know you know you were speeding
Old 11 December 2005, 01:14 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

79 in a 70 is the threshold for doing you in most police force areas.
You may get offered a speed awareness course as an alternative to the fixed penalty, I don't know which police force area you were in so it's hard to say for certain.
Old 11 December 2005, 01:18 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

10% + 2mph are APCO guidelines but they can do you for anything over the posted limit.

Paul

Remember I had a similar thread a month or so back about 44 in a roadworks 40 & double flash? Well no NIP came through so you may be lucky simillarly

The other thing that springs to mind is that those cameras are digital AND they don't flash, so what did? How many flashes? It may have been reflected light off something else. Also, I'm not aware of anyone being NIP'd when the normal motorway speed limit applies, only when the reduced mandatory limit is.
Old 11 December 2005, 01:22 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

81mph does seem too low.

I've heard that you have to be travelling at 90+ for them to trigger on the M25. I've been told about and seen faulty ones along that stretch, literally flashing almost everything - could be the case.

If it has been set that low they will have 'done' tens of thousands of cars given average speeds along there. In which case I'd be surprised if you recieve a ticket. They will be swamped with getting them out within the time limit and will more than likely ignore the more minor cases.
Old 11 December 2005, 01:47 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I don't see why they don't just set them for 71. They would make a massive fortune for the first month and then everyone would slow down
Old 11 December 2005, 03:20 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I was done with my cruise set at 84 on the A31 mate (even thought the filth claimed I was doing over 100 LMAO!) Fingers crossed nothing comes through in the next couple of weeks!
Old 11 December 2005, 07:38 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Paul

I have noticed that the gantries on the M25 in the last couple of weeks seem to be going off alot more. Maybe they have adjusted the tolerance (due to weather - nah maybe not !!) on them. I had one flash at me at 0130h yesterday morning and my ambitious speedo in the Leon was reading about 85 (81 by GPS). That was the second gantriy after they start at the M40 junction coming anticlockwise.

Dave
Old 11 December 2005, 08:21 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

you are a menace to all those empty roadworks, cones and hedgehogs everywhere on the m25. blimey, imagine if you had been let onto the deserted m40 and caused more havoc

lock you up !!
Old 11 December 2005, 08:57 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

All you can do is wait and see. The limit is at a stupid level there is no reason it couldnt be at 100Mph if the conditions are right.
Old 11 December 2005, 09:10 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

20 Million to the treasury every year, of course its all about road safety NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as our great chancellor has made certain errors in his budgeting it will only get worse, still deaths & serious injuries are not falling.

We need more police on the roads to concentrate on poor driving, not just speed but they just arent there, next time your out at night count how many cars you see with defective lights but they dont get stopped because theres no one out there to do it.

Yesterday I drove well in excess of the limit on a clear road yet last night I had a close encounter with what I thought was a motorbike that turned into a car as it got closer & we met in one of those great traffic calming road narrowing things they insist on putting into the roads.

Still thats the great world we live in, roll on the revolution or my house on the continent

Last edited by Stuart J; 11 December 2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:47 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
The other thing that springs to mind is that those cameras are digital AND they don't flash, so what did? How many flashes? It may have been reflected light off something else. Also, I'm not aware of anyone being NIP'd when the normal motorway speed limit applies, only when the reduced mandatory limit is.
It was one of the little gatso thingies on the gantries and it double flashed It caught my eye and I saw the 2nd flash in my mirror
Old 11 December 2005, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The motorway speedlimit should be raised to an official 85 MPH anyway.

Les
Old 11 December 2005, 01:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I was on the M25 last night between the A3 and M40 section past all of the cameras so I set the cruise control to 84mph giving me a genuine 81 mph on gps. I was going through the gantrys as normal but passing one the camera went off I have previously seen other people fly through there and I thought that I was travelling very slowly at only 11mph over the limit (yes I know I was speeding) but I was shocked that it went off

Is this a record on the motorway? I haven't heard of someone being "done" for only 81mph before.

I know of someone being done in Northampton from one of the bridges at get this 74MPH!

I got done for 43 on a 40 as well.

It is all about money first and saftey is the given reason
Old 11 December 2005, 01:04 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Speeding is an absolute offence, it doesnt matter that if you are 1 or 11 mph over the limit. If you take it as far as the summons stage, the camera partnership dont get any of your fine, well worth it for that point alone.

I take it that the limit was 70mph at not a temporary lower limit? - if so points 3 and fine £60+ court costs £35-£45

www.pepipoo.com

Andy
Old 11 December 2005, 01:07 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

There was no tempory speed limit in place. If there was I always stick to those religiously. I have a clean license at the moment and have had since I started driving 13 years ago.
Old 11 December 2005, 04:01 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

The more decent drivers they punish and the worse road safety becomes the bigger our revolution will be!

I mean, does ANYONE feel safer on the roads due to this blind 'speed only' approach to traffic regualtion? The stastistics kill their approach and methodology dead too - patently unsucessful. Still, stick to the limits chaps & you will live forever...
Old 12 December 2005, 07:55 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Paul

Were they on - as in were the speed signs giving you an indiciation? From what I know of those signs, in the past (and during the roadwork stage), they were only on when the road signs were lit to give a speed less than 70 - and even then they had about a 20mpg tolerance. If they were not lit the cameras did not work. As someone who works in Guildford, I use the section between the A3 and M40 a lot and very rarely see them go off.

FYI between Jun 10 and 11 (A3 and the next one!) every gantry has a set of cameras on - it's the most camera enforced piece of road in the country or it would be if every camera were turned on. Driving through there with an Origin b2 and the damn thing doesn't shut up.

What does seem to have happened is the new section of road they enlarged has new cameras on it which they seem to have adjusted both tolerance and the time when it comes on. That said, it is still rare to see them go off so you must be fairly unlucky...

Quick Reply: Yet another speeding thread - 81mph on m25