Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2005, 09:31 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's to blame ?

The following is a story from the Cambridge Evening News website;

Mayor left shaken up by road rage driver

MAYOR Patricia Gregory has been left shaken after her car was damaged in a road rage incident.

The 56-year-old Mayor of St Neots was driving home to Milton Avenue when she was hit by a car speeding in the opposite direction while trying to force another car off the road.

As she went along Crosshall Road at Wednesday lunchtime, she saw two cars flying towards her. The outside car then smashed into hers.

"They must have been doing 60mph at least - and it is only a 30mph road," she said. "He scraped my husband's car, stalled, and then set off at high speed again.

"I could not believe it and have still not got over it. I thought I was dead when I saw these cars going at speed. I couldn't have got out the way, it was very frightening."

Coun Gregory, who has an artificial knee, hip and pelvis from a car accident when she was 16, has been left shaken by the incident which happened at 1.45pm.

"I am very delicate emotionally now," she said. "We want to catch this man." She also said the road needed a speed camera.

Andy Mitchell, aged 31, was travelling through Little Staughton when he came across the other driver coming towards him, talking on his mobile. He sped through a traffic calming point, making Mr Mitchell slam on his brakes and stall his car.

Mr Mitchell, who says he was shaken too, followed the driver and overtook him.

"A couple of times he caused me to hit the curb, and as we got into Crosshall Road he started to overtake me, trying to push me across the side of the road and that's when he hit Pat's car. I just wish I hadn't turned round," he said.

Coun Gregory says the car was dirty white, had Highway Maintenance on the back, and a flashing light on top. On leaving the police station she put her chain of office back on and went to present certificates at the Upside Down Sports Club in St Ives.

The man, driving what is thought to be a Peugeot 406, was white with short black hair and a black goatee beard, and wearing a reflective jacket.

Ring St Neots police on 0845 4564564 with any information about the incident.

For those who don't know the area Little Staughton is probably about 4-5 miles from Crosshall road which is about 1/4 mile into the town (i.e. 30mph) zone after a really nice bit of NSL road.
Old 09 December 2005, 11:18 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question tb or not tb? That is the question!

Originally Posted by RJMS

Who's to blame ?

Seeing as this is Scoobynet, the answer is New Labour, isn't it?
Old 10 December 2005, 12:41 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

The guy that decided to catch up with him on the phone and overtake. Stick to your own business i say. I sometimes use the fone when driving and manage, wouldnt expect some tw*t to chase me for it, much more dangerous.
Old 10 December 2005, 12:55 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I blame PSL
Old 10 December 2005, 10:42 AM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
The guy that decided to catch up with him on the phone and overtake. Stick to your own business i say. I sometimes use the fone when driving and manage, wouldnt expect some tw*t to chase me for it, much more dangerous.
Just couldn't believe the guy they quote, he turned round, chased the other guy for 4/5 miles (believe me that is a lovely stretch of road, I shudder to think of the probable speeds and antics they got up to down there) and then presumably must have been doing 60 in the 30 limit (according to the mayor) when the other guy was trying to overtake him. He then makes himself out to be some kind of "victim". Personally I'd throw the book at him, the whole incident would simply not have happened with out his initial stupidity.

Which is not to say that they shouldn't also throw the book at the Peugeot driver as well.
Old 10 December 2005, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What sort of sports do you do upside down?

On second thoughts, don't answer that

Les
Old 10 December 2005, 12:42 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Regardless of what led up to it, driving at twice the speed limit on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic whilst trying to cause another accident is dangerous driving and so that guy is to blame. The person who turned round was not innocent, seems he massively inflamed the situation and it seems very likely he was also driving dangerously.

I also don't see how the counciller thinks fitting a speed camera would have solved this particular problem.