Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Would you have laughed?
Yes
42.22%
No
57.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Laughing at someone

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2005, 01:23 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Laughing at someone

A friend at work came in this morning laughing that a blind guy in front of her had walked into a lamp post. I said that this was unfair of her as he was obviously unable to see where he was going.

So i thought that i would see what the scooby community think of this. Would you laugh or offer help to him?
Old 05 December 2005, 01:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I would answer to this post ..............

But I can't at the moment as I walked into a lampost this morning and my eyes have blown up

Pete
Old 05 December 2005, 01:28 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mneame
A friend at work came in this morning laughing that a blind guy in front of her had walked into a lamp post. I said that this was unfair of her as he was obviously unable to see where he was going.

So i thought that i would see what the scooby community think of this. Would you laugh or offer help to him?
If someone came into my office laughing about something like they'd leave very quickly with a broken nose.

Bang out or order finding that funny.

chop
Old 05 December 2005, 01:28 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Nice friend you've got. Why on earth would you laugh?? Is he/she under fifteen or something??
Old 05 December 2005, 01:33 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Nice friend you've got. Why on earth would you laugh?? Is he/she under fifteen or something??

My thoughts exactly! Only children who don't know any better would find this sort of thing funny.

I hope you show her the results of this poll.
Old 05 December 2005, 01:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'd find it funny I'm pretty sure then feel guilty about finding it funny. You can't control what you laugh at.....
Old 05 December 2005, 01:38 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I would take offence as the chap was blind,but if he wasn't would it then of been ok to laugh?

Hell yeah!

We laugh every week with folks hurting themselves on the tele Beadles about etc

but if he hit the post because he was blind then no it's not funny!!

Ads

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2005, 01:39 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

I'm glad that you're with me on this one. A few others had a chuckle as well. I seem to be in a minority here at the office.

She's a student, actual age of 23 but i think the nights of £1 a pint may have affected her mental age!!!
Old 05 December 2005, 01:44 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Slightly off topic but the fact you say she is 23 raises an interesting point.

Despite being a 'child' of the pc brigades school of thought she clearly hasn't got a clue.

I see an awful lot of young girls (not guys) in a similar age bracket parking in disabled bays.

Maybe there's a ' I don't give a fúck' link?
Old 05 December 2005, 01:51 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Can any of the people who are voting yes care to justify that action?

Are you all just immature ****** for whom this sort of occurence is a source of amusement? God help you if you ever have to deal with blindness in the real world. This place makes me wonder sometimes, it really does.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:01 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Can any of the people who are voting yes care to justify that action?

Are you all just immature ****** for whom this sort of occurence is a source of amusement? God help you if you ever have to deal with blindness in the real world. This place makes me wonder sometimes, it really does.
The thought of somebody walking into a lampost is something that I think I would find funny. The fact the bloke is blind has no bearing on it. In the instance above I would try to help the guy and check he was Ok but I still think I would get some amusement out of it.

PS I'm not a ***** thanks.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:01 PM
Reality
BANNED

I wouldn't laugh at the time - but when I read the first post I did have a little chuckle.

The "finding the event funny" and "helping the guy at the time" are not mutually exclusive.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:09 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Ok, ***** was the wrong word, apologies. But i'm bemused why this is amusing, other than for titter at people's misfortune culture we've nurtured. I guess i'm just taking it too seriously. Blind people have huge obstacles to overcome. Being laughed at being another one, evidently.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:12 PM
Reality
BANNED

Ok, ***** was the wrong word, apologies. But i'm bemused why this is amusing, other than for titter at people's misfortune culture we've nurtured. I guess i'm just taking it too seriously. Blind people have huge obstacles to overcome. Being laughed at being another one, evidently.
But the blind guy will probably laugh at this himself (assuming he wasn't seriously hurt).

I can see him down the pub chatting to his mates saying "I'm trading that stick/dog (delete as appropriate) in - the ******* things started missing lamp posts".
Old 05 December 2005, 02:17 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
But the blind guy will probably laugh at this himself (assuming he wasn't seriously hurt).

I can see him down the pub chatting to his mates saying "I'm trading that stick/dog (delete as appropriate) in - the ******* things started missing lamp posts".
I agree. Just because he's blind doesn't mean he hasn't got a sense of humour.

Although I'm not blind, I've walked into a lamp post and had to laugh at myself. Walking home from Pub, txting somebody and just stopped dead..staggered backwards a couple of steps and just fell on my ****. I had to just sit there laughing.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:18 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't laugh seeing as the person was blind, I would ask if they were ok and if they needed any help, I agree with an earlier post about the people who laugh having to cope with blindness, would they like to be laughed at?

I remember while on holiday in Germany I was in Hanover one day and there was alot of people young and old begging, one in particular was an oldish man who was blind, a group of about 4-5 kids were pinching the money he had infront of him and he had no idea, the kids thought it so funny and so did other people on the street, I didn't find it very amusing, I didn't know what seemed to be so funny about it.

Last edited by Julz1983; 05 December 2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:26 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jowl
I agree. Just because he's blind doesn't mean he hasn't got a sense of humour.
Of course not. But walking into obstacles isn't a blind person's preferred method for demonstrating this, for your guide. Fortunately, it's relatively unusual that this happens.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:34 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

People laugh at you tel because you are hard of hearing apparently
Old 05 December 2005, 02:35 PM
Stupid
Scooby Regular

David Blunkett didn't have a sense of humour. He was a nasty man.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:39 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
I'd find it funny I'm pretty sure then feel guilty about finding it funny. You can't control what you laugh at.....
I agree with that.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:51 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Of course not. But walking into obstacles isn't a blind person's preferred method for demonstrating this, for your guide. Fortunately, it's relatively unusual that this happens.
Of course.

I think I would actually let out a little chuckle....then feel guilty about it.
Old 05 December 2005, 02:54 PM
Dick Cheese
Scooby Regular

Due to anti-discrimination laws and equal rights for everyone, yes I would laugh just as hard as if a fully-sighted man did the same.

Old 05 December 2005, 02:57 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jowl
Of course.

I think I would actually let out a little chuckle....then feel guilty about it.

Yeah i guess i can understand that reaction. And hopefully ask if you could assist if they'd really hurt themselves.
Old 05 December 2005, 03:02 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Cheese
Due to anti-discrimination laws and equal rights for everyone, yes I would laugh just as hard as if a fully-sighted man did the same.

Point well made
Old 05 December 2005, 03:04 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Yeah i guess i can understand that reaction. And hopefully ask if you could assist if they'd really hurt themselves.
sure. If I was nearby I would definatley make sure they were ok.
Old 05 December 2005, 03:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

When I was in the army we were doing a squadded run down the public pavement when our Platoon Commander decided to give us some verbal encouragement by running backwards and screaming at us.

The entire platoon could see the lamppost looming up at a rate of knots and that our PC was going to make contact with it unless he turned round very quickly and side stepped it. Unfortunately the army teaches you to speak when spoken to and not to interrupt your PC when he is giving you verbal encouragement, so nobody could bring themselves to break army protocal and inform the PC of his impeding doom. He ran backwards straight into it and stopped dead instantly before being fired forwards onto his front on the pavement right between the 2 ranks that were now detouring round the obstacle. I think we had a slight chuckle at his misfortune and funnily enough nobody broke step to assist him!!! naow there is a disaplined platoon

Now that was funny

unfortunately with the army being the organisation that it is the PC did have the last laugh
Old 05 December 2005, 03:13 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

to me it's not about the guy being blind because at the time you wouldn't have known that fact unless you were actually cruel enough to let it happen knowing he was blind , i would find someone walking into a post funny though , because i like all slapstick comedy and after all that is what it was !! intentional or not
Old 05 December 2005, 03:21 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by specialx
I would take offence as the chap was blind,but if he wasn't would it then of been ok to laugh?

Hell yeah!

We laugh every week with folks hurting themselves on the tele Beadles about etc

but if he hit the post because he was blind then no it's not funny!!

Ads
A mate (who can see) did this, years ago. He's an irritatingly good puller of women with **** all else going for him. So he's making eyes at these girls over the road when splatt! Laugh of the week as he made a "waargh" noise as he splatted thus generating an even bigger audience.

J.
Old 05 December 2005, 03:31 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
A mate (who can see) did this, years ago. He's an irritatingly good puller of women with **** all else going for him. So he's making eyes at these girls over the road when splatt! Laugh of the week as he made a "waargh" noise as he splatted thus generating an even bigger audience.

J.
I'm not a good puller of women, but to hinder my chances even more i was driving down the road when i spotted a fit bird walking along the road. I gave it the beep beep, looked across and then mounted the kerb

In response to the question, yes i would have a guilty chuckle but i would deffo make sure the chap was ok as well.
Anyone seen the picture of Ray Charles holding the mic the wrong way round, you know you shouldnt laugh ....
Old 05 December 2005, 03:35 PM
New_scooby_04

This place makes me wonder sometimes, it really does.
Coming from you Tel, that's Rich!

Seriously though, from my experience blind people - and I worked with them for 3 years- are usually the first to chuckle about bumps that didn't do them any real harm....and sometimes those that did!!

Obviously you wouldn't laugh and the time. Standing pointing and laughing without helping would make you a pr*ck. You'd offer assistance and smile about it later on. People bumping into things can be funny- some comedians make a VERY good living out of it. We've all also had the occassional laugh at someone else's expense, even when it's not been PC to do so. Decent folk would stop at the point where a bit of fun becomes malicious though.

There are ways, means and motives behind humour. Like anything else, you just have to use a bit of decency and tact in where and when you find/use it.

NS04

Quick Reply: Laughing at someone