Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

has my son got any rights....

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2005, 09:23 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry has my son got any rights....

...he is 17 and got a part time job at a garage so he can fund himself through his apprentiship at college. on his second week he went in to work as usual and one of the staff said he wasnt needed that day and the boss wanted to see him.he was worried about what his boss wanted to see him for and thought that he was going to get the sack. i told him not to worry, if he hadnt done anything wrong he couldnt get the sack.
he phoned work this morning and his boss said it wasnt working out, and now he has gone to see her.

he has had the job for 2 weeks and this morning i found out that he was only being paid £3.50 an hour...is this wage legal?

can he be given the sack without notice even if he worked part time?
he hasnt been late or anything

i am really angry because it took ages to find a job that fitted round his 3 days a week at college and his boss knew that is why he needed the money.

has he got any rights here?
Old 02 December 2005, 09:26 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he sign a contract of employment?

I think the minimum wage only applies to over 18s?
Old 02 December 2005, 09:30 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i am not sure about a contract, he will be in soon.

i am not sure about the minimum age wage, i am lookingit up now
Old 02 December 2005, 09:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Minimum wage is only for over 18's

I don't think they would have any problem finishing him after only 2 weeks or so. Sorry.

£3.50 an hour My 16 year old gets over £4 an hour at Wickes.

Sara........could your lad not get evening work? That's what mine does. He has 11.5 hours a week as he is full time at 6th form doing "A" levels.
Other ideas are bar work, (collecting glasses etc, for which I don't THINK you have to be over 18), restaurant work, shop work etc.

Alcazar
Old 02 December 2005, 09:36 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

im more shocked that you have a 17 yo son at the minute to be able to deal with the other issues. you look to young to have a son of that age

as above I am also fairly sure you have to be over 18 to get national minimum wage.

you really need to sit him down and find out if he has done something before jumping in with both feet, a normal teenager will tell his mum jack schmit regarding the truth @ that age!!! so I doubt you have the full picture no matter how much you trust him or how much of a "good lad" he is.

have you got a close family friend that he likes? preferably a bloke. get him to talk to him, maybe something will come out maybe not.... if it does, dont flip.

jamo
Old 02 December 2005, 09:41 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
im more shocked that you have a 17 yo son at the minute to be able to deal with the other issues. you look to young to have a son of that age

as above I am also fairly sure you have to be over 18 to get national minimum wage also.

you really need to sit him down and find out if he has done something before jumping in with both feet, a normal teenager will tell his mum jack schmit regarding the truth @ that age!!! so I doubt you have the full picture no matter how much you trust him or how much of a "good lad" he is.

have you got a close family friend that he likes? prefereably a bloke. get him to talk to him, maybe something will come out maybe not.... if it does, dont flip.

jamo
lol, i have a son of 22 as well

we are very close and he tells me most things, the rest i find out

i was here when he was on the phone, he seemed pretty angry at the un- fairness of it.
he will be back in a bit..fingers crossed

i dont suppose anyone here needs a joiners mate
Old 02 December 2005, 09:44 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2005, 09:45 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The important issue here is:

Was your son employed as an apprentice?

or

Was your son employed as a labourer?

If it is the first of the two then your son is protected by a loads of leglislation. If the latter - then nothing - sorry.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:47 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

update.....

said son has arrived home....after being sacked

apparently he had stacked some things in the place during a 2-3 hour shift and the boss had to get in extra staff on extra pay to put it right
he was not told at the time that there was a problem, he said he would have put it right if he had known.

now i have an unemployed chav son

my son was working at a petrol station not as a joiner, he needed the job for college
Old 02 December 2005, 09:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

My eldest lost a job "unfairly" When I dug a bit deeper, including an informal chat with the place that employed him's HR bod, I found it wasn't as cut and dried as he'd led me to think.

Now I'm NOT saying that your lad is the same, but...........be careful.

Depending on where you are based, I really wouldn't have thought that he'd be out of work, even part time work, for long, if he's only committed to 3 days a week?

On the other hand, you could live up here At the last count, we have one of the highest PERCENTAGES of unemployed in the country, and HMG, bless 'em have just announced that we also have one of the highest rates of *"NEET"s too.

* NEET: Not in Education, Employment, or Training........applies to younger people ony IIRC.

Alcazar
Old 02 December 2005, 09:49 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by sarasquares
now i have an unemployed chav son
and he has a milf mum

chop
Old 02 December 2005, 09:51 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

LOL only you chop
Old 02 December 2005, 09:51 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
and he has a milf mum

chop
Old 02 December 2005, 09:53 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

could he not get a job as an apprentice?

Yes, the money is pants (initally). But he'll get so much more out of it in the long run.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:54 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
My eldest lost a job "unfairly" When I dug a bit deeper, including an informal chat with the place that employed him's HR bod, I found it wasn't as cut and dried as he'd led me to think.

Now I'm NOT saying that your lad is the same, but...........be careful.

Depending on where you are based, I really wouldn't have thought that he'd be out of work, even part time work, for long, if he's only committed to 3 days a week?

On the other hand, you could live up here At the last count, we have one of the highest PERCENTAGES of unemployed in the country, and HMG, bless 'em have just announced that we also have one of the highest rates of *"NEET"s too.

* NEET: Not in Education, Employment, or Training........applies to younger people ony IIRC.

Alcazar
it is really difficult to get a part time job that fits around 3 days a week at college, and he isnt old enough to work on a building site cos of the 'health and safety'.
Old 02 December 2005, 09:55 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by chopper.
and he has a milf mum

chop
I agree whole heartedly MILF MILF MILF
Old 02 December 2005, 09:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

After your update: sorry he's sacked, but it's not the end of the world

Get him out there looking and asking. Even if places aren't advertising, they may still be taking on. My lad just asked at Wickes on the off-chance when he was in with me getting some screws, and they just happened to be starting to look as one of the girls was leaving to go to uni He does Saturday, or Sunday, and one or two 3 hour shifts per weekday. Not onerous, but he's on £180pm or so, which, to him, is millions!

Also, don't let your lad dismiss stuff as not good enough, or not a "boy" job. I know of quite a few lads in my youngest's group who RELUCTANTLY took jobs like that (no others up here ), and now love them, and the people they work with.

Alcazar
Old 02 December 2005, 09:56 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

webby v7 slipperwagon is a carpenter. might be worth asking? he might know someone or something, hes a good bloke too
Old 02 December 2005, 09:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

it is really difficult to get a part time job that fits around 3 days a week at college, and he isnt old enough to work on a building site cos of the 'health and safety'.
ABSOLUTELY NOT! It's a lot harder to get one that fits around 5 days a week full-time 6th form, but my lad's done it. Is yours not willing to give up weekends/evenings, then? IMO, if he wants to be paid, he'll have to.

Alcazar
Old 02 December 2005, 09:59 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
LOL only you chop
hello mate - its good to be back

chop
Old 02 December 2005, 10:04 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

getting a placement in an apprenticship is whats meant to happen. is it a GNVQ hes doing, because from what i know of the system, its not an apprenticship.

GNVQ's are college based only, where as the NVQ is at very least work based on the job training with a day and possibly a night release to college.

i finished mine in mechanical engineering 3 yrs ago so i doubt very much it will have changed.

i would say your best bet it to get your lad moving rather than fighting the garage, go see the carreers advice and his college tutor, u will be suprised at what they can actually do for you f you get them onside

i hope it works out for your son anyway

cheers
john
Old 02 December 2005, 10:07 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

he is doing his Foundation and construction award its a 3 year course

he went for a job at B&Q but they said he had to be over 18 because of the health and safty regs.

i think all warehouse work is the same

i'd love for him to work in the field that he is training but again the regulations apply
Old 02 December 2005, 10:27 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I don't think it appplies if he's an apprentice
Old 02 December 2005, 11:11 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i will have a word with a friend, she is doing this but at degree level.she works for a fairky large company, sir robert mc alpine or summit to that effect. see if she can find out what normal for inducting apprentices in that industry.

cheers
john
Old 02 December 2005, 11:52 AM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

A lot of apprentices are under 18, I started mine at 16 straight from school and this was fairly normal

What is he doing at college? if he wants to get a trade then the best bet is to get an apprenticeship and live with the carp money for a couple of years until he has his papers and then at 21 he will be earning a good income.

tbh losing that job sounds like a blessing, slave labour and no prospects
Old 02 December 2005, 01:54 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by monty baber
live with the carp money
they pay you in fish Whats wrong with good old cash eh??
Old 02 December 2005, 01:59 PM
monty baber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
they pay you in fish Whats wrong with good old cash eh??
Well I do live in Dorset ooohaaarh fish is our main currency closely followed by hay
Old 02 December 2005, 02:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

he went for a job at B&Q but they said he had to be over 18 because of the health and safty regs.
on this. As mentioned, my youngest works part-time at Wickes, and is only 16. Wickes are PAYING him extra hours to go in and do the H&S training for the job, which will then lead to a City and Guilds certificate, which he can take away with him if/when he leaves.

I'd have thought that a kid could get into more H&S issues at Wickes than at B&Q, but hey, what do I know?

Sara: your posts ALMOST come over as making excuses for him NOT to work. If you sound like that at home, I'm surprised he ever bothered.

Alcazar
Old 02 December 2005, 03:54 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
on this. As mentioned, my youngest works part-time at Wickes, and is only 16. Wickes are PAYING him extra hours to go in and do the H&S training for the job, which will then lead to a City and Guilds certificate, which he can take away with him if/when he leaves.

I'd have thought that a kid could get into more H&S issues at Wickes than at B&Q, but hey, what do I know?

Sara: your posts ALMOST come over as making excuses for him NOT to work. If you sound like that at home, I'm surprised he ever bothered.

Alcazar
i deffo have not been soft on him, i make him do the house- work which he hates

he has been everywhere to get a job and cold called loads of places. i even brought him a motorbike so he could work further afield...but he is not allowed to use it for pleasure i only let him use it for college and work. he hates this but it gives him an incentive, no work no play

i might get him ellocution lessons so he doesnt talk like a 17 year old teen

i rang the C.A.B and they said that it is usually down to the employer if they want to take responsibility for a young worker in a warehouse enviroment, they have to do a risk assesment themselves.he is not allowed to do night shifts until he is older. they also told me that the minimum wage at 17 is £3.00ph
Old 02 December 2005, 06:08 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

There are 2 types of apprenticeship that I deal with; work based learning (WBL) with day release to college; & programme led apprenticeships (PLA) which are totally college based.

It is up to the young person to find their own employer with WBL which is why plumbing and carpentry courses are easy to get onto because it's nearly impossible to find an employer to take you on.

Apprenticeships are not subject to minimum wage - the minimum is £40 per week I think, but most of ours pay £85-120 a week.

There are certain jobs under 18s can't do including night work. It is a really hard time of year for under 18s to find work, part-time or otherwise. MacDonalds are always recruiting though, but most of the kids I deal with wouldn't want to work there!

If he has a local Connexions centre, they can help him do a CV to drop off at shops with a letter stating what hours he can work. They even may have some part-time jobs advertised in there, but it might be different in Herts.....

Quick Reply: has my son got any rights....